No announcement yet.

Does anyone else do this?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else do this?

Am I the only one who likes to hinge my hips slightly back (like a squat or deadlift), bend the knees and have a slight bend in the boxing stance or do other people do it? It just feels natural to me especially the face I played football for 8 years. Defense and offense is way better. Punches come smoother as well as head movement and counters. It’s the common position that I was taught to maximize my strength, agility, and explosiveness. I try to stand up straight since most boxers do it, but I feel like I’m standing. Not ready for any athletic movements at all
    Last edited by Muhammad234; 11-09-2019, 10:11 AM.

Originally posted by Muhammad234 View Post
    Am I the only one who likes to hinge my hips slightly back (like a squat or deadlift), bend the knees and have a slight bend in the boxing stance or do other people do it? It just feels natural to me especially the face I played football for 8 years. Defense and offense is way better. Punches come smoother as well as head movement and counters. It’s the common position that I was taught to maximize my strength, agility, and explosiveness. I try to stand up straight since most boxers do it, but I feel like I’m standing. Not ready for any athletic movements at all
    Welcome to the forum.
    I see some guys do that, mostly shorter guys because they can get more thrust behind their punches. I think it limits your range and could make you over-commit on punches. I'd take young Mike Tyson as an example of how to do it right.
    If you're tall, I'd stop doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      Welcome to the forum.
      I see some guys do that, mostly shorter guys because they can get more thrust behind their punches. I think it limits your range and could make you over-commit on punches. I'd take young Mike Tyson as an example of how to do it right.
      If you're tall, I'd stop doing this.
      Thank you. I am fairly short, only 5”7 at 140 lbs

Comment

If you feel it works for you, and doesn't keep you from having good upper body movement (for slipping) go for it. As a tall guy, the most difficult short guys are the ones who move and have explosive movement. A lot of guys just try to get inside and bully but the guys who get in and out are way tougher to deal with. That movement is the key.

Comment

I don't think that's all that short for 140.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
            I don't think that's all that short for 140.
            Agreed, I wouldn't call it short but if he feels short then I won't argue with him.

Comment

I am 145lbs and 5'7.5"

am i short?

Comment

Originally posted by CodeBreaker View Post
                I am 145lbs and 5'7.5"

am i short?
                Not for boxing.

Comment

That’s somewhat tall for 140. But teenagers tend to be a little taller cause they haven’t filled out yet.

Comment

Working...
                  X