Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sergio Martinez looks in great shape as he prepares for comeback.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, Hopkins....now everybody's gonna try to fight til they're 50 or til they croak...whatever comes first. Expect JMM to announce his return as well....it's been 4 years for him. Look out for Shane too.

Comment

Max Kellerman said it best: as long as people are still willing to fork out a paycheck to see you fight there's always going to be an incentive for fighters to keep on fighting. But that obviously doesn't mean it's always a good idea. Martinez looks good but his knees were shot last time we saw him and probably are still banged up.

I wanted to get excited about a prospect of a Martinez comeback but even against Chavez Jr. it's a mismatch. Even though Chavez Jr. is coming off a defeat he's still the active fighter. He's been fighting while Martinez has been retired for four years now.

I'll stay posted on this to see what happens but I would say it's not a good idea for Martinez who's been retired for four years and with shot legs to come back. Who knows though, he could somehow have rejuvenated legs for another 12 rounds and come out and actually surprise all of us. Could be just another feat of greatness for the legend.
      Last edited by JuniorTorres720; 08-13-2018, 09:49 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

He needs to fight Cotto first

Comment

Is Sergio coming back to fight a Charlo, BJS, Jacobs, etc., or is he coming back to fight a bum like Spike?

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
            I'll never forget that one. I sat at the TV awestruck that I had never even heard of this guy before, and he looked like a fucking latino Roy Jones.

he literally couldn't see the jabs until they bounced off his forehead!

latino roy jones had jim lampley all hot and bothered that night for sure

and alex bunema was not a terrible fighter, certainly not a guy expected to be unable to slip a single jab or put a glove on martinez. i really think hbo just watned to kick the tires on martinez and struck gold. guy was a staple on the network for years after that fight, and held the most legitimate lineage in boxing at the time, the MW championship that extended through the very solid kelly pavlik, a undisputed jermain taylor, and all the way back to the great, great bernard hopkins.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpawology View Post
              he actually does look good... but i mean is sergio really hurting that bad for money???
              My first impression was that he’s skint too. Living the life whilst not fighting can dwindle ya money quickly. Did he do no coach trainer stuff or commentary do you know??

Comment

Martinez is going to get hurt, Stay retired champ!

Comment

Originally posted by SinderellaMan View Post
                  Well said & I’m a huge Sergio fan but, he knew he had no business fighting Cotto when he did. He wants to erase that bad taste that was left but that was 4 years ago....
                  Probably this ^.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    he literally couldn't see the jabs until they bounced off his forehead!

latino roy jones had jim lampley all hot and bothered that night for sure

and alex bunema was not a terrible fighter, certainly not a guy expected to be unable to slip a single jab or put a glove on martinez. i really think hbo just watned to kick the tires on martinez and struck gold. guy was a staple on the network for years after that fight, and held the most legitimate lineage in boxing at the time, the MW championship that extended through the very solid kelly pavlik, a undisputed jermain taylor, and all the way back to the great, great bernard hopkins.
                    His three fight run of Williams-Pavlik-Williams was, for me, as excited as I've ever been to watch a fighter during his career.

Damn shame HBO knocked the wind out of Martinez's sails a bit with that Dzinziruk fiasco.

Comment

He gon look gud until he fight somebody with a pulse. I really dont wanna see my guy get hurt!

Comment

Working...
                      X