Who Should Boo Tay Fight Next???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
    Maybe, but -
    If that were true it was a bad gamble on Pavlik tonight because now that fight looks irrelevant.

And Hopkins didn't exactly wow people against Jones.

I can't see any buzz for either fight.
    HBO has made fights out of worse situations than this.

Notice how much they mentioned that Pavlik was having trouble making weight? It would be really easy for them to pass off his performance tonight as simply outgrowing the weight class if they were trying to market a fight with Bute.

And Hopkins hasn't wowed people since he was coming off another lackluster win against an aging legend (Wright) and people were saying he was finished, until HBO put him in the ring with another young white fighter who was just beginning to build a lot of hype (Pavlik). HBO could market the **** out of Bute-Hopkins if they wanted to. Like I said before, if HBO thinks they've got a guy who can DEFINITIVELY beat Hopkins (something only a young RJJ has done), then they will air the fight. And I think HBO feels they have that with Bute... even though Hopkins always makes for an ugly fight. But they've been trying to steal Hopkins' torch for a decade now and pass it along to someone else they can make money with.

Comment

Working...
    X