Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have a degree?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too many people (parents mostly) get caught up in school rankings, and think that their precious spawn must go to a prestigious school in order to make it in the world. So they pay $50K+ per year on some degree that isn't worth the paper it is printed on and then wonder why their kids are working at some entry-level job or worse.

I went back to school after finishing my active duty career. Used the GI Bill and never had to pay a penny out of pocket to get my Bachelor and Master degrees. I only pursued these degrees in order to move ahead in my second career. Without it, it would be difficult to compete with the millennials entering the workforce with MBAs or the high ranking officers who retire with three Master's degrees.

School is highly overrated. I didn't learn one damn thing that I found useful in the real world. Most of what they teach today is watered down nonsense and the level of social engineering that goes on in universities today is staggering. Every damn course has some sort of lesson or something in the curriculum that speaks to diversity, inclusion, etc. They are brain-washing institutions and there is very little value added when you consider the cost for some of these schools.

Parents should steer their kids towards trades or sciences. Let their kids go to state college and save a bundle in debt. Most employers don't give two shyts where you went to school. I work with people earning close to six figures that have degrees from Phoenix University. Unless you are looking to work for a top law or accounting firm, it won't matter where you get your degree.

Comment

At 1 point in American History College was a privilege, now people act as if its a right. Having a Bachelors Degree or even an Associates Degree with decent work experience was able to establish people within all sorts of businesses making good money, nowadays everyone has a degree making wages less competitive. This is why work experience is definitely looked at moreso than a College degree.

I personally have 2 degrees, an Associates and a Bachelors but they are nothing more than a shiny star on my Resume. My work experience and steady employment has always been my biggest selling point when interviewing for jobs. & needless to say if I had to rely on my education to get a good job than Id likely be driving Uber. 1 thing College did do for me was make me more personable. I went through college while I was working as a C.O. and right out of the Marines. I had a real black and white mentality, meeting and studying with people with different values helped me see gray areas in life.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
        Too many people (parents mostly) get caught up in school rankings, and think that their precious spawn must go to a prestigious school in order to make it in the world. So they pay $50K+ per year on some degree that isn't worth the paper it is printed on and then wonder why their kids are working at some entry-level job or worse.
        This.... people studying to be teacher and nurse going to private university instead of state university.

Comment

i dont blame her. society brainwashes people into thinking without a degree you're worthless. big myth. if u got the right connects you can skip to the front of the line. network is more valuable than homework.

Comment

Originally posted by man down View Post
            So last night my wife's assistant manager told her she has a master's and has 200k in debt. This 34 year old is making 60k a year and working in a field that she didn't go to school for. Could never pay her loans off.
            I guess her mom is on her to find another job so she can pay her bills. Lol why would you even go to school if you were going to work this job?

Worst part is, she sux at her job and asked my wife if she could get promoted to a manager so she could make more money.

She doesn't show up on time, she calls out sick. She's a gossip queen, and she sux at her job.

I'm thinking the wife should let her go. Push her in the right direction, something she went to school for, something she can make real money to pay her bills.

This is a classic case these days. Go to school for nothing but to gain debt.
            Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post

I went back to school after finishing my active duty career. Used the GI Bill and never had to pay a penny out of pocket to get my Bachelor and Master degrees. I only pursued these degrees in order to move ahead in my second career. Without it, it would be difficult to compete with the millennials entering the workforce with MBAs or the high ranking officers who retire with three Master's degrees.

School is highly overrated. I didn't learn one damn thing that I found useful in the real world. Most of what they teach today is watered down nonsense and the level of social engineering that goes on in universities today is staggering. Every damn course has some sort of lesson or something in the curriculum that speaks to diversity, inclusion, etc. They are brain-washing institutions and there is very little value added when you consider the cost for some of these schools.

