No announcement yet.

who's greater joe calzaghe or winky wright

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by daggum View Post
    yeah he was number 2 at his highest. then he fought roy jones and the ring was like what the hell were we thinking back to #3 you go! calzaghe was already up to #5 based on wins over kessler, lacy and ten years of bums. what i don't understand is how chris john is not even in the top 10? he beat marquez, is 46-0, and has 15 title defenses. come on ring step your game up.
    He didn't kill American legends in their own backyard, you need to factor in Ring magazine's heavy bias towards US fighters. I mean they have Bradley at No.8 pfp while Vitali Klitschko and Carl Froch were on the outside looking in.

You have to stick one on 'em for them to rate you, Calzaghe did that to two of their greatest so took his place at the top.
    Last edited by Weebler I; 12-16-2011, 08:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
      He didn't kill American legends in their own backyard, you need to factor in Ring magazine's heavy bias towards US fighters. I mean they have Bradley at No.8 pfp while Vitali Klitschko and Carl Froch were on the outside looking in.
      yes he did. he killed rocky juarez twice.

Comment

yes he did. he killed rocky juarez twice.
        not quite beating B-Hop in Vegas and RJJ in NYC though is it.

Which reminds me, when did RJJ, Hopkins or any of those other supposed 'pfp greats' leave their home comforts in their prime and come to fight in Europe?

...and people claim JC was 'protected', he got it done domestically and he got it done overseas.

Comment

• Comment

Which reminds me, when did RJJ, Hopkins or any of those other supposed 'pfp greats' leave their home comforts in their prime and come to fight in Europe?

...and people claim JC was 'protected', he got it done domestically and he got it done overseas.
            you don't understand how boxing works that is obvious. they fought in the usa because that's where hbo is located. same reason pac fights in the usa and not anywhere else. how can you blame someone for just being lucky that they were born here? most boxers try their hardest to get noticed and dream of fighting on hbo in america. they don't usually dream of fighting in ice rinks against bums on the local television station like calzaghe did. so you want hopkins/jones to not fight here just to make you happy even though it makes zero sense for them or hbo?

calzaghe was protected. he fought bums and wasn't noticed at all on the boxing radar for good reason. he had the opportunity to fight in the states but he turned it down to make easy money. same exact thing chris john is doing right now. does anyone take chris john seriously? no. should gamboa/donaire go over to indonesia to fight him? no. same exact scenario calzaghe was in but you love calzaghe so you refuse to see it. instead of blaming calzaghe you blame others. pathetic.

why do you think the super 6 final and 90% of all major fights take place in the usa? now you want hopkins/jones to leave that environment just to please you? ******ed. they just had a lucky draw. similar to how if you want to play in the premiere league the guys in europe have an advantage over guys in the usa. should the guys in the usa cry and complain while they play in their crappy little leagues or should they try to get into the premier league themselves? we know what crybaby calzaghe and his fans did for his entire career.
            Last edited by daggum; 12-16-2011, 09:38 PM.

Comment

you really destroy your credibility when you keep mentioning the roy jones win as something legit. jones was far gone. if vitali beats holyfield will that impressive the crap out of you like calzaghe's epic win over jones did?

Comment

you don't understand how boxing works that is obvious. they fought in the usa because that's where hbo is located. same reason pac fights in the usa and not anywhere else. how can you blame someone for just being lucky that they were born here? most boxers try their hardest to get noticed and dream of fighting on hbo in america. they don't usually dream of fighting in ice rinks against bums on the local television station like calzaghe did. so you want hopkins/jones to not fight here just to make you happy even though it makes zero sense for them or hbo?
                The arrogance is frightening with that statement, a real lack of self-awareness.

Oh I know how it works, all too well and I know Calzaghe took real risks coming across and I know Cortez gave Hopkins every opportunity in the world to beat him refereeing completely differently from his approach in the Hatton/Mayweather fight in order to facilitate B-Hop just like he did FMJ, but 'nard STILL couldn't get it done because ultimately JC was too good. It is what it is.

