Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Kovalev's Tactics Change Your Opinion of Him as a Fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
    Nothing was made up.

1. Did he turn his back - Yes
    Happens all the time, boxers get out of position. You name a fighter, it has happened to them.
    2. Did he hold to avoid inside fighting - Yes
    Did he hold? Yes. Again, happens to everyone. Ward initiated half the holds in this fight, and vast majority in the 1st fight. The "to avoid inside fighting" is what you're using to spin your bull**** narrative. They both held plenty in both fights.
    3. Did he cry wolf about a legitimate body shot - Yes
    He complained at what was a legitimate body shot - yes. He also got punched in the nuts twice in the 2nd and 7th, which makes the whole groin & pelvic area sore. Just because the body shot was deemed legitimate doesn't magically mean it has no impact on present pain in the groin. There's nothing to support that he was crying wolf.

Do fighters often cry about legitimate body shots in order to:

a. Discourage their opponent from attacking the body? Yes

b. Get a breather and recover from being hurt to the body? Yes

c. Get point deduction or a DQ? Yes
    Sure, A-B-C are true. Except in this fight, he DID get punched low in the 2nd and 7th, not even talking about the last 3 shots. You're using 1 legit body shot after 2 low blows to show that he was crying wolf. Not how it works.

The only difference is you want me to sugar coat the facts and tie a pretty red bow around them.
    I want you to be a better poster than what you've shown after Ward's victory. Leave this gloating spinmaster persona behind - we have enough kigalis and mirkos on this forum.

Comment

Changed somewhat. He's still good but falters when on the backfoot and pressured by a strong opponent. I felt like the moment his aura of confidence was gone (which was about round 7 I think?), he looked lost. Turning his back mid fight to avoid damage was a little strange. He just didn't seem used to fighting equally matched opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
        I want you to be a better poster than what you've shown after Ward's victory. Leave this gloating spinmaster persona behind - we have enough kigalis and mirkos on this forum.
        OK. So you are making excuses for why "the baddest man on the planet" is not so bad when it comes to inside fighting, getting attacked to the body and complaining to the ref. All you have is personal insults to divert from the facts.

So I ask you again, did Kovalev's tactics (cringing from the body assault, crying to the ref about legitimate body shots, not being able to handle fighting inside) change your opinion of him as a fighter?

Did you know that he would break down from a body attack and shy away from inside fighting 3 years ago, when he was running through opponents?

Comment

Man, this site is unbelievable. Kov talked all this shit. He was gonna do this, he was gonna do that and he didn't do shit but cry and fake and try to get the man whoopin his ass DQ'd.

When Broner tried to pull this crap he got killed and rightfully so. Now all the sudden posters need to take the high road. WHy should anyone feel sorry for a bully that went out like he did.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
            I agree. He knew what kind of fighter Ward is, but went in with the same game plan as the first fight. This is one reason why I don't like trash talking. It makes you look like an even bigger loser when you don't win.
            That's exactly where I'm getting at. I was just shocked to see a fighter, widely considered to be a knockout artist, offer so little when it comes to inside fighting and becoming a dog in the trenches.

I'm not saying DQ himself but I would've liked to see more grit out of him. He's a very disciplined boxer but doesn't have that on and off switch in his head that switches from "disciplined boxer" to "rugged fighter".

Comment

i want you to be a better poster than what you've shown after ward's victory. Leave this gloating spinmaster persona behind - we have enough kigalis and mirkos on this forum.
              how does it all turn into gloating after all ths disrepectful stuff coming from kov and his fanatics (not fans)??? Things that have nothing to do with boxing, name calling, forcing a race issue, and much more... But 5 days removed from the victory we are going too far for pointing out the obvious that happened in the fight meanwhile there have been numorus threads about the final punch...

Comment

Yeah some fanciful boxers prove themselves in the thick of battle. The opposite happened to Kovalev.

He looked mean to the bone but Ward showed otherwise.

Comment

OK. So you are making excuses for why "the baddest man on the planet" is not so bad when it comes to inside fighting, getting attacked to the body and complaining to the ref. All you have is personal insults to divert from the facts.
                  I did not insult you once in my post. You're spinning a story and insulting a fighter who lost, who gave Ward full credit for being the better man that night and rightfully blaming Weeks for messing up in the fight. That's called gloating, and there are plenty of brainless fools on this forum who do that enough.

So I ask you again, did Kovalev's tactics (cringing from the body assault, crying to the ref about legitimate body shots, not being able to handle fighting inside) change your opinion of him as a fighter?
                  Horse****. He cried to Weeks ONCE from a legitimate body shot in early 8th, after getting seriously hit low in the 7th. That is also the one body shot he 'cringed' from.
                  And he handled inside fighting just fine in the 1st fight, and in the first 6 rounds of this one.

Give Ward a warning after that low blow in the 7th, and give Kovalev his alotted 5 minutes to recover (probably wont even take full time, he only took 10 secs in 2nd round), THEN we can talk.

Did you know that he would break down from a body attack and shy away from inside fighting 3 years ago, when he was running through opponents?
                  Neither oen of those 2 are true. He didn't shy away from inside fighting in the 1st or the 2nd fight. Both fights are dominated by clinching and inside fighting - what the hell did he shy away from?
                  And he didn't break down from "the body attack". Not only did he never go down, which fighters ALWAYS do from good body attack, but you're completely ignoring the issue of low blows that dominate the conversation around this "body attack".

This shift in the narrative from 1st fight to the 2nd is laughable. Kovalev is the same guy he was in the 1st fight. Did you see him complaining about low blows in 1st fight during Ward's 'masterclass inside fighting'? No? Maybe that's because Ward wasn't landing any, and that was the difference.

Comment

There was one thread asking who deserves the title of "Baddest Man on the Planet". And the overwhelming answer was Kovalev (and rightfully so at the time). I'm not criticizing these posters.

But when faced with adversity, the "baddest man on the planet" folded. Can you imagine what Mike Tyson would have done had somebody hit him with a low blow? Immediate retaliation. He would never back down from a dog fight.
                    even larry voted for kovalev that thread was from 2015. yeah i guess kovalev should have gotten dirty too, eye for an eye instead of turning the other cheek

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                      On several threads I have stated that I like Ward better as a person, but I found Kovalev more entertaining as a fighter. I don't like Ward as a fighter, but I respect him as a man. I'm not a fan of trash talking regardless of who is doing it, so Kovalev painted himself into a corner by beating his chest and making bold statements.
                      Ok, well green K for your honesty then

Comment

Working...
                      X