Parents should steer their kids towards trades or sciences. Let their kids go to state college and save a bundle in debt. Most employers don't give two shyts where you went to school. I work with people earning close to six figures that have degrees from Phoenix University. Unless you are looking to work for a top law or accounting firm, it won't matter where you get your degree.
            Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
            At 1 point in American History College was a privilege, now people act as if its a right. Having a Bachelors Degree or even an Associates Degree with decent work experience was able to establish people within all sorts of businesses making good money, nowadays everyone has a degree making wages less competitive. This is why work experience is definitely looked at moreso than a College degree.

I personally have 2 degrees, an Associates and a Bachelors but they are nothing more than a shiny star on my Resume. My work experience and steady employment has always been my biggest selling point when interviewing for jobs. & needless to say if I had to rely on my education to get a good job than Id likely be driving Uber. 1 thing College did do for me was make me more personable. I went through college while I was working as a C.O. and right out of the Marines. I had a real black and white mentality, meeting and studying with people with different values helped me see gray areas in life.
            Originally posted by blue_dolphin View Post
            i dont blame her. society brainwashes people into thinking without a degree you're worthless. big myth. if u got the right connects you can skip to the front of the line. network is more valuable than homework.
            north americans today believe a degree automatically is a passport to become upper middle class or higher. like Dempsey says above though, most of these degrees are worthless. i remember meeting a couple who both had master's degrees ( his was in history and i think her's was in lesbian feminist elizabethan poety) and they were close to $100,000 in debt for student loans and both worked as pizza delivery drivers

Comment

Originally posted by boxingfan91 View Post
              Unless you in a STEM field, then school is fo bustas
              Modafocka u shud become a dentist an fix yo crooked azz teef

Comment

The average lounge poster is far more intelligent than the average uni student judging from my experience (6 yrs at 2 well regarded schools & a research position).

I don't think it was always this way. It was the breakdown of exclusivity.

They worked it so everyone has a chance of getting into every school & lowered the curriculum difficulty to high school levels, altered the social sciences to be "inclusive and positive" (aka blatant lies).

They got what they wanted; it's just the new high school. Now that everyone gets into college, it's the new bare minimum and everyone has to spend an extra 4+ years in an even more dumbed down version of high school. Sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by //// View Post
                  The average lounge poster is far more intelligent than the average uni student judging from my experience (6 yrs at 2 well regarded schools & a research position).

I don't think it was always this way. It was the breakdown of exclusivity.

They worked it so everyone has a chance of getting into every school & lowered the curriculum difficulty to high school levels, altered the social sciences to be "inclusive and positive" (aka blatant lies).

They got what they wanted; it's just the new high school. Now that everyone gets into college, it's the new bare minimum and everyone has to spend an extra 4+ years in an even more dumbed down version of high school. Sweet!
                  Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 03-07-2019, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFan85 View Post
                    She has masters and she makes 60k and has 200k debt!!
                    Whoever planned her career wasn't too thoughtful.
                    I know my previous manager did her MBA in Columbia, paid around 150k and the only goal she had was to get promoted from a AVP to VP or higher. She doesn't brin revenue to the project or get new projects, so she can't really be a director as there are more deserving candidates and she hasn't quit after her VP promotion and she hates her boss. For a salary bump of 20-25k she spent 150k was most people were talking about her.
                    Salary bump of 20-25k is arguably worth it. You cover 150k in 6 or 7 years. Did she do her MBA while working or did she do it full time?

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
                      Salary bump of 20-25k is arguably worth it. You cover 150k in 6 or 7 years. Did she do her MBA while working or did she do it full time?
                      It's not worth it in her case. She would have got VP role a year or so later anyways based on seniority in the team. She did it while working, she used to take a day or so off every other week and every 2 days or so rush off at 4:30-5 PM.

It's not like her masters got her the promotion, even after a year or two of her MBA she was still in the same role. She started handling multiple projects and then she got recommended. I always wondered why she hadn't done that from a long time.

Comment

Working...
                      X