Even late in their careers, RJJ and B-Hop wouldn't come across when they could've fought in front of a bigger live gate than at any time previous in their careers. Kessler/Calzaghe pulled in 50,000, B-Hop fight would've been even bigger - tell me fighters don't dream about that. Say what you want about Gerald McClellan but at least the guy had guts, pfp 2 or 3 at the time too, if he could they could, but they didn't and Joe did.

calzaghe was protected. he fought bums and wasn't noticed at all on the boxing radar for good reason. he had the opportunity to fight in the states but he turned it down to make easy money. same exact thing chris john is doing right now. does anyone take chris john seriously? no. should gamboa/donaire go over to indonesia to fight him? no. same exact scenario calzaghe was in but you love calzaghe so you refuse to see it.
                Same reason Carl Froch wasn't rated on the 'boxing radar' which is really a 'US boxing radar', he was given the least chance to win the Super 6 even after KO-ing Taylor in his hometown and UDing Pascal. It's only now the boxing world are catching up and they still don't have him in the pfp rankings whereas a guy like Bradley who can run and hide is.

While I give him credit for being a tremendous pure boxer I'm not actually the biggest Calzaghe fan, his style wasn't combative enough for me but fook me you hate the guy and give him barely any credit at all. Even if you despise the guy you should at least give him credit for travelling overseas and beating a good (some say legendary) fighter in Vegas, it's not like Hopkins has fared poorly since.

Comment

The arrogance is frightening with that statement, a real lack of self-awareness.

Oh I know how it works, all too well and I know Calzaghe took real risks coming across and I know Cortez gave Hopkins every opportunity in the world to beat him refereeing completely differently from his approach in the Hatton/Mayweather fight in order to facilitate B-Hop just like he did FMJ, but 'nard STILL couldn't get it done because ultimately JC was too good. It is what it is.

Even late in their careers, RJJ and B-Hop wouldn't come across when they could've fought in front of a bigger live gate than at any time previous in their careers. Kessler/Calzaghe pulled in 50,000, B-Hop fight would've been even bigger - tell me fighters don't dream about that. Say what you want about Gerald McClellan but at least the guy had guts, pfp 2 or 3 at the time too, if he could they could, but they didn't and Joe did.

Same reason Carl Froch wasn't rated on the 'boxing radar' which is really a 'US boxing radar', he was given the least chance to win the Super 6 even after KO-ing Taylor in his hometown and UDing Pascal. It's only now the boxing world are catching up and they still don't have him in the pfp rankings whereas a guy like Bradley who can run and hide is.

While I give him credit for being a tremendous pure boxer I'm not actually the biggest Calzaghe fan, his style wasn't combative enough for me but fook me you hate the guy and give him barely any credit at all. Even if you despise the guy you should at least give him credit for travelling overseas and beating a good (some say legendary) fighter in Vegas, it's not like Hopkins has fared poorly since.
                  how is me pointing out the truth arrogance? most major fights take place in the usa. that is a simple fact. i'm sorry you don't like it. i'm stating facts and you are trying to spin them into something nationalistic. get a clue. is a boxer lucky if he's born in myanmar? no. is a boxer lucky if he's born in peru? no. is a boxer lucky if he's born in the usa? yes. omg the arrogance how could i say the truth! a boxer born in the usa has more opportunities then someone who is born in a foreign country. you want them to give up those opportunities just to please your sorry ass?

where does #1 manny pac fight? usa
                  where does #2 floyd fight? usa
                  where does #3 martinez fight? usa
                  where does #4 donaire fight? usa
                  where does #5 marquez fight? usa

weebler- "WHY AREN'T THEY FIGHTING IN EUROPE THOSE DUCKING FRAUDS! they are all ducking ricky burns and kevin mitchell!"

absolutely clueless. how was he different? he didn't let hopkins fight on the inside at all just like hatton. does he ever let fighters fight on the inside? the answer is no. just look at khan-maidana. you don't even know what you are watching. if cortez allowed hopkins to fight on the inside he probably wouldn't have become winded. hopkins is one of the best inside fighters in the sport and cortez completely took away that dimension yet cortez was helping hopkins? how do you reach such stupid conclusions? once again i urge you to actually watch the fight instead of spouting nonsense that doesn't correlate with reality.

