No announcement yet.

Who invented the potato chip?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who invented the potato chip?

The British food thread had me googling who invented certain foods. One of the items that came up in my search was the potato chip.

The British claim to have invented them. But like most things the Brits claim it's usually untrue. Wikipedia and other sources claim the British recipe calls for them to be cut about a quarter of an inch thick. I think that ends the debate because theres no way a potato chip is that thick and absolutely no way the Brits could eat a quarter of an inch thick kettle cooked potato chip. Basically their cook book recipe is really just french fries/ home fries.
    Last edited by Dumpster Juice; 12-10-2018, 03:21 AM.

Originally posted by Dumpster Juice View Post
    The British food thread had me googling who invented certain foods. One of the items that came up in my search was the potato chip.

The British claim to have invented them. But like most things the Brits claim it's usually untrue. Wikipedia and other sources claim the British recipe calls for them to be cut about a quarter of an inch thick. I think that ends the debate because theres no way a potato chip is that thick and absolutely no way the Brits could eat a quarter of an inch thick kettle cooked potato chip. Basically their cook book recipe is really just french fries/ home fries.
    The earliest known recipe for something similar to today's potato chips is in William Kitchiner's cookbook The Cook's Oracle, first published in 1817, which was a bestseller in England and the United States. The 1822 edition's version of recipe 104 is called "Potatoes fried in Slices or Shavings" and reads "peel large potatoes, slice them about a quarter of an inch thick, or cut them in shavings round and round, as you would peel a lemon; dry them well in a clean cloth, and fry them in lard or dripping".[2][3] Early recipes for potato chips in the United States are found in Mary Randolph's Virginia House-Wife (1824),[4] and in N.K.M. Lee's Cook's Own Book (1832),[5] both of which explicitly cite Kitchiner.[6]

Can't you read?

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
      The earliest known recipe for something similar to today's potato chips is in William Kitchiner's cookbook The Cook's Oracle, first published in 1817, which was a bestseller in England and the United States. The 1822 edition's version of recipe 104 is called "Potatoes fried in Slices or Shavings" and reads "peel large potatoes, slice them about a quarter of an inch thick, or cut them in shavings round and round, as you would peel a lemon; dry them well in a clean cloth, and fry them in lard or dripping".[2][3] Early recipes for potato chips in the United States are found in Mary Randolph's Virginia House-Wife (1824),[4] and in N.K.M. Lee's Cook's Own Book (1832),[5] both of which explicitly cite Kitchiner.[6]

Can't you read?
      Yes, that's why I posted home fries. Hash browns.

And since I couldn't respond to the British food thread. Chili is absolutely American.

Comment

Yes, that's why I posted home fries. Hash browns.

And since I couldn't respond to the British food thread. Chili is absolutely American.
        Shavings aren't fries or hashbrowns.

Chilli is Mexican. Created in Mexico, just because Mexicans that moved to the US ate it in Texas doesn't make it American.

Comment

Shavings aren't fries or hashbrowns.

Chilli is Mexican. Created in Mexico, just because Mexicans that moved to the US ate it in Texas doesn't make it American.

Behold.. The English potato chip!

Explain why they don't eat it in Mexico then?

Comment

Behold.. The English potato chip!

Explain why they don't eat it in Mexico then?
            Potato chip is thinly sliced potato fried. That's what the recipe says.

They did eat it in Mexico, they also ate it in Texas when they moved there.

Comment

I'm done with your troll thread that you created because you couldn't post in the other. Americans talks **** about others food but they've created nothing themselves.

Comment

Potato chip is thinly sliced potato fried. That's what the recipe says.

They did eat it in Mexico, they also ate it in Texas when they moved there.
                That's right you slice them thin. Not a quarter of an inch thick and not into shavings and not round and round like a lemon peel. Thinly sliced.

So when they moved they told everyone in Mexico not to eat it because it was theres and they were taking it north? Do you know how dumb you are coming off right about now? Then why didn't they stop eating taco's when some Mexicans came north? They didn't give up the burrito when American's starting eating them. So why did they give up chili which is eaten all over the world?
                Last edited by Dumpster Juice; 12-10-2018, 08:44 PM.

Comment

I'm done with your troll thread that you created because you couldn't post in the other. Americans talks **** about others food but they've created nothing themselves.
                  That's because you got no defense for your stupidity.

Comment

That's right you slice them thin. Not a quarter of an inch thick and not into shavings and not round and round like a lemon peel. Thinly sliced.

So when they moved they told everyone in Mexico not to eat it because it was theres and they were taking it north? Do know how dumb you are coming off right about now? Then why didn't they stop eating taco's when some Mexicans came north? They didn't give up the burrito when American's starting eating them. So why did they give up chili which is eaten all over the world?
                    Chili originated from what is now northern Mexico and southern Texas.[2] Unlike some other Texas foods, such as barbecued brisket, which is associated with white men, chili largely originated with working-class Tejana and Mexican women.[2] The chili queens of San Antonio, Texas were particularly famous in previous decades for selling their inexpensive chili-flavored beef stew in their casual "chili joints".[2]

Go away dumb yank. Fat yanks are good at eating food not creating it.

Comment

Working...
                    X