Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Miguel Cotto To Take a Few Months Off, Ponder Return

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope Cotto just retires. He's no longer mentally focused to be an elite fighter, nor does he possess the physical skills anymore. I hope he makes a good business decision and retires and begins promoting the youth on the island.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
      Lifelong fan of Cotto, but a ginger/Cotto ppv woud be a slap in my face. However as I stream, I'll be expecting upset all the way. The way I figure it, if Cotto's elder career lightweight brother can hurt ginger, the mass shouldn't be surprised if Cotto does better.
      He might do better that doesnt mean he'll win

Comment

I hope he retires, He clearly doesnt have it any more, the old Cotto would of turned it up a notch againts Trout..but he seems to be stuck in the same gear..plus he is to small for 154. He had a great carreer fought everyone.

Comment

I've been a fan of Cotto for 13 years..the guy just got lazy..he should be making 147 and fighting there but he's just gotten too complacent between fights and balloons up to 180 and then has to struggle to get to 154..stop eating so much fried shhhhh...at 154 he's going to get hurt..he's not strong enough nor big enough to compete in that division. He'd get bludgeoned by the punchers in the division..he beat a margarito with one working eye..that to me is not enough to validate you belong in that division.

Comment

Originally posted by liraj View Post
            Exactly. He'll never be relevant at 154 again. Cotto need's to get his ass down to 147 ASAP.

He's only 5'7 it shouldn't be that hard.
            exactamundo ;-)

well, i wouldn't say he's irrelevant at '54. he's just much more effective at '47

Comment

Cotto should go back to 147. Cotto vs marquez???!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Albeerto View Post
                Cotto should go back to 147. Cotto vs marquez???!!!!
                I think he should retire..but a Cotto -vs- Marquez at 147..hmmm...that would be interesting.

Comment

Forums

Sometimes I read these forums and wonder if there is anyone out there who really knows what theyre talking about...

If you lose a fight now, you are condemned and deemed irrelevant... Why not give his opponent some credit. Austin Trout fought a great fight. That being said, the fight was extremely competetive. I thought Cotto won every round from 3-7, and there were a bunch of close swing rounds. I think Cottos choice of opponent had more to do with how he looked.... it was a very tough fight. Cotto also has a problem with swelling up. His defense is much better now than it was in the past. Going into this fight Cotto's +- compubox rating at Junior Middlewieght was @ +10... He showed his defense in this fight as well. take a look at all of Cottos postfight interviews Pre-Margarito I, and you will see how unscathed his face seems... every fight after Margarito his face looks dogged up. Mayweather only landed 26% of his punches margarito only land 18% (none of them very clean) Cottos face would tell you otherwise.... it took yuri 1 punch to open a mouse under cottos eye.

truth is Cotto is everything the game needs. Floyds a great fighter, but if he fought Margarito when Cotto did, I have a hard time believeing that he would have been able to survive as long as Miguel did.

All this being said, I think Cotto is still fighting at an elite level, although he may have lost a gear or two. He still has great wins to offer. I just hope someone on his team can guide him in the right direction. He needs a new philosophy in terms of Strength & Conditioning.... his body needs something new... Trainers good, but he could use a new strength coach and a good 10 month layoff. Heal the body, think about where his next campaign should be at.. if 154 a rematch with trout after a couple of tune ups... maybe a bundrage or something.... then a rematch with trout... he was good enough in the first fight for me to believe he could win a rematch and potentially knock trout out with a new strength and conditioning regimen. Hes been doing the same thing for too long...

Comment

Originally posted by onetwopunch View Post
                    I think he should retire..but a Cotto -vs- Marquez at 147..hmmm...that would be interesting.
                    I think so too. Both are stars in the game & the fight would draw huge numbers. They both dont need to chase belts at this point and it would add another big name to their resume(winner) in their HOF careers.

Comment

Originally posted by thatdudespits View Post
                      Sometimes I read these forums and wonder if there is anyone out there who really knows what theyre talking about...

If you lose a fight now, you are condemned and deemed irrelevant... Why not give his opponent some credit. Austin Trout fought a great fight. That being said, the fight was extremely competetive. I thought Cotto won every round from 3-7, and there were a bunch of close swing rounds. I think Cottos choice of opponent had more to do with how he looked.... it was a very tough fight. Cotto also has a problem with swelling up. His defense is much better now than it was in the past. Going into this fight Cotto's +- compubox rating at Junior Middlewieght was @ +10... He showed his defense in this fight as well. take a look at all of Cottos postfight interviews Pre-Margarito I, and you will see how unscathed his face seems... every fight after Margarito his face looks dogged up. Mayweather only landed 26% of his punches margarito only land 18% (none of them very clean) Cottos face would tell you otherwise.... it took yuri 1 punch to open a mouse under cottos eye.

truth is Cotto is everything the game needs. Floyds a great fighter, but if he fought Margarito when Cotto did, I have a hard time believeing that he would have been able to survive as long as Miguel did.

All this being said, I think Cotto is still fighting at an elite level, although he may have lost a gear or two. He still has great wins to offer. I just hope someone on his team can guide him in the right direction. He needs a new philosophy in terms of Strength & Conditioning.... his body needs something new... Trainers good, but he could use a new strength coach and a good 10 month layoff. Heal the body, think about where his next campaign should be at.. if 154 a rematch with trout after a couple of tune ups... maybe a bundrage or something.... then a rematch with trout... he was good enough in the first fight for me to believe he could win a rematch and potentially knock trout out with a new strength and conditioning regimen. Hes been doing the same thing for too long...
                      I like Cotto, but he isnt the same fighter anymore..its sad but true. He went out and fought everyone that no one really wanted to fight. Cotto at 147 was great, at 154..he dont have the same power. At 140-147 he had that Rocky Marciano type power he would hit you all over and break you down, at 154 the guys are much bigger and can take more damage. Cotto's frame is way to small for that weight, and if he isnt willing to dedicate himself to boxing 100%, then he needs to retire. He almost looked like he gave up againts Trout in the later rounds...thats not a good sign.

Comment

Working...
                      X