No announcement yet.

Ortiz says he was just retaliating to Floyd's elbows

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
    Is he going to claim Mayweather is ducking a rematch like he is about Maidana? And say the guy who beat his ass isn't in his league like he did Maidana?

Funny how tough Ortiz can act when he isn't in the ring getting his ass beat.
    "floyd doesn't belong in the ring with me" .

Comment

After the fight when they showed the clip Ortiz was trying to explain how the headbutt was accidental and now he's saying it was a retaliation for the elbows? So.. Which one was it Victor?

Comment

Lets be honest, the headbutts were part of the plan from the beginning. Ortiz's camp felt they could compensate for the skill gap by overwhelming floyd (it is a good plan). Thats why Ortiz showed up so heavy for the fight. He thought he would bully floyd with the size advantage. The problem is that style only works if your somebody like Antonio Magarito who wont go down unless hes put down. He probably thought he could mix the butt in with his punches and attribute them as to being a result of a basic orthodox/ southpaw confrontation. Notice how each time he threw the butt he tried to throw a punch afterward. He just couldnt be subtle at all and they each came out looking blatent as hell.

Comment

we know floyd uses a lot of those elbows but when and if you fight fire with fire, while still fighting, do not be all of of a sudden be friendly, hugging ang kissing ...

Comment

Originally posted by Shogunofharlem1 View Post
            Lets be honest, the headbutts were part of the plan from the beginning. Ortiz's camp felt they could compensate for the skill gap by overwhelming floyd (it is a good plan). Thats why Ortiz showed up so heavy for the fight. He thought he would bully floyd with the size advantage. The problem is that style only works if your somebody like Antonio Magarito who wont go down unless hes put down. He probably thought he could mix the butt in with his punches and attribute them as to being a result of a basic orthodox/ southpaw confrontation. Notice how each time he threw the butt he tried to throw a punch afterward. He just couldnt be subtle at all and they each came out looking blatent as hell.
            But if they planed to overwehelm Floyd (and I agree, you're right), then it was a bad idea for Ortiz to spend 1/2 of the fight running from Floyd.

Side note: Floyd is a tough kid. Very underrated in that area. Didn't complain/retaliate against the early butts and rabbit punches.

Comment

Originally posted by StrD View Post
              After the fight when they showed the clip Ortiz was trying to explain how the headbutt was accidental and now he's saying it was a retaliation for the elbows? So.. Which one was it Victor?
              It's like everything else with Ortiz... the story always changes.

Against Maidana:
              I broke my hand the week before the fight
              I don't remember anything about that night. It never happened.

About Parents
              They left us at the bus stop
              We just waited for them to come home.

About Floyd:
              I said I would take his undefeated record when I was nine (and PBF was 19)
              He is a great fighter
              He is not a great fighter.

About the headbutts:
              He dived into me very fast. It was accidental
              I lost my head. it was heat of the momemt. i apologize.
              It was retaliation for the elbows.

Comment

Originally posted by JOM'S View Post
                we know floyd uses a lot of those elbows but when and if you fight fire with fire, while still fighting, do not be all of of a sudden be friendly, hugging ang kissing ...
                Jom's,

How are you?

In all fairness, I did not see Floyd use the elbow as an offensive weapon. He arm-barred Ortiz as a push-off. To clear space. Given the pre-fight focus on the elbows and the dressing room instructions, I think PBF was hyper-cognizant of that.

Also, I have seen/heard other corners complain to refs about Floyd's elbow (Naazim: "he's using that elbow, Bayless"), but Ortiz' corner said nothing at all about the elbow during or after the fight.

This is all post-fight spin. Excuses.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X