No announcement yet.

Which boxers lift weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which boxers lift weight?

I’ve always wanted to know if welterweights like Pacquiao, Thurman, Floyd, or Crawford incorporated any type of weight lifting into their S&C and if so how often?

I have a similar build as them and am considering to start boxing myself, but I’ve been doing a lot of weight training throughout the years so I have a lot of bulk and am thinking of shredding it off before I start.

Depends who they are training under. It's important not to mimic pros though as they are genetic wonders. Their training works for them. You gotta do what works for you. I'd start with high-rep/low-weight workouts and if it affects your flexibility or speed, cut back.

Comment

All do weight training to some extent, but mostly heavyweight do heavy weights like Joshua.

Comment

Originally posted by FredRekk View Post
        I’ve always wanted to know if welterweights like Pacquiao, Thurman, Floyd, or Crawford incorporated any type of weight lifting into their S&C and if so how often?

I have a similar build as them and am considering to start boxing myself, but I’ve been doing a lot of weight training throughout the years so I have a lot of bulk and am thinking of shredding it off before I start.
        All of them do, in some way/shape/form. Frequencies vary; I wouldn't concern myself with that but instead with creating a resistance training program that works for your needs.

I don't understand your last statement. By "bulk" are you referring to excess bodyfat, or do you believe you are carrying too much LBM for a weight division you wish to fight in?

Comment

Originally posted by FredRekk View Post

It will shred off as you start boxing training. (Cardio, pluometrics, etc.) will get your body in shape. As for weights, stick to compound movements (squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press, rows) and body weight (push ups, pull ups, sit ups, medicine ball etc.). It will help greatly. Your body must be developed for any sport you play. Avoid isolation movements such as curls. The myth of weight training is not beneficial I disagree with. It depends on how you incorporate it. And also, focus more on technique than weights. I would say 1-2 days a week lifting, and every other day of the week dedicated to improving your skill.
          Last edited by Beasting102; 09-27-2019, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beasting102 View Post
            It will shred off as you start boxing training. (Cardio, pluometrics, etc.) will get your body in shape. As for weights, stick to compound movements (squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press, rows) and body weight (push ups, pull ups, sit ups, medicine ball etc.). It will help greatly. Your body must be developed for any sport you play. Avoid isolation movements such as curls. The myth of weight training is not beneficial I disagree with. It depends on how you incorporate it. And also, focus more on technique than weights. I would say 1-2 days a week lifting, and every other day of the week dedicated to improving your skill.
            ^^^^^^^^^this

Comment

Working...
            X