Differences between English, British, Commonwealth belts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between English, British, Commonwealth belts

Im from america but i love the domestic scene in England and europe,,,

I love how england has these big domestic fights like haye-fury and froch-groves...

but i was just wondering what the significants of the English, British, and Commonwealth belts..

I assume some are like the old-school NABF type belts in america,, but looking at british fighters they all seem to start off by winning these belts, and then eventually challenging for the Euro belt,, then a world title,,,

Can someone explain the belts and their history,,, I always liked them because it seems to be a good way to build a fighter....

which belt is the worse and which is the best to win,,,, what were some of the great fights for these belts...

thanks

I cant believe with all the knowledge on this board that nobody has anything to say about this thread.....

Comment

The British belt USED to mean a lot, a real lot, but like the FA Cup it's glamour has been diminished in recent years. But back when I was a kid (70's & 80's) a rising fighter would go for British, then Commonwealth & then European (or vice versa with the latter two). To fight for it you have to be from England, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales.

The Commonwealth belt is open to anyone from a Commonwealth country which is about 1/4 of the worlds nations.

As for the English belt I couldn't really tell you much about it to be honest.

Comment

The British and commonwealth belts, like their American counterparts, USBA and Nabf belts used to carry a lot more weight than they do now. Now there are so many regional titles it has been deluted a bit. There was a time when you would see a fighter get a title shot by just having that title. But now with all the intercontinental and minor titles, the belts are not as known as they once were.

Comment

IMO the single worst thing that has devastated boxing is the de valuing of all the belts, everyone always talks about the world titles and how they have gone to **** now, but the decline of smaller titles like the British, commonwealth, European etc has also impacted boxing greatly, because back in the days the British champ (for example) was a big-shot around his area, but he was still in the community, still worked a job maybe, and it just brought boxing closer into the community, inspired more young boys to start fighting.

Comment

Good posts guys,, thanks for the info...

yes it is a shame that the belts have been devalued in recent years,,, I remember when hopkins was defending the NABF belt or USBA dont remember which one, but he was always on FNF or TNF about every 2 months,, I really thought it was a great way to build a fighter, and gave prospects something to work for,,,

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
              I remember when hopkins was defending the NABF belt or USBA dont remember which one, but he was always on FNF or TNF about every 2 months,, I really thought it was a great way to build a fighter, and gave prospects something to work for,,,
              Those were all USBA title fights, the regional affiliate of the IBF (NABF is the regional affiliate of the WBC). Those USBA title defenses were how Hopkins was able to get several cracks at the IBF belt before finally winning it.

Comment

It would be cool if being a United States champion was given more attention and respect in the U.S. In terms of press and tv time.

A system where you had state champions who could then challenge for the championship of the entire country could make for a very healthy and vibrant boxing scene.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  It would be cool if being a United States champion was given more attention and respect in the U.S. In terms of press and tv time.

A system where you had state champions who could then challenge for the championship of the entire country could make for a very healthy and vibrant boxing scene.
                  100% agree.

The structure we have in our domestic scene is one of the few areas of defined levels we have in all of boxing, its a shame America doesnt put the same stock into its own domestic scene. Probably a symptom of having so many great champions over the years, you kinda forget about the local scene. But its great for prospects to move properly through the levels.

Area title - English/Celtic title - British title - European title

Its a shame many promoters see this route as being too risky nowadays and shuffle their fighters towards BS international, intercontinental, silver, WBO Euro or whatever else they can find in the cesspit that is the ABC title collection.

Comment

In theory the Commonwealth and European belts are better due to the competition, but those that reach that level sometimes then overlook them as they are also contenders for world titles so are chasing those.

The British title is the world oldest belt and from fighters i have met take more pride in winning it

Comment

Working...
                    X