Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Isnt Sumbu Kalambay in the hall of fame?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Isnt Sumbu Kalambay in the hall of fame?

He beat Barkley, Steve collins, Mike Mccallum, Robbie Sims, Doug dewit and Herol Graham. Thats four former world champion, top contender sims and one of the best fighters never to win a title graham. For me Kalambay is alot more worthy than some fighters who have already be inducted.

There are many fighters HOF worthy that are not in yet. Lloyd Marshall, Donald Curry, Marlon Starling and Hilario Zapata are a few of many not yet in. Kalambay will be in one day, I believe

Comment

Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
      There are many fighters HOF worthy that are not in yet. Lloyd Marshall, Donald Curry, Marlon Starling and Hilario Zapata are a few of many not yet in. Kalambay will be in one day, I believe
      To be honest besides curry think he is much more worthy than any of the fighters you have listed above.

Comment

Kalambay was a great stylist. I think his legacy got hurt by his loss to Nunn.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078...pf_rd_i=507846

Comment

Originally posted by MarkScott View Post
          Kalambay was a great stylist. I think his legacy got hurt by his loss to Nunn.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078...pf_rd_i=507846
          Yes, this is very true. That one single loss is the bane of his career and is the reason he is basically a forgotten fighter, or at least very overlooked. At his best he was truly stunning and one of the best pure boxers I've seen, bar none.

Sadly, when he got blasted out by Nunn, which I still just can't fathom, everything he had worked for disappeared. Great fighter who may just get in the HOF some day.

For those who haven't seen his fight with McCallum, the first one, it is a must have. Brilliant fight and an amazing display of really fine boxing by both guys. Incredible.

He also had some, shall we say, interesting decisions given against him over his career. Yeah, some great wins though and while his title days sadly didn't last long at all, he did beat a lot of very good fighters. Undefeated Graham, undefeated McCallum, Barkley etc etc among some very good contenders too and other great champions.
          Last edited by BennyST; 04-24-2009, 03:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
            Yes, this is very true. That one single loss is the bane of his career and is the reason he is basically a forgotten fighter, or at least very overlooked. At his best he was truly stunning and one of the best pure boxers I've seen, bar none.

Sadly, when he got blasted out by Nunn, which I still just can't fathom, everything he had worked for disappeared. Great fighter who may just get in the HOF some day.

For those who haven't seen his fight with McCallum, the first one, it is a must have. Brilliant fight and an amazing display of really fine boxing by both guys. Incredible.

He also had some, shall we say, interesting decisions given against him over his career.
            I think the second fight was actually a better display of their skills even though both were older. Very competitive fight with McCallum winning most of the early rounds and Kalambay adjusting in the late rounds. In the first fight Kalambay had the advantage over McCallum all the way which is incredible.

I believe Kalambay always had some trouble in the early rounds, he was down more than a couple of times in the first round against worse fighters than Nunn, only Nunn was able to take advantage of it by finishing Kalambay off with one punch. I guess he could be caught "cold" but if the fight had went rounds, Nunn may have been in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
              I think the second fight was actually a better display of their skills even though both were older. Very competitive fight with McCallum winning most of the early rounds and Kalambay adjusting in the late rounds. In the first fight Kalambay had the advantage over McCallum all the way which is incredible.

I believe Kalambay always had some trouble in the early rounds, he was down more than a couple of times in the first round against worse fighters than Nunn, only Nunn was able to take advantage of it by finishing Kalambay off with one punch. I guess he could be caught "cold" but if the fight had went rounds, Nunn may have been in trouble.
              Yeah, exactly. It was a real pity. It shot Nunn up to massive fame and through Kalambay to the background and being that he was such a risk fighter, the majority of managers did everything they could to avoid him at all costs and it didn't look bad on their fighters part after that loss.

Comment

The HOF isn't about greatness it's about having a fan-base. If a fighter has a large enough following of fans he gets in, if he doesn't then he won't. Sadly, Kalamaby lacks that fan following regardless of how good he was in the ring.

Poet

Comment

Here are highlights of the two fights between McCallum and Kalambay:

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post

I think it was perhaps more the case of Kalambay having trouble with southpaws. He also lost to Ayub Kalule on points despite having homefield advantage.

Comment

Working...
                    X