Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you consume news from both sides of the political spectrum?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you consume news from both sides of the political spectrum?

A lot of people, when in an argument, will say I am brainwashed by Fox News........ I'm not. I read the BBC news, Guardian articles, CNN, NBC..... etc

Most videos on YT I watch are reactions to articles from the left or right.

I think I have a good idea of what is going down in the world...... but we all do right we all think we are right.

A question for you guys...... what is your main source for information, politically and for current events? how do you form your opinion? as we all just parrot what we consume in a sense.

A recent one I found is 'Liberal Hivemind' on Youtube.

It's a channel dedicated to calling out the hypocrisy of the far-left......as a libertarian myself, I worry about the far-left nowadays WAY more than the far-right. (who we ALL know are bad and are not effecting our lives)..... the far-left are wolves in sheeps clothing, IMO.

I typically check Fox News, Yahoo, and a local outlet or two pretty much daily.

I used to check CNN, but they now openly cheerlead/lie for Team D and put out so much fake news that I don't check them anymore. They are completely unreliable as a source, so no point in checking them out for any news.

Comment

Everything from the Morning Star (an old Working Class daily) through center left stuff like the Guardian right up to some of your right populist stuff like Fox or whathaveyou. Most of the Newsfeed stuff I get is skewed towards the left naturally, but I make a deliberate effort to balance it, at least to get a perspective on a wide range of virewpoints.

Seems to me one of the biggest problems we got in modern political debate is this idea of personalised newstream... sems like it just increases polarisation. Like here in the UK 35, 40 years ago we basically had a few daily papers and like 4 TV Chanels and everyone got their news from roughly the same sources, so even if they disagreed, or had different perspectives on it, folk at least had a common understanding of what they were arguing over.

Now, with literally thousands of available newstreams and blogs and whatever else, and each of us principally being exposed to the ones which more closely ally with our beliefs, we're literally getting very different news to each other... we're all getting a version of reality which tends to reinforce the worldview we already have... and it makes it almost impossible to reconcile our differences when the folk we're arguing with have literally been exposed to entirely different set of opinions or an entirely different take on the news.

Very devisive, very polarising, IMO, and just one of the issues we need to overcome when we're trying understand the viewpoints of others.
      Last edited by Citizen Koba; 09-13-2020, 09:04 AM.

Comment

News are too biased in this day and age.

I wouldn't spend a minute watching any of the liberal media.

And I don't even like FoxNews

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post

I used to check CNN, but they now openly cheerlead/lie for Team D and put out so much fake news that I don't check them anymore. They are completely unreliable as a source, so no point in checking them out for any news.
          Can understand that....... I actually subscribed to Fox News as Hannity and Tucker etc actually call this BS behaviour out.

CNN seem to be cheerleaders like you say.

In the UK the BBC have turned so far to the left I am honestly thinking about cancelling my TV licence, and I will even bring it up to my local MP.

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Koba View Post
            Everything from the Morning Star (an old Working Class daily) through center left stuff like the Guardian right up to some of your right populist stuff like Fox or whathaveyou. Most of the Newsfeed stuff I get is skewed towards the left naturally, but I make a deliberate effort to balance it, at least to get a perspective on a wide range of virewpoints.

Seems to me one of the biggest problems we got in modern political debate is this idea of personalised newstream... sems like it just increases polarisation. Like here in the UK 35, 40 years ago we basically had a few daily papers and like 4 TV Chanels and everyone got their news from roughly the same sources, so even if they disagreed, or had different perspectives on it, folk at least had a common understanding of what they were arguing over.

Now, with literally thousands of available newstreams and blogs and whatever else, and each of us principally being exposed to the ones which more closely ally with our beliefs, we're literally getting very different news to each other... we're all getting a version of reality which tends to reinforce the worldview we already have... and it makes it almost impossible to reconcile our differences when the folk we're arguing with have literally been exposed to entirely different set of opinions or an entirely different take on the news.

Very devisive, very polarising, IMO, and just one of the issues we need to overcome when we're trying understand the viewpoints of others.
            That's a good point you made...... while I'm watching 'Liberal Hivemind' and 'Akkad Daily' for my news, most people are just hearing stuff from the BBC, Guardian, Sky News etc

We are coming into a debate on different levels in a sense....... and I am not even good at articulating my viewpoints without sounding like a racist, sexist, xenophobe lol

It's almost like there is too much info out there, and people are taking random soundbites from it and running with them.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post

I'm about the same but add usatoday.

Yahoo.com used to be good for the comments because 90% went against what ever lies they were peddling but took that away for some reason?

CNN flat out just LIES!!! They have the DUMBEST Anchors/reporters on the PLANET.

1 dumb fuk in front of a town burning to the ground was telling LIVE this is a peaceful protest!!!

NYTIMES is just as bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinnykin View Post
                That's a good point you made...... while I'm watching 'Liberal Hivemind' and 'Akkad Daily' for my news, most people are just hearing stuff from the BBC, Guardian, Sky News etc

We are coming into a debate on different levels in a sense....... and I am not even good at articulating my viewpoints without sounding like a racist, sexist, xenophobe lol

It's almost like there is too much info out there, and people are taking random soundbites from it and running with them.
                This last for sure, although it's not even random, it's deliberately targeted by algorithmns based on our previous viewings and preferences. In effect we're gettin gtargetted with kinds of news that reinforces our opinions rather than broadening 'em... so people with opposing opinions are literally hearing news that and viewpoints that are increasingly divergent. Ain't surprising its really difficult for folk to find common ground or even to understand where each other are coming from. Could almost be designed to bring people into conflict with each other in fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Koba View Post
                  This last for sure, although it's not even random, it's deliberately targeted by algorithmns based on our previous viewings and preferences. In effect we're gettin gtargetted with kinds of news that reinforces our opinions rather than broadening 'em... so people with opposing opinions are literally hearing news that and viewpoints that are increasingly divergent. Ain't surprising its really difficult for folk to find common ground or even to understand where each other are coming from. Could almost be designed to bring people into conflict with each other in fact.
                  I agree man. It's a minefield out there and very easy to fall into the propaganda trap.

I try to look past or over MSM, and form my own unique opinion on things........ I try to seek out books, TV, film and news outlets that do the same...... I think I've been successful on that front but that's not for me to decide

Comment

Originally posted by Vinnykin View Post
                    I agree man. It's a minefield out there and very easy to fall into the propaganda trap.

I try to look past or over MSM, and form my own unique opinion on things........ I try to seek out books, TV, film and news outlets that do the same...... I think I've been successful on that front but that's not for me to decide
                    That's the effing problem isn't it... it's like advertising, no matter how free-thinking we might believe we are we still end up buying that deodorant or burger or whatever, it goes in whether we think it has or not. Kinda same with propaganda. It's probably safe to say there is no such thing as unbaised news or reporting any more than any of us can claim to be truly objective - best we can do is try to steer as straight a course as we're able... although there are some tools we can use, basic fact checking a good one, or if you really got plenty of time on your hands a study of epistomology - even a fairly prefunctory one - can help give us some tools to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

Comment

Working...
                    X