No announcement yet.

Haymon sports competition

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haymon sports competition

Since the creation of the PBC boxing in America has changed drastically. The most obvious is the new found interest in boxing from many different organizations and people. Matchroom, UFC, roc nation, ringstar, wbss, etc. all of these groups have made a play for the American industry. Some have been more successful than others. However they all tried to expand boxing in the states in a less conventional way. Last year the court ruled that Haymons sports goal was to increase competition in the boxing market. Now Matchroom has a 1bn dollar streaming deal, The worlds most powerful talent agency is now getting into the boxing business, and Top rank has a 360 deal With ESPN, and WBSS is becoming more relevant. My question is What do you all think is the endgame for Haymon now that there are a number of power players ready to take his position in USA?

Originally posted by lanker rom View Post
    Since the creation of the PBC boxing in America has changed drastically. The most obvious is the new found interest in boxing from many different organizations and people. Matchroom, UFC, roc nation, ringstar, wbss, etc. all of these groups have made a play for the American industry. Some have been more successful than others. However they all tried to expand boxing in the states in a less conventional way. Last year the court ruled that Haymons sports goal was to increase competition in the boxing market. Now Matchroom has a 1bn dollar streaming deal, The worlds most powerful talent agency is now getting into the boxing business, and Top rank has a 360 deal With ESPN, and WBSS is becoming more relevant. My question is What do you all think is the endgame for Haymon now that there are a number of power players ready to take his position in USA?
    Showtime/CBS as the premium platform with FOX/FS1 as the platform for the general public (that feeds fights/fighters into Showtime).

You grow the rights fee for the general product with Fox Sports, you deliver content for Showtime/CBS, and you hope for the occasional blockbuster PPV fight and possibly a PPV star.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
      Showtime/CBS as the premium platform with FOX/FS1 as the platform for the general public (that feeds fights/fighters into Showtime).

You grow the rights fee for the general product with Fox Sports, you deliver content for Showtime/CBS, and you hope for the occasional blockbuster PPV fight and possibly a PPV star.
      You think this is a winning plan heading in the 2020's? Sounds like the plan most promoters had for the last 3 decades to me. Although I guess you did say CBS along with Showtime, but again that doesn't seem to be maximized or used with much intelligence based on what I've seen. And even taking CBS into account as an addition to the old timey TV plan its still like 90% or w/e of the old timey plan.

I still say Haymon is on another plan now or he's just keeping this thing going for as long as possible hoping to get another round of investments cuz if this recent Hearn deal told us anything there is still a lot of money to be made in boxing & even if you lit $500M-ish on fire its possible to get all that back with these 1B dollar boxing deals that will be coming up some more in the future. Just cuz Hearn got the 1st one don't mean it'll be the last.

Comment

I feel boxing and sports will head towards a Netflix type direction.

6 years a go people laughed at me when I got love film. However a monthly subscription and easy access to content is the winning formaula.

TV companies will struggle and boxing promoters do not rely on Sky/HBO etc like in the pass.

Boxing may be free to air in some cases, and on subscription for others. Social media is going to be a big factor in the next 10 years and since we will all one day be able to watch the exact same broadcast around the World, production may be cheaper and there will be less percetange cut to cable companies and TV networks.

I also feel there may be a push for a UFC type competition that will succeed over others by 10 years too. The 4 big belts may be used within it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          You think this is a winning plan heading in the 2020's? Sounds like the plan most promoters had for the last 3 decades to me. Although I guess you did say CBS along with Showtime, but again that doesn't seem to be maximized or used with much intelligence based on what I've seen. And even taking CBS into account as an addition to the old timey TV plan its still like 90% or w/e of the old timey plan.

I still say Haymon is on another plan now or he's just keeping this thing going for as long as possible hoping to get another round of investments cuz if this recent Hearn deal told us anything there is still a lot of money to be made in boxing & even if you lit $500M-ish on fire its possible to get all that back with these 1B dollar boxing deals that will be coming up some more in the future. Just cuz Hearn got the 1st one don't mean it'll be the last.
          Who the **** is going to give Haymon money after all he's thrown away with PBC?

Comment

I think there are a lot of moving parts that are starting to fall in place. From that, you will (or not) see the TV deal fall in place. There is no way Haymon is looking for another round of investments. And I think he's sitting on more money from the initial investment than folks care to admit.

You mention that it's an antiquated plan, but the best solution is to latch on to a network with a solid streaming/app platform. Best of both worlds. Fans want to pay for one or the other, not both.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post

Thanks for keeping this thread alive. I believe that these two networks will be the anchors to his plan

Comment

Great Post!!! I also think there is more to it than two network because in the beginning of pbc they had a heavy focus on internet accessibility to fights like hiring alex balfour and david marshall. Also they taking a heavy focus on facebook and twitter at first if I my memory serves me correctly.

I don't think they'll use another investment however ryan Caldwell has created chiron investments so you never know

Comment

Originally posted by PensionKiller View Post
                  I feel boxing and sports will head towards a Netflix type direction.

6 years a go people laughed at me when I got love film. However a monthly subscription and easy access to content is the winning formaula.

TV companies will struggle and boxing promoters do not rely on Sky/HBO etc like in the pass.

Boxing may be free to air in some cases, and on subscription for others. Social media is going to be a big factor in the next 10 years and since we will all one day be able to watch the exact same broadcast around the World, production may be cheaper and there will be less percetange cut to cable companies and TV networks.

I also feel there may be a push for a UFC type competition that will succeed over others by 10 years too. The 4 big belts may be used within it.

It would definitely be wise to put boxing on multiple platforms. May-pacs revenue was extremely large. With that said it proves that when done correctly boxing can match the intrigue of major sports like nba, nfl, or baseball especially worldwide

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
                    Who the **** is going to give Haymon money after all he's thrown away with PBC?
                    There were reports saying the money was gone literally months after it began. I think its safe to say at this point the guy can atleast count his money

Comment

Working...
                    X