No announcement yet.

King Missile appreciation thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOLY S**T!] King Missile appreciation thread

Why does this guy never seem to get the credit he deserves for helping shape the identity of alternative and indie music during the 1990s? Every dip**** with an internet connection is so quick to praise the more mainstream acts of the day like Oasis or Nirvana, but without a deeper understanding of the nuanced aesthetics of the period or a comprehensive analysis of the subtle craftsmanship their premise lacks conviction.

Hence the creation of this thread. I know I've talked with several of you over the years about the era of art that King Missle spearheaded, so let's talk about his influence, substance, and most importantly, his legacy in this thread.

Bow down to the king.

Last edited by ßringer; 05-22-2016, 10:58 PM.

Great song, great video. Jhonny has a retractable black snake!

Comment

Great early 90's alternative rock song. It's a funny and weird song but the melody and guitar/keyboards are really funky...

Comment

Man, I've never heard of King Missile before! Pretty dope vid funky, i'll youtube binge a few tunes of his, and use this thread to learn of him. Was he a bit of a pioneer of them times or would that be an understatement?

God's honest I've never heard of the name! But I like a lot of genres, always looking for new tunes (even if it's old, never heard it so it's new to me if that makes sense), so I shall inspect the old bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by JabRight View Post
          Man, I've never heard of King Missile before! Pretty dope vid funky, i'll youtube binge a few tunes of his, and use this thread to learn of him. Was he a bit of a pioneer of them times or would that be an understatement?

God's honest I've never heard of the name! But I like a lot of genres, always looking for new tunes (even if it's old, never heard it so it's new to me if that makes sense), so I shall inspect the old bastard.
          It's kinda unfortunate because it's only gonna get worse from this point on. This is his ultimate tune, the crème de la crème, the cherry on the top of the whole genre, the seed that sprouted numerous famous artists and sub-genres.

To say King Missile was a mere pioneer would be an understatement in the same league as: Albert Einstein had briefly dabbled in Physics, that Hitler had a minor disagreement with Jews or that Righteous was only dropped on his head once as a child.

You might not have heard of the name but the greatest thing in music is moving out of the underground scene where he has lay dormant. He will spread like Herpes in a country where Manny Pacquiao is in a position of power and bless everyone's ears with his genius.

Put simply, King Missile is our God and Bringer is one of his many prophets.

Comment

Originally posted by Barn View Post
            It's kinda unfortunate because it's only gonna get worse from this point on. This is his ultimate tune, the crème de la crème, the cherry on the top of the whole genre, the seed that sprouted numerous famous artists and sub-genres.

To say King Missile was a mere pioneer would be an understatement in the same league as: Albert Einstein had briefly dabbled in Physics, that Hitler had a minor disagreement with Jews or that Righteous was only dropped on his head once as a child.

You might not have heard of the name but the greatest thing in music is moving out of the underground scene where he has lay dormant. He will spread like Herpes in a country where Manny Pacquiao is in a position of power and bless everyone's ears with his genius.

Put simply, King Missile is our God and Bringer is one of his many prophets.
            Right, starting to see the bigger picture, thanks Barn. Good to see you on here again man. Also, hope uni is going well for you! x

Comment

Originally posted by JabRight View Post
              Right, starting to see the bigger picture, thanks Barn. Good to see you on here again man. Also, hope uni is going well for you! x
              Cheers dude. Hit the chat up, ****. Hope you're not struggling not to be homeless like you were last time.

Comment

Let's be honest with ourselves. King Missle was a one-hit wonder. "Detachable Penis" is certainly a top 90s alt song but to call them pioneers is a bit much. Dinosaur Jr. and Primus both were playing the same kind of music as KM around the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Barn View Post
                  Cheers dude. Hit the chat up, ****. Hope you're not struggling not to be homeless like you were last time.
                  Nah been renting a flat the last 18 months now, looking for a house and mortgage this summer, things turned around over the last couple years, was not easy! Went through a few awful months.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                    Let's be honest with ourselves. King Missle was a one-hit wonder. "Detachable Penis" is certainly a top 90s alt song but to call them pioneers is a bit much. Dinosaur Jr. and Primus both were playing the same kind of music as KM around the same time.
                    How can you name drop bands like Primus or Dinosaur Jr. in the same breath wherein you're apparently attributing influence solely to the number of hits one has?

The Pixies or Joy Division weren't exactly revered for their number of chart toppers.

Comment

Working...
                    X