Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Floyd’s Contract Ploys, Requested Olympic Drug Tests Valid or a Sign of Weakness?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Floyd’s Contract Ploys, Requested Olympic Drug Tests Valid or a Sign of Weakness?

Boxing News and Views
    By: Coach “K”

The Manny Pacquiao / Floyd “Money” Mayweather upcoming mega fight only in the preliminary stages of negotiations has already hits its full compliment of the usual Mayweather games.

Mayweather has begun his soon to be an arms length list of demands for him to enter the ring with Manny Pacquiao. Is it a psychological ploy or is “Money” again setting the table. Or in this case with Pacquiao’s ever growing support could it be a tiny crack in the Mayweather armor..

Just recent history shows how Mayweather will use his gigantic draw to influence all the tactical and minor aspects of his fight contracts. In his last outing he set the required weight limits forcing Marquez to move up almost two full weight classes then didn’t make the weight himself. Some see that as a minor issue as Marquez received $600,000 to take the fight. You must forget the fact that Marquez took the money, he is a fighter, he already trained in a full training camp one that Mayweather extended due to an alleged injury. There was also people who needed to be paid and as a fighter he came to fight but the truth is he was set up.

The weight played to Mayweather’s advantage big time and it was obvious the minute the two entered the ring. Putting that aside, Mayweather should have been substantially fined as well as pay Marquez. The money paid to Marquez for all practical purposes was found money not Mayweather’s. If the fight doesn’t happen there is no pay day and Mayweather would have been the cause of the cancellation. Why wasn’t Mayweather forced to jump rope, hit the sauna just loose the weight. Add to the fact he refused to release his weight.

Now here we go déjà vu all over again. According to several sources Floyd Mayweather, Jr. has again threatened to pull out of his March 13th mega fight with Manny Pacquiao over weight issues. Rumors are that Mayweather wants a bigger leeway in the maximum weight and bigger gloves. This is the type of thing that drives boxing purists insane. Boxing has added junior weight classes, fights at catch weights on top of the 24hr weigh in policy and now even a Diamond Belt for so called catch weight championships. What’s next?

This brings to mind the Leonard / Hagler 1987 championship fight still hotly debated today. Years after the fight Leonard in an interview basically admitted the fight was won in the negotiations. Hagler was paid to agree to a bigger the ring, bigger gloves and the shorter distance down from fifteen rounds to twelve. Leonard the declared winner felt he won the close controversial decision but was honest enough to admit that if he didn’t get any one of those concessions the fight may have gone differently. Add to that now inspired by a claim from Floyd Mayweather Sr. that Pacquiao is on steroids team Mayweather now wants Olympic style drug testing.

Most feel that “Money” Mayweather has always made the better business moves like facing Baldomir instead of Margarito since the money was close. Looking back now was it money, doubt, money versus risk or a tilted scale? Risk part of the ground roots draw in boxing and something that Mayweather does not want in the ring and that is the cause of all his negotiations. Most fighters ranked or not would step in to fight Mayweather just looking for a big pay day but Mayweather still needing a recognizable name. It’s when he gets it that all the scale tipping, risk minimizing starts.

But what were talking about here is champions, the best pound for pound, not just the fight everyone wants to see. What good is the man on man, one on one draw if there is always a negotiated variable? If there was ever was a case for regulation or even just some standardization, its now. Let’s get rid of the days where a fighter wins the welterweight title weighing 160lbs, fighters wearing different gloves and all the other variables. Lets see one belt and one set of rules that’s how you measure the best.

Boxing sometimes referred to as the “sweet science” is anything but a science. In science all studies are made with a means, a basis, a standard for comparison, boxing no longer has that. We might as well be comparing apples and oranges.

I understand it’s a business but it is the fans that pay the bills, just give us a straight up fair fight. Who would go to a Yankee game if when a power team comes to town they move out the fences. Or if a speed team comes in they move the bases to 100 feet. Why do we allow the fighters to tip the scales? We don’t allow it in any other sport.

In a sport where toughness is a favorable trait and the idea of adapting and overcoming is a virtue. Why do we allow the Mayweather’s to shift the scales? All we want is a fair fight. Maybe the occasional upset, you know rooting for the underdog, Rocky wouldn’t have had a chance in a 24ft ring, 12ounce gloves and a ten round fight. Using the Mayweather mind set, what was Apollo thinking?

