• Show
Clear All

• Had my First Amateur Fight

Copyright........
    Last edited by DinoCop; 02-10-2020, 07:48 PM. Reason: Copyright

How experienced was the other guy?

Comment

Hard to say without maybe seeing a vid.

The refs job is first and foremost to look after a fighters safety. If the other guy was experienced, good form, relaxed and hitting you the ref may have thought you were way out your depth. If you see back video you may see his wild hooks as not so wild. Hey I'm guessing here so please don't be offended.

If he was starting to land more and more and by your own admission your hand touched canvas and he scored KD, straight away, the ref is going to be on his toes, ready to dive in.

Please post a vid if you gave.

On another note, forget about the L. Chalk it up to experience, learn, adjust, come back stronger.

Nearly all the greats have Ls on their records

Comment

Originally posted by Richard P View Post
        Hard to say without maybe seeing a vid.

The refs job is first and foremost to look after a fighters safety. If the other guy was experienced, good form, relaxed and hitting you the ref may have thought you were way out your depth. If you see back video you may see his wild hooks as not so wild. Hey I'm guessing here so please don't be offended.

If he was starting to land more and more and by your own admission your hand touched canvas and he scored KD, straight away, the ref is going to be on his toes, ready to dive in.

Please post a vid if you gave.

On another note, forget about the L. Chalk it up to experience, learn, adjust, come back stronger.

Nearly all the greats have Ls on their records
        Thx for your attentions and respect your experience. The guy is my friend from the same gym, his first fight also. He was just unloading, losing his control like he does in sparring and fade in the 2 round.
        But the ref thought he was dominant and stopped it for my good.
        Is that the way it happens in amateurs, thats what i want to know? Also his breaking us everytime we go inside and warning me for bending at the waist? Aren't these tolerated in amateurs?

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
          How experienced was the other guy?
          First fight, guy from the same gym, panicked and started to unload to fade even in the first rd. I knew it but things didn't go my way .

Comment

Got a video for us to watch?

Comment

Originally posted by Rovi View Post
              Thx for your attentions and respect your experience. The guy is my friend from the same gym, his first fight also. He was just unloading, losing his control like he does in sparring and fade in the 2 round.
              But the ref thought he was dominant and stopped it for my good.
              Is that the way it happens in amateurs, thats what i want to know? Also his breaking us everytime we go inside and warning me for bending at the waist? Aren't these tolerated in amateurs?
              If we started to unload a lot of punches and you didn't answer back after around 10 - 15 shots, yes the ref will start to make a count. if he sees you in trouble he will stop the fight. Amateur rules.

Comment

Upload a video. And if Ward-Kovalev 2, final round, as a blueprint to stop any opponent in his tracks when he starts to unload.

Comment

You don't have to be hit 10-15 tines to get a count, one solid punch that connects could warrant a count. It all depends.

I'm guessing the "philly shell" you were using was not really a philly shell,and that is no good for the amateurs anyway,and could warrant a warning for turning your back.

On the bending at the waistline comment, you more than likely dropped your head...you can go as low as you like as long as your head is up,as in you still have your eyes on your opponents eyes. This is protect not just the other fighter but you too.

I suggest you watch some amateur fights and not all pro,and keep I simple.

Keeping your hands down,swinging wild hooks, and ducking your head and turning your back,all are "illegal" so to speak,

The ref is their to protect you,and ya some refs jump a bit too early,but if he saw that your hands were down,didn't really understand what you were doing etc..., then once you take one solid shot or a shot you didn't see he's gonna jump straight in with a count.....

Also so you know for future you mainly only get 2 counts, as in finished after your second count... Unless your still in the fight.

Comment

If you're just covering up and getting unloaded on, a good amateur ref will give you an 8 count for safety, because you are not intelligently defending yourself and you may be rattled. You have to always impose your will and be in dominant positions in your fight and make sure the ref and judges see that. Pros can get away with rope a dope stuff, amateurs can not.

Posture is important to amateur referees and will be enforced. As the previous posters stated, wild head movements, not turning shots over, eyes on the ground, the ref is going to stop that. It can lead to injury and it's poor form. I suggest anyone who wants to compete in amateur boxing stop watching pro fights as a reference. Watch good amateur boxers competing and note the differences.

Congrats on your first fight, first 10 fights don't matter just have fun and learn.

Comment

Working...
                    X