Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arum: Hearn doesn't understand the American market at all

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And the people who ruined the American market and decreased boxing's popularity over the time, do? Hilarious.

Comment

Agree with Bob.

Talked about it the other day with Redd Foxx, I think, I cant think of a single promoter who has been genuinely and consistently successful across 2 major boxing markets.

King used to do very successful one off shows, but he wasn't embedded in the UK scene for example with a stable of fighters. He just took big fights to different markets.

This is an extremely ambitious move from Hearn that could see him stretching way too thin and falling flat on his face. If I had to bet, I would say he probably will not succeed. At some point DAZN are probably going to reach out to a US promoter, maybe even PBC and Al Haymon as the guys with the biggest stable and no major online outlet, for their content.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
        Agree with Bob.

Talked about it the other day with Redd Foxx, I think, I cant think of a single promoter who has been genuinely and consistently successful across 2 major boxing markets.

King used to do very successful one off shows, but he wasn't embedded in the UK scene for example with a stable of fighters. He just took big fights to different markets.

This is an extremely ambitious move from Hearn that could see him stretching way too thin and falling flat on his face. If I had to bet, I would say he probably will not succeed. At some point DAZN are probably going to reach out to a US promoter, maybe even PBC and Al Haymon as the guys with the biggest stable and no major online outlet, for their content.
        Yea, I can understand why he made the push. Things blew up and he decided to strike while the iron is hot. Smart move. Didn't work out as well as he'd hoped but the most successful business people often have their hands in many pots. That means you're going to have failures. Didn't stop people like Gordon Ramsey or Donald Trump from having major successes.

Comment

I have just seen the Arum interview and he makes a valid point. I can see the DAZN shows based in the US doing well as the marketing that Hearn\Matchroom do I personally think is impressive.

But in regards to viewing figures will the shows from different time zones work e.g. Joshua vs Povetkin will be in the afternoon stateside so bound to be a clash with their sports no? If for example a big UK boxing show was at the same time as Premiership football that wouldn't work at all would it?

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            Yea, I can understand why he made the push. Things blew up and he decided to strike while the iron is hot. Smart move. Didn't work out as well as he'd hoped but the most successful business people often have their hands in many pots. That means you're going to have failures. Didn't stop people like Gordon Ramsey or Donald Trump from having major successes.
            I think he got his timing wrong from what I can see. A few years ago HBO was on its arse (still is), PBC seemed to be struggling with cashflow, prob due to some legal battles with investors, Top Rank was just getting a foothold on ESPN, the American market seemed to be floundering a bit. A Hearn/DAZN announcement then probably would have been much more meaningful. Still would have been an uphill battle, but the scene was more ready for the taking.

Now Top Rank has signed a great deal with ESPN+, exactly the online market Hearn wanted to penetrate, and PBC is splashing big money again with new deals on Showtime and Fox. Suddenly all those fighters Hearn thought he could poach are signing big new deals and their promoters are able to provide them with lots of dates.

Comment

Originally posted by robz8701 View Post
              I have just seen the Arum interview and he makes a valid point. I can see the DAZN shows based in the US doing well as the marketing that Hearn\Matchroom do I personally think is impressive.

But in regards to viewing figures will the shows from different time zones work e.g. Joshua vs Povetkin will be in the afternoon stateside so bound to be a clash with their sports no? If for example a big UK boxing show was at the same time as Premiership football that wouldn't work at all would it?
              Some of the timing issues will be mitigated by the fact the fights will be uploaded instantly to their catch up service. Instead of having to fish around on youtube for fights you have missed, you can just watch it straight away whenever you want.

A boxing journo posted this screenshot on twitter

I think it looks pretty good. All matchroom so far, but im assuming all the WBSS fights will be treated the same.

Comment

Originally posted by animelive View Post
                And the people who ruined the American market and decreased boxing's popularity over the time, do? Hilarious.
                Arum is definitely one of those. He has enough money and moxie to survive it and still be around for the mini-revival happening now.

Comment

I have zero doubt it will look and flow good, as said I am big fan of how Matchroom market their content and fights/fighters. It has a very professional and polished look about it. The way Hearn also does all the interviews with various YouTube channels and podcasts makes sure his company, his fighters and himself stay relevant and talked about.

Good luck to him as bold move. I didn't really think about the catch-up side of things as it's about subscribers isn't it and not necessarily viewing figures at the time of the fight - my bad.

If they can become the Netflix of sport then that would be impressive.

Comment

Solid points by Arum.

DAZN picking a UK guy to build a US boxing product hasn't been something I've seen many people mention, but yea the more you say that out loud, despite Hearn's impressive UK success, the sillier that sounds.

As to the Joshua thing they'd have to be stupid to keep Joshua in the UK if he's with DAZN long term. So if Hearn isn't bringing Joshua to the US with his next fight or soon after its sorta a waste to have Joshua with DAZN.

Comment

If Arum doesn't understand the game, then nobody does

Comment

Working...
                      X