No announcement yet.

Would boxing be safer if they used smaller, finger-less UFC sized gloves? 4 oz

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raggamuffin View Post
    I don't know the stats when it comes to who has more injuries between boxers and MMA fighters. I just know that the average MMA guy isn't as skilled as boxers when it comes to the hands. Boxers are trained to hit you square on the chin and a shot like that can kill a man. There are MMA fighters who are paying for what they have gone through just like boxers later in life.

But fighters IMO soak up a lot more punishment because they are hit in the head more than MMA fighters only because you either hit the body or head. MMA has many ways to beat a guy whether it's ko or sum mission.

How many guys in MMA have gone through what Gerald McClellan, and Kid Akeem or Magomov went through? They might be dead if they were hit with 4oz gloves. Boxers are trained to roll with shots also so they wouldn't just get ko'd when hit.

MMA guys learn boxing but they specialize in an art whether it's a lil boxing, Ju Jitsu or wrestling. Boxers train to place a well timed shot to ko their opponent with either a body shot or head shot. In big fights guys get hurt to the body but moreso are ko'd from punishment throughout the fight.

Boxers are trained to go twelve 3 minutes rounds, and if you find two guys whether world class or not who can take the other guys punch, the damage inflicted would be terrible. You might think that a guy gets ko'd faster with 4oz gloves, but it would be much more damaging if a top boxer or a big puncher delivered that blow.

Boxers train to hit you in two spots. The head or body. MMArtists train working on a number of ways to submit to ko a guy.
    Exactly. Youre touching on the major issue here which is the fundamental differences between the two sports. In boxing, you're specifically targeting the head. Yes, there are body shots, but who gets brain damage from a body shot? Much of MMA is grappling and ground attack. MMA fighters train and practice a wide variety of attacks, punches, kicks, knees, elbows, headbutts, clinches, throws, takedowns, mount, guard, chokes, joint manipulations, etc, wheras the boxer trains and practices punches, punches, and more punches. The typical MMA fight is much faster than the typical boxing match. The typical MMA fighter endures far fewer potentially brain injuring head shots than the typical boxer does.

I saw the stats recently. Cant remember the exact numbers, but there were far more minor injuries in MMA, and far more major injuries in boxing. (I read this around the time of Blackwell head injury and around the time the one guy died in VA I think). And the numbers reflect the differences between the sports. MMA is a quick skirmish, so to speak. Boxing, on the other hand, is enduring sustained punishment for multiple rounds.

I believe smaller gloves would not be good for boxing. Certainly no need for fingerless gloves in boxing

Comment

Originally posted by Sup View Post
      How is that possible if UFC has less injuries in those categories when they are allowed to kick, knee, elbow and punch?

You aren't being objective.

Brain damage comes from sustained beatings that don't knock you out. Your brain is rattling inside of your head and that's what happens in boxing. In UFC, if you get hit with a good shot you're going down. Getting knocked out cold isn't as bad as a sustained beating, which can cause blood clots and brain bleeding.
      You're a bit clueless here buddy.
      First, boxing wouldn't last long with 4oz gloves because guys would be suffering broken hands frequently. When all you're doing is throwing fists, you need the extra protection. You can't switch to kicks and grappling when you hurt your hands.

Also, there's a myth that mma gloves are responsible for more knockouts. It's the lack of defensive skill in low level fighters. Notice how even pillow fisted boxers have a lot of KOs on their records? MMA fighters are notorious for having poor defense. Look what just happened to Robbie Lawler, one of the best boxers in MMA. Gloves with no defensive padding only make it worse.

The idea that MMA fighters suffer less brain damage is flawed as well. I've seen two studies on this and neither supported MMA as being safer. If you look at the relatively short careers and quick deterioration of many mma fighters, ones has to wonder if it in fact is more damaging.

I've spent some time training in both and I've definitely felt healthiest when boxing. The padding on boxing gloves gives you better opportunity to protect yourself from damage to the head.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinamita 03 View Post
        Absolutely, Fights would end a lot sooner as overmatched fighters wouldn't have to endure unecessary punishment.
        I agree with this..

