Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP: Question for boxing EXPERTS, true experts.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP: Question for boxing EXPERTS, true experts.

So I’m listening to yahoo sports history of the heavyweight division podcast with Steve bunce, it’s really good, check it out, but I’m on the 1960s and he says that there is only one heavyweight championship.

Which one was that? Which of the heavyweight championships was the first one? WBC, wba, wbo?

Side question: why is AJ only now making noise about wilder, where was he before, he’s acting like a guy scared of being frozen out

Originally posted by Mr Giggles View Post
    So I’m listening to yahoo sports history of the heavyweight division podcast with Steve bunce, it’s really good, check it out, but I’m on the 1960s and he says that there is only one heavyweight championship.

Which one was that? Which of the heavyweight championships was the first one? WBC, wba, wbo?

Side question: why is AJ only now making noise about wilder, where was he before, he’s acting like a guy scared of being frozen out
    Fury exposes Wilder and now AJ thinks he can beat him.

Comment

That would be Randy Mencianni, who reigned the HW division before it was regulated and recognized by any sanctioning body. It wasn't until 1968 that the council of Tennessee acknowledged and approved the first ranking list known as "The Pound Per Pound"; which we know today as P4P. History books do not recognize him but he was the first to obtain a title from an authorized governing body.

Comment

It was NBA until 1962, and then it became WBA.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Giggles View Post

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
          It was NBA until 1962, and then it became WBA.
          Yes, the WBA were the first. They were formed in America in 1921 and were originally known as the National Boxing Association (NBA). They relocated to Panama and became the WBA in 1962.

The WBC were formed in 1963.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Boxing_Association

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Toffee View Post
              Now I’m confused, this pic says that the wbc is the oldest hw belt but people saying that the wba is the oldest

Comment

No it doesn't. WBC is just in the same column as the "Universal" title.

Ring have awarded belts the longest, by the way (actually Lonsdale in Britain).

Comment

I'm no expert, but I was under the impression the WBC was the oldest recognized world sanctioning body

Comment

Originally posted by Zaryu View Post
                    I'm no expert, but I was under the impression the WBC was the oldest recognized world sanctioning body
                    Nope, its the WBA..

Comment

Working...
                    X