Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could a prime Povetkin go 12 rounds with Lennox Lewis?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possibly. Depends on Lennox more than Povetkin.

Comment

Originally posted by BigZ44 View Post
      So because a few guys went the distance with him, Povetkin automatically goes the distance? How about all the dude's Lennox KTFO, I can certainly list a lot more names then you will be able to. And Mavrovic ate some of the most hellacious punches I've ever seen anyone take, that dude had a chin of adamantium, but there's a reason he never fought again after that fight.

My opinion is that Povetkin is more likely to get stopped then go the distance, but I can see a scenario where the latter happens. But if I'm a betting man, give me Lennox by KO.

And btw, you don't seem a whole lot like "Mr. Objectivity" in this thread...
      Yes, because Alexander Povetkin has NEVER been stopped in his amateur + pro career combined spanning over 200 bouts. And he is 38 years old.

Lennox Lewis's knockout power and abilities were exposed against a former light heavyweight in Evander Holyfield who he could not even drop in 24 rounds. The same Holyfield who was demolished and stopped by James Toney. The same Holyfield who was beaten more comprehensively by Chris Byrd. The same Chris Byrd who was destroyed by Alexander Povetkin?

If Lennox Lewis couldn't even drop Holyfield ONCE in 24 rounds, he isn't knocking out Alexander Povetkin the way you're claiming he would.

And Alexander Povetkin's chin / punch resistance is at the very least, just as good as Ray Mercer's, if not better. A boxer who Lennox Lewis also failed to KO or even drop.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
        The only version of prime Pedvetkin was loaded with PED's, if he has his meldonium it's possible.

Lewis was the heaviest of his career that fight, old, fat, unmotivated, it was the worst versions of Lewis since maybe ever. Still, Pedvetkin's defense is terrible, he gets hit against practically every single opponent and Lewis still carried a lot of power.
        How would nanograms / picograms of Meldonium enhance an athlete significantly enough for it to be a significant factor?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Objecitivity View Post
          Yes, because Alexander Povetkin has NEVER been stopped in his amateur + pro career combined spanning over 200 bouts. And he is 38 years old.

Lennox Lewis's knockout power and abilities were exposed against a former light heavyweight in Evander Holyfield who he could not even drop in 24 rounds. The same Holyfield who was demolished and stopped by James Toney. The same Holyfield who was beaten more comprehensively by Chris Byrd. The same Chris Byrd who was destroyed by Alexander Povetkin?

If Lennox Lewis couldn't even drop Holyfield ONCE in 24 rounds, he isn't knocking out Alexander Povetkin the way you're claiming he would.

And Alexander Povetkin's chin / punch resistance is at the very least, just as good as Ray Mercer's, if not better. A boxer who Lennox Lewis also failed to KO or even drop.
          Povetkin also got his ass handed to him by Klitschko and was getting dropped with every punch that landed semi-clean. To question Lewis' power is laughable and I'm not even gonna go there, because he's possibly the hardest puncher of all time. I can't wait for Joshua to get his hands on Povetkin and leave him in a shattered heap on the canvas.

Comment

Povetkin also got his ass handed to him by Klitschko and was getting dropped with every punch that landed semi-clean. To question Lewis' power is laughable and I'm not even gonna go there, because he's possibly the hardest puncher of all time. I can't wait for Joshua to get his hands on Povetkin and leave him in a shattered heap on the canvas.
            Ray Mercer also had his ass handed to him by Wladimir Klitschko. In fact, Wladimir Klitschko totally destroyed, dropped and stopped Ray Mercer. Something that Lennox Lewis failed to do.

And unlike Ray Mercer, Alexander Povetkin actually went the distance against Wladimir Klitschko whilst taking Wladimir's best punches. And he was only dropped ONCE legitimately from a left hook.

I'm not even questioning Lennox Lewis's power. To question Alexander Povetkin's punch resistance, a guy who is 38 years of age and has never been stopped in his amateur or pro career as of yet is even more laughable. A 38 year old Alexander Povetkin > pretty much anybody Lennox Lewis beat.

Anthony Joshua > Lennox Lewis anyway. That fight doesn't prove anything in regards to how a prime Povetkin would do against Lennox Lewis. And if Joshua beats Povetkin, his resume would already have a boxer that is better than anybody on Lennox Lewis's resume.

Also, Wladimir Klitschko is a more powerful puncher than Lennox Lewis is. Especially with his left hook.

Comment

Ray Mercer also had his ass handed to him by Wladimir Klitschko. In fact, Wladimir Klitschko totally destroyed, dropped and stopped Ray Mercer. Something that Lennox Lewis failed to do.

And unlike Ray Mercer, Alexander Povetkin actually went the distance against Wladimir Klitschko whilst taking Wladimir's best punches. And he was only dropped ONCE legitimately from a left hook.