Manny, do boxing a favor! You hold the trump card. Take the tests it will only solidify you as one of boxing’s greatest in and out of the ring but please stand your ground on all Mayweather’s other nonsense.

If it’s about the money, Mayweather will eventually come around he needs Pacquiao more than the “Pacman” needs him. Like many I’d go see a Pacquiao / Mosley fight both are true fighters and champions always taking on the best ducking no one. A Mosley / Mayweather fight won’t ever happen unless Mayweather negotiates “the fight” out fit. He will take on a lesser opponent or make someone else move up just like his choice of Baldomir over Margarito.

As far as it being a crack in the Mayweather armor, only the fight will tell. But if there is anything that will bring a fighter down it’s doubt. Is the questioning about steroids a fear, a doubt, a ploy? I see all this usual negotiation crap an attempt to erase some doubt by tilting the scales. If Manny really wants to plant some doubt fight under the standard sanctioning body rules winner takes all if there’s a crack you’ll see it!
    valid
    35.00%
    ploy to withdraw from fight
    10.00%
    sign of weakness
    55.00%

This **** is gay as F. They can test it if they want too but it just proff that Gayweather is scared as F. I have never seen a boxing fight with Olympic style drug testing before. Gayweather is the bigger man here also, if I had his skill and his size I would just say bring it on.

Comment

Pac should have it in his contract also for them to do a cavity check. He's a humble guy and it would be unfair for him to fight a gay boxer. If it proofs that Floyd is indeed gay, he souldn't fight Floyd.

Comment

he learned from oscar....since oscar got everything he wanted in his negotiations

Comment

Another one of the worst articles in history. He makes such a big deal about Floyd doing things yet he can only talk about 1 fight. He talks non stop about gloves & ring size when Roach & Arum admitted that Floyd never had an issue with that. Now he's talking about the weight because he heard a rumor even though Ellerbe just said that **** isnt true. I also didnt see this same writer complaing when Pac was forcing Cotto and others to drain themselves in his previous fight. Was that an advantage? Its a joke

Comment

I think they should also include trainers and assistants in these tests aside from the boxers and lets see whose legs will be shaking in fear:

Freddie Roach
            Bobboy Fernandez
            Alex Ariza

Roger Mayweather
            Mayweather Sr.

Last edited by ThunderWolf; 12-17-2009, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Requested olympic testing is a great idea.

Comment

To be honest I don't even know why I post here anymore. This forum used to be the best place on the internet for true boxing debate. Now it's just constant fanboy arguing. I assume my opinion will just come off as a 'typical mayweather Mayweather fan' (even though I think Manny is one of the best things to happen to the sport)

I think mandatory Olympic style testing needs to save the sport. People that don't think Steroids are a serious problem in boxing are naive or just dumb. I mean look at the reaction in baseball over the past couple years. Sports writers constantly bring up how steroids were obviously a problem in baseball and if any fan used common sense they could conclude that something fishy was going on in the late 90s.

There are a few boxers I suspect are taking steroids or banned substances and Manny is one of them. What you Manny fans fail to understand is that most boxing historians are struggling to figure out how to rank current fighters on the All Time Great lists because we're living in a steroid era.

If Manny passes a full Olympic Blood test he would jump from my top 30 to my top five P4P ever. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by dancast9999 View Post
                  To be honest I don't even know why I post here anymore. This forum used to be the best place on the internet for true boxing debate. Now it's just constant fanboy arguing. I assume my opinion will just come off as a 'typical mayweather Mayweather fan' (even though I think Manny is one of the best things to happen to the sport)

I think mandatory Olympic style testing needs to save the sport. People that don't think Steroids are a serious problem in boxing are naive or just dumb. I mean look at the reaction in baseball over the past couple years. Sports writers constantly bring up how steroids were obviously a problem in baseball and if any fan used common sense they could conclude that something fishy was going on in the late 90s.

There are a few boxers I suspect are taking steroids or banned substances and Manny is one of them. What you Manny fans fail to understand is that most boxing historians are struggling to figure out how to rank current fighters on the All Time Great lists because we're living in a steroid era.

If Manny passes a full Olympic Blood test he would jump from my top 30 to my top five P4P ever. Seriously.
                  Great great post man. Boxingscene may not be what it once was but you should post more often and maybe bring more life into it, feel me?

Comment

I think all fights should be dealt with in this way, i mean wtf have they been doing before???? just asking the fighters if they r on drugs?

Comment

Working...
                    X