Collapse
No announcement yet.

i need help becoming an amateur boxer.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need help becoming an amateur boxer.

looooooooool
    Last edited by alduraji; 12-09-2019, 03:59 PM.

are you a girl? …….Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
      are you a girl? …….Rockin'

65 lbs is awful light!

I think Taha is about a buck 65

Comment

Originally posted by Julia Slobberts View Post
        65 lbs is awful light!

I think Taha is about a buck 65
        lol 65 kg

143lbs

I mean I'm a bit muscular, but def not in the biceps. You want to lift a particular way, and doing bicep curls are def poison. Slows you down with big heavy arms. I stopped any sort of arm specific exercise after a few months. Only arm work you want are in compound exercise. If you're going to life you want to do compound exercise with explosive movements.

Working the chest, back, and shoulders are the most important, along with leg workouts.

Def work on cardio. You should be able to run 3-6 miles without stopping at an 8-10 minute pace, but sprints are going to be more important as boxing is mostly an anaerobic sport. Its important to get the slower speed longer runs ("road work") in as well.

Get into a good gym, find a good trainer, they'll mold you from there. 16 isn't a bad age to start, but you have to be dedicated and work hard.

Comment

Originally posted by alduraji
          perfect response thank you so much;

it would be much appreciated if you give me the names of those compound exercises and specific chest, back, shoulders and leg workouts.

I'm going to make a post in my threat "7 month boxing transformation" will paste it here as well.

Comment

Copy pasting my post from my other thread.

So my workout has evolved over time. At first I didn't do any plyometrics then for a while I did probably too much plyometrics. I also used to do 3 rds jump rope as a warm up before I lifted now I just do a dynamic stretching routine (shoulders were getting overworked). I also built up over a period of time and try to incorporate new exercises in there a bit here and there as I do more research/find things that look interesting.

So I train boxing for an hour (I get there early to do a dynamic stretching routine, warm up with 3 rds jump rope and a few rounds shadow boxing, and then spar around an hour. At first I would do 1 round on 1 round off, but now I do 3 rounds in a row minimum, max of 7 rounds in a row usually rotating fresh opponents occasionally I'll go against the same guy a couple rounds in a row. I also have a fight coming up so the guys at the gym don't mind). I do this on Tuesday/thurs nights and Saturday mornings.

I lift legs heavy on Sunday and lift arms heavy on Monday. I then will do sprints on Wednesday. I also run almost everyday. If I'm lifting I'll hit at least a mile or so after my workout on the treadmill, otherwise every other day I'll do 3-4 miles outside. If I'm sore I'll make it more of a recovery run, if I'm feeling pretty good I'll go for speed along with the distance.

When lifting I do a lot of supersets (2 exercises back to back), and you want to make sure that you are exploding up through your movements. Generally you want to aim for 3-6 reps for that fast twitch muscle fiber growth, but even doing 8-10 reps (which I would recommend when you are first starting out with lighter weights) you can still hit those fibers if you are exploding up through the movement.

You also don't want to spend too much time in the gym. The max I'll spend is an hour, don't take a lot of rest time inbetween and keep moving. I aim for 45 minutes, but if I'm adding on 15 minutes of cardio in the end as then its hard to get out of there super quickly (along with the warm up which is super important. don't do static stretches and i usually do a warm up set for each exercise. ie do 6 squats with just the bar before adding weight). I also add weight for each set. So if I'm starting off my heavy squat at 185, then I'll go up to 225, then will end at 305 for the last set. Same with heavy bench press, etc.

Leg routine: Dynamic warm up

Squat heavy (if you are using a smith machine then explode up onto the balls of your feet, if you are using a barbell then hold the weight in your heels more) superset directly into Barbell Jump squats (or just jump squats if you are just beginning)
            I'll usually tack on some standing calf raises with the barbell after doing the barbell jump squats before going back into the next set of squats.

