No announcement yet.

Taking over my local boxing club?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking over my local boxing club?

Just looking to see if their is any head trainers here who can chip in a bit of advice.

After I stopped competing a couple of years ago now,I decided to still hang around the gyms training the younger lads, I was offered a job by a local (rival) boxing club after a year and took it.

I have been training boxers in the gym for over a year now,and I am involved and invested in the club.
    Its great to see the young lads implementing things I'm showing them in competitive fights,and the club has been really successful this year.
    I have been working the corners as both a second and first, depending on how well I know the fighter.

After been given more responsibility within the club,and becoming the main corner man, The trainer came to me a few weeks ago and said he was looking to retire after this year.
    I was a bit surprised when he said he wants me to take over from him as head coach of the club this has been something I wanted,but didn't expect it so quick.

Since then I have traveled everywhere with the club, getting introduced to other clubs and getting to know other boxers from different clubs and all of that, in the middle of getting my coaching badges and ref and judging licences now.

Tomorrow is my first real chance as "head coach" as I take a team with me to a different club for "sparing".

This is the first time it will be just me (and a couple parent's of the underage lads) with a team of boxers.

Their is plenty of other coach's in the club,all with alot of experience, so I'm never shy in asking or listening to their opinion,although the club is moving to a different level now.

Has anyone here got experience as a head coach? Or has worked as an assistant or coach in a competitive gym? (Competitive as in regular national titles and possibly boxing for national team).

A helpful ear going forward would be appreciated. People I can bounce ideas off and what not.

Man I just want to congratulate you on everything you've done in the sport. Well done job, wish you all the best in the years to come. Would give green k if I could.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmc View Post
      Just looking to see if their is any head trainers here who can chip in a bit of advice.

After I stopped competing a couple of years ago now,I decided to still hang around the gyms training the younger lads, I was offered a job by a local (rival) boxing club after a year and took it.

I have been training boxers in the gym for over a year now,and I am involved and invested in the club.
      Its great to see the young lads implementing things I'm showing them in competitive fights,and the club has been really successful this year.
      I have been working the corners as both a second and first, depending on how well I know the fighter.

After been given more responsibility within the club,and becoming the main corner man, The trainer came to me a few weeks ago and said he was looking to retire after this year.
      I was a bit surprised when he said he wants me to take over from him as head coach of the club this has been something I wanted,but didn't expect it so quick.

Since then I have traveled everywhere with the club, getting introduced to other clubs and getting to know other boxers from different clubs and all of that, in the middle of getting my coaching badges and ref and judging licences now.

Tomorrow is my first real chance as "head coach" as I take a team with me to a different club for "sparing".

This is the first time it will be just me (and a couple parent's of the underage lads) with a team of boxers.

Their is plenty of other coach's in the club,all with alot of experience, so I'm never shy in asking or listening to their opinion,although the club is moving to a different level now.

Has anyone here got experience as a head coach? Or has worked as an assistant or coach in a competitive gym? (Competitive as in regular national titles and possibly boxing for national team).

A helpful ear going forward would be appreciated. People I can bounce ideas off and what not.
      I got an offer once to help out as an assistant at a local club. Was way too much responsibility for me. I didn't want to agree to something where I wasn't sure if I could follow through.

Comment

Local club lingo too much in the center of the tornado waterfall

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
          Man I just want to congratulate you on everything you've done in the sport. Well done job, wish you all the best in the years to come. Would give green k if I could.
          Thanks, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
            I got an offer once to help out as an assistant at a local club. Was way too much responsibility for me. I didn't want to agree to something where I wasn't sure if I could follow through.
            Ya it is a lot of responsibility, especially when it comes to match making and making sure your fighter isn't put in against someone who is a couple of levels above, or 2 strong kind of thing.

Also the responsibility with the kids, but more importantly the responsibility you have to some of the boxers with big ambition.

For example their is a few boxers who will be very very disappointed if they don't win a national title and possibly box for national team(this year) (again).
            They listen to every word you tell them, so these young lads are putting their faith in you to tell them right things and so on, so its not much of a responsibility, but more a pressured desire.
            I don't want to tell a lad go out and do this and that at a big tournament,and it doesn't work,kinda thing.thats a years training down the drain!
            Obviously everything isnt always gonna work,but you know what I'm saying. Ha
            Last edited by stephenmc; 02-17-2018, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmc View Post
              Ya it is a lot of responsibility, especially when it comes to match making and making sure your fighter isn't put in against someone who is a couple of levels above, or 2 strong kind of thing.

Also the responsibility with the kids, but more importantly the responsibility you have to some of the boxers with big ambition.

For example their is a few boxers who will be very very disappointed if they don't win a national title and possibly box for national team(this year) (again).
              They listen to every word you tell them, so these young lads are putting their faith in you to tell them right things and so on, so its not much of a responsibility, but more a pressured desire.
              I don't want to tell a lad go out and do this and that at a big tournament,and it doesn't work,kinda thing.thats a years training down the drain!
              Obviously everything isnt always gonna work,but you know what I'm saying. Ha
              Maybe you might become the next McCracken and start driving the fancy cars like he does.

Comment

Post here in the training or pm me and I'll offer you my opinions.

I was a state, regional and national trainer during the USA/ABF period.
                I've held licenses as a chief second corner all over the USA and in Europe.
                Your correct with understanding your biggest concern is matching novice young men against opponents that are at the same experience level.
                That takes a few shows to pay attention to other trainers and how they conduct themselves with match making.
                Once your "open class" you and your fighter are ready for all comers.

Ray

Comment

Working...
                X