Collapse
No announcement yet.

You guys who think Roman Gonzalez is overrated or whatever lol

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He may not have been PFP#1, but unarguably PFP top 10, and he earned his place in history. Time and weight divisions catch up to everyone. But he sure as hell had quite a run and in his prime, he was something else.

Comment

Originally posted by richardt View Post
      He may not have been PFP#1, but unarguably PFP top 10, and he earned his place in history. Time and weight divisions catch up to everyone. But he sure as hell had quite a run and in his prime, he was something else.
      The 95% of his rivals of his career are mediocres or b class.

Only had 3 fighters of great quality: estrada drained 4 pounds, Cuadras and the thai, and Gonzalez never was able to be clear in those fights, like the real greatest fighters.

Never had a solid win vs a great fighter like Sanchez vs Gomez or Arguello vs Olivares

Comment

Originally posted by Mexican_Puppet View Post
        A really great fighters at least have a GREAT WIN, a CLEAR WIN, kind Sanchez vs Gomez, Alexis vs Olivares, Pryor vs Arguello, Chavez vs Taylor.

This midgent doesnt have one, he fought with a drained Estrada in 108 pounds, Estrada never fought in that weigh, then he ducked Estrada in 112 division when both were champs.

Cuadras fight was too competitive, and the thai made him his hoe. "peeleft:
        Not saying he's an ATG but he's obviously a top fighter.

He lost, big deal. Most of the greats have. Not like the guy he lost to is a bum.

Comment

Saw a great tweet the other day that said boxing fans are to blame for protected fighters and cherry picking because they write off a whole career of achievements for a loss or two.

100% agree.

Comment

Originally posted by spenz View Post
            Roman Gonzales is a great fighter, but he can't bear the brunt of weight climbing, he lost a lot of speed and physicality to his game. No, this goes to show how great and difficult and impossible what Manny Pacquiao did in his 8 weight division expedition. Everybody wants to try climbing Everest but soon suffocate.
            Lol, it wasn't 8 divisions...150 isn't a real division.

Comment

Agree 100% with TS. This retroactive history bs is stupid. Roman was killing it for years. He won titles in 4 divisions. He was #1 in at least 3 of those 4 divisions he won titles in. Not many cats do that even when they win a title in a division. Guy was a bad mofo.

In boxing bad mofos aren't like fictional movie, TV or book characters who never lose doe. In boxing bad mofos eventually get beat just like Roman, JCC, RJJ, Tyson, SRL, SRR, ODLH & almost every great fighter in history. Thats just how boxing works. You win, you become a champion, you become great & then you lose.

Thats the story for virtually every boxer ever & it means they just got old, the moved up too many divisions, they got too accustomed to success & stopped working as hard as they did or so many other things that end greatness besides this stupid boxing fan sh^t claiming they were never great in the first place & its all some sort of conspiracy.

Comment

Dude was legit. He's accomplished a lot and looked good doing it.

You know what boxing fans can be like. They can do stuff like cry for a guy to move up, then laugh when he does and loses.

Guys can lose a fight and that's it..they're 'hype jobs', or have been 'exposed'. The forums will be the same next weekend regardless of who loses the big fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Kagami Taiga View Post
                  He's was overrated in that he was NEVER a p4p #1. That's about as far as I'll go. But then again p4p is mythical. But I just never thought he was on that level. He had obvious limitations. Like I said in another thread I don't think he's any better than nonito donaire.
                  I think comments like Kagami Taiga's are very fair when discussing if Gonzalez is overrated or not. Of course he is a legit poster.

It's best to ignore what the trolls, dregs and idiots that permeate NSB post.

I don't think he is over rated I just think HBO promotion and marketing, combined with ESPN co signing it and pushing that agenda was a little over the top and it created huge expectations that Gonzalez couldn't meet at this stage of his career.

Comment

Originally posted by Kagami Taiga View Post
                    He's was overrated in that he was NEVER a p4p #1. That's about as far as I'll go. But then again p4p is mythical. But I just never thought he was on that level. He had obvious limitations. Like I said in another thread I don't think he's any better than nonito donaire.
                    and

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                    Not many people know what overrated is tbh, or take it real personal when they see the word. It's a trigger word for fanbases, when someone tells them their fighter is overrated. There's a stigma attached to "overrated", that somehow means the fighter sucks, or is a bum.

Yes, there's a lot of overrated fighters in history, Gonzalez is one of them.

Overrated just means that the fighter was rated higher than he should be. By all means place Gonzalez in the top 10 P4P, but #1? that was overrating him. If that's a dis, so be it. But you can't expect people to stop using the word overrated because you do not understand the definition of it.
                    **SNIP**
                    Both of these are on point.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                      Saw a great tweet the other day that said boxing fans are to blame for protected fighters and cherry picking because they write off a whole career of achievements for a loss or two.

100% agree.
                      BS tweet. Promoters are to blame. They're the ones not giving the fans the fights we want to see. How are the fans to blame when promoters come out & admit they're marinating fights?

Tired of seeing boxing fans blamed. We subsidize this sport & even support the BS promoters give us while waiting on the fights we really want to see. We're to blame for Mayweather/Pac taking so long to make? We're to blame for Canelo vacating his belt? We're to blame for Crawford vs. Pac not happening or Crawford vs Horn not happening? W

Comment

Working...
                      X