Barbell Lunges and Reverse lunges followed up by plyometric lunges or plyometric step up

Romanian Deadlift followed by triple threat with stability ball

Box jumps forward and side followed by vertical depth jump forward and vertical depth jump backward followed by skater jump. (I do all of these one after the other with little rest for 3 sets)

I'll then hit a unilateral leg press and unilateral calf presses on the leg press machine last.

If you are having some issues with your knees/ankles/calves I wouldn't necessarily recommend the plyometrics. But they are great to hit after hitting a heavy lift to really help with that explosiveness and fast twitch muscle fibers. Once again do all these exercises back to back in A-B fashion for 3 sets before moving onto the next superset.

I also always run a pretty quick mile at the end of leg day followed by a cool down (either walking or riding the bike)

Upperbody: I alternate upper and lower chest specific each week. So basically the same exercises but diff positions (ie decline for lower chest incline for upper chest and have the cable machine at the top for lower chest or bottom for upper chest) Once again I do these in supersets (ie A-B for 3 sets before moving onto the next superset)

Heavy bench press into bodyweight dips (I've recently started adding weighted dips)

Push press into neutral grip pull up

I'll then hit the cable machine I do each arm individually followed by a set using both arms.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMmy2MlH55U This video at 7:11 is a perfect example, not sure of the name. But I set the cables up high if I want to hit the lower chest (and decline bench pressed) or will set them down low (if I am incline bench pressing that week).

Wide grip pull up into Wide grip lat pull down

I then do Power cleans, or if my shoulders aren't too burnt out I'll do clean and jerk for the first set or two, usually the last set is a bit too heavy to safely try to clean and jerk so I just do power cleans.

I follow up with some ab work. 20lb medicine ball overhead on the decline bench. I throw it to my girlfriend and she does a squat then throws it back. Hold it overhead all the way down, arms go back behind the head and all the way back up. I then do russian twists with the ball on the decline bench. 3 sets

I then will do 3 sets of the ab roller thing. It hits the chest as well.

Occasionally I'll throw in some unilateral shoulder press with dumbells and unilateral bench press with dumbells either incline or decline depending on the week.

Comment

I also do a lot of neck strengthening exercises and extra ab routines at home, along with the conditioning I'll do in boxing training (a lot of burnouts, wall squats, ab workouts, pushups, etc)
              Last edited by tcbender; 09-19-2018, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alduraji

extremely detailed. thank you sooo much for that.

hope you all the best in your fight
                Build up to stuff over time. In the end the best workout you can do is the one you are actually going to do on a consistent basis.

I lift legs heavy Sunday so that they can have those 2 days to get better before going back into the gym on Tuesday to box/spar, and I dislike having heavy legs and don't mind being a bit sore in the upper body as much when sparring.

And try to run as much as possible. Sprints, interval training, etc going to be real important. Otherwise just get in the gym do your thing on the mitts. Learn the basics, learn to breath properly, and get into sparring as soon as possible.

Also I'd recommend training and running with your mouth piece in (I don't lift with mouth piece in though).

Best of luck becoming an amateur!

It may seem like a lot, but really its not that much time per day if you think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by alduraji View Post
                  hey guys!

so i'm 15 - 5ft6 and weigh around 65. i live in east london and i have an ever lasting dream of becoming an amateur.

so i decided to join a boxing amateur club; my first class will be on thursday. however, I've been building muscle for around 3 months. and i look pretty muscular with some large biceps. but after scrolling through this forum - apparently, muscles are the poison for boxing. i am taking this extremely seriously and need the best option for boxing. you also need amazing cardio as a boxer and i have never stepped foot on a treadmill. so i did today and ran 3 miles in around 25 minutes and paused for like 15-30 seconds every 0.5 miles. dont know if i should work on that also ;/.

should i stop lifting and work on cardio everyday? or, in my circumstances, keep lifting?

any help will be greatly appreciated.

thank you
                  Practice your signature punch.

This can knock out even Canelo:

Comment

Originally posted by abracada View Post
                    Practice your signature punch.

This can knock out even Canelo:

Tornadooo!

Comment

Working...
                    X