From my understanding, damage to the brain happens most when the brain swells up against the skull. Usually this is from a strong punch that drops a guy. In mma when a guy gets dropped, he gets finished, his brain swells, but fight is over and doesn't take punches with a swollen brain. In boxing a guy gets dropped but isn't finished, he gets a ten count to recover, his brain swells, but the fight continues and that swollen brain gets touched up again causing damage

Comment

Originally posted by Sup View Post
          How is that possible if UFC has less injuries in those categories when they are allowed to kick, knee, elbow and punch?

You aren't being objective.

Brain damage comes from sustained beatings that don't knock you out. Your brain is rattling inside of your head and that's what happens in boxing. In UFC, if you get hit with a good shot you're going down. Getting knocked out cold isn't as bad as a sustained beating, which can cause blood clots and brain bleeding.
          Exactly, i agree, take Emile Griffith vs Benny Paret for example, Griffith was in no way a big puncher but the beating Paret took over the fight till the unfortunate ending was just massive, even if he survived it wouldve probably came back to haunt him later on, persistent beatings tear on the body so much more

Same goes for John Mugabi, before the Hagler fight his chin seemed to be pretty decent but after the war with Hagler his chin was completely ruined and he was ripe for the taking from there on

Also when i was in Phuket, Thailand earlier this year, i was watching alot of Muay Thai shows, and the prelim bouts would be with kids that were anywhere from 5-8 years old, mauling eachother for like 3-4 rounds without headgear and without a care in the world for defense, especially this is very dangerous since these kids dont have the punching power to knock eachother out, but the beating their still developing bodies are taking are horrifying, felt so bad for these kids, but kids growing up poor in thailand either have to choose between pursuing Muay Thai or go to school/work on a farm

Comment

that's not the only significant variation. it's the length of the fights. world lcass boxers fight for 3X as long as 3 round mma fighters, and still almost twice as long as a 5 round main event fighter.

a beating in a boxing match can go up to 12 rounds if you can last that long. an MMA fight can be a maximum of 15-25 minutes, with almost every fight [under UFC rules ayway] being of the 15 minute variety.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
              The gloves are to protect the fighters hands and the opponents face getting cut up etc. They do nothing to prevent a fighter getting KO'd, the force is the same and the brain rattles around the same.
              I can see that argument, but i still think boxing gloves are safer.

For one it is much easier to block or partially block a punch when you and your opponent are wearing massive gloves. Although you can maybe punch with more force using a glove, the energy is dissipated over a wider area.

Smaller gloves would lead to more punches being landed, more accurate shots, faster shots etc.

The main factor that makes boxing more dangerous than MMA in terms of brain injury imo is A. The length of a bout.
              and B. The chance to get up after a KD and continue taking punishment.

In MMA/UFC you get dropped, there's a good chance you get stopped a moment latter, assuming the ref is doing his job. In boxing you could receive a full 8 count while semi consciously stumbling around, gather yourself when the ref asks his questions, and then continue getting battered. Look at Donaire vs Montiel for example. Absolutely crazy sport that we follow

Comment

MMA is to young of a sport to see the damages that boxing sees. Look up garey goodridge, a prominent old school mma fighter who suffers similiar traits of a punch drunk boxer.

Comment

Boxing gloves are a lot safer, you're average UFC fighter cant even throw a proper jab. Boxers throw sharper punches, with more speed and power. Imagine GGG with UFC style gloves - some of his opponents would have been seriously injured. I think Khan might have been seriously hurt if Canelo was wearing UFC style gloves when he landed that knockout punch.

Comment

Also worth considering.

Lets say for example an MMA fighter commits 50% of his time in training to striking and 50% to groundwork/wrestling, well thats 50% less blows to the head already throughout a career compared to a boxer.

Groundwork is safe as **** to practice. If you are working with experienced guys you will barely ever get hurt.

Taking blows to the head in sparring can contribute massively to a boxers brain injury over a long career.

Comment

Originally posted by doublejabbing View Post
                      MMA is to young of a sport to see the damages that boxing sees. Look up garey goodridge, a prominent old school mma fighter who suffers similiar traits of a punch drunk boxer.

goodridge was also a kickboxer. seems very self aware, but there's obviously a ton of damage there.

Comment

Working...
                      X