I'm not even questioning Lennox Lewis's power. To question Alexander Povetkin's punch resistance, a guy who is 38 years of age and has never been stopped in his amateur or pro career as of yet is even more laughable. A 38 year old Alexander Povetkin > pretty much anybody Lennox Lewis beat.

Anthony Joshua > Lennox Lewis anyway. That fight doesn't prove anything in regards to how a prime Povetkin would do against Lennox Lewis. And if Joshua beats Povetkin, his resume would already have a boxer that is better than anybody on Lennox Lewis's resume.

Also, Wladimir Klitschko is a more powerful puncher than Lennox Lewis is. Especially with his left hook.
              Mercer was so old and washed up by the time Wlad fought him, that you can't even compare him to the prime 90's version of Mercer, who was known for fighting to the level of his opposition. And no, Holyfield, Tyson, Tua, Golota, Bruno, Ruddock are all better wins than a 38 year old Povetkin. But I'm not gonna argue with you any more over a fantasy fight, Sasha. Excited for Joshua/Povetkin when we cross that bridge, til then cheers, I'm gonna start getting ready for the real fights that are happening today!

Comment

Couldn't Povetkin have done a better job on Lennox Lewis than Ray Mercer did? Or at the very least, put on a similar level of performance?
                Honestly if I were betting my own money on it, I'd call it a 50/50 fight. Lennox is worshiped on here though/his losses are completely ignored & I feel like going outside today so I'm not gonna get to into it... He could pull a Rahman except it would be his specialty instead of luck.

Comment

The the thing with Povetkin is that at his best, which imo was after the wlad fight, he was most likely on peds. But i think even sauced up he wouldnt be enough for Lennox. Povetkin seems to do great only against similar sized opponents

Comment

Mercer was so old and washed up by the time Wlad fought him, that you can't even compare him to the prime 90's version of Mercer, who was known for fighting to the level of his opposition. And no, Holyfield, Tyson, Tua, Golota, Bruno, Ruddock are all better wins than a 38 year old Povetkin. But I'm not gonna argue with you any more over a fantasy fight, Sasha. Excited for Joshua/Povetkin when we cross that bridge, til then cheers, I'm gonna start getting ready for the real fights that are happening today!
                    Please! Alexander Povetkin is 38 years old and has only ever lost to arguably the greatest heavyweight of all time in Wladimir Klitschko without any other losses. He may end up losing to Anthony Joshua but that's just 2 losses to two of the best boxers of their respective eras.

On the other hand, Ray Mercer has an inexcusable loss to Jesse Ferguson and an old Larry Holmes. Guys he shouldn't be losing to if he was as good as you claim he is.

Evander Holyfield has losses to the likes of a former middleweight James Toney. A horrible world champion in John Ruiz. Povetkin's defeat victim in Chris Byrd. To former light heavyweight in Michael Moorer and to a journeyman in Larry Donald (that lost to Povetkin). If he was as good as Povetkin, he wouldn't have lost those bouts.

Mike Tyson has losses to Kevin McBride (a journeyman) and Danny Williams (a bum). How an Earth can the version of Mike Tyson that Lennox Lewis beat be better than Alexander Povetkin, who only has one loss to the best heavyweight of his generation in Wladimir Klitschko?

And how can Golota be better than Povetkin when he has losses to the likes of Tomasz Adamek, Lamon Brewster, Ray Austin, Michael Grant, Przemysław Saleta and etc?

How can Frank Bruno be better than Povetkin with horrible losses to the likes of Tim Whitherspoon and James Smith?

And how can Ruddock be better than Povetkin with losses to the likes of David Jaco, Dillom Carman and Tommy Morrison?

You see, the age excuse doesn't work because Povetkin himself is 38 years old and still hasn't lost to bums, journeymen or lower level of opposition that all those Lennox Lewis opponents were losing to. The fact that he hasn't, shows that he is at a higher level than them.

Alexander Povetkin himself would be Lennox Lewis's best win on paper if Lewis beat Povetkin because of his own record and resume (Povetkin's). And if Anthony Joshua beats Povetkin (which I believe he would), Joshua in under 25 bouts would have a significantly better resume & record than Lennox Lewis. Alexander Povetkin >>> any of Lennox Lewis's opponents.

Comment

This is a trick question thread . Any credible fighter COULD last with Lewis .

Going 12 and ACTUALLY defeating Lewis are entirely 2 different things .

Lewis was a safety 1st fighter himself , Povetkin probably makes Lewis think twice agout being overly aggressive so chances are it would go 12 in a fight Lewis would comfortably control.

Of course in this era going past 9 rnds ,you guys lable a champion overatted even though he wins every rnd so its not shocking of the poll results as you think Povetkin SHOULDNT last with Lewis .
                      Last edited by juggernaut666; 02-24-2018, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X