calzaghe has no inside game at all. watch the bika fight for evidence. everytime bika got close he busted calzaghe up and calzaghe just held on until he got separation. now watch the hopkins fight. every time hopkins got too close calzaghe just grabbed on and waited for separation and cortez would oblige even if hopkins had a hand free and was punching him! and this helped hopkins? how did resetting the action and allowing calzaghe to get off more slap furries help hopkins? yes hopkins did start clinching just to buy rests towards the end but calzaghe wasn't working during those clinches anyway so cortez broke them. nothing to complain about there.

hbo didn't want to do the fight there and since they have the money fighters do what they say. why is this so hard to understand for you?

how was froch not rated? he was in the damn super six so that says a lot right there. calzaghe wasn't rated until lacy because he just fought bums like ottke. makes sense to me. if you are just gonna fight bums you don't deserve to be taken seriously.

i do give him credit for taking the fight although he clearly should have lost. i'm not going to pretend like a guy who was out landed in clean punches in most of the rounds, was buckled on 5-6 occasions and could barely hit his opponent won a fight just because he threw a sh-it load of ineffective punches.
                  Last edited by daggum; 12-16-2011, 11:16 PM.

Comment

how is me pointing out the truth arrogance? most major fights take place in the usa. that is a simple fact. i'm sorry you don't like it. i'm stating facts and you are trying to spin them into something nationalistic. get a clue. is a boxer lucky if he's born in myanmar? no. is a boxer lucky if he's born in peru? no. is a boxer lucky if he's born in the usa? yes. omg the arrogance how could i say the truth! a boxer born in the usa has more opportunities then someone who is born in a foreign country. you want them to give up those opportunities just to please your sorry ass?

where does #1 manny pac fight? usa
                    where does #2 floyd fight? usa
                    where does #3 martinez fight? usa
                    where does #4 donaire fight? usa
                    where does #5 marquez fight? usa

weebler- "WHY AREN'T THEY FIGHTING IN EUROPE THOSE DUCKING FRAUDS! they are all ducking ricky burns and kevin mitchell!"

absolutely clueless. how was he different? he didn't let hopkins fight on the inside at all just like hatton. does he ever let fighters fight on the inside? the answer is no. just look at khan-maidana. you don't even know what you are watching. when calzaghe was clinching and hopkins was throwing punches with free hands he would break them anyway. how does that help hopkins........ if cortez allowed hopkins to fight on the inside he probably wouldn't have became winded. hopkins is one of the best inside fighters in the sport and cortez completely took away that dimension yet cortez was helping hopkins? how do you reach such stupid conclusions? once again i urge you to actually watch the fight instead of spouting nonsense that doesn't correlate with reality.

hbo didn't want to do the fight there and since they have the money fighters do what they say. why is this so hard to understand for you?

how was froch not rated? he was in the damn super six so that says a lot right there. calzaghe wasn't rated until lacy because he just fought bums like ottke. makes sense to me. if you are just gonna fight bums you don't deserve to be taken seriously.

i do give him credit for taking the fight although he clearly should have lost. i'm not going to pretend like a guy who was out landed in clean punches in most of the rounds, was buckled on 5-6 occasions and could barely hit his opponent won a fight just because he threw a sh-it load of ineffective punches.
                    Hey man, easy with that.

I'm all for the Calzaghe bashing. But Mitchell I'm not.

Mitchell despite being part of the Frank Warren clan has taken tough fights, fihgts he was supposed to lose. His latest in which Warren was trying to feed him to John Murray.

Believe me, Mitchell would head over the the U.S and get his brains bashed in against Rios in a heartbeat if he got to oppurtunity.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      Hey man, easy with that.

I'm all for the Calzaghe bashing. But Mitchell I'm not.

Mitchell despite being part of the Frank Warren clan has taken tough fights, fihgts he was supposed to lose. His latest in which Warren was trying to feed him to John Murray.

Believe me, Mitchell would head over the the U.S and get his brains bashed in against Rios in a heartbeat if he got to oppurtunity.
                      according to weebler mitchell shouldn't have to come to the usa. pac, mayweather and all the other top fighters should come to him otherwise they are frauds. it's pure nonsense and sour grapes. nothing more.

Comment

Working...
                      X