• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
    thats what makes it all worth it...
    True Dat......Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by .!WAR MIKEY! View Post
      lmfao what you gonna do? lmfao beside break yo hip? lmfao I mean even in your prime you couldnt bust a grape lmfao STFU and sit yo old ass down in a corner somewhere indian style! go play some suduko
      Atleast I am not a no fight piece of sheit talking sheit to somebody who walked the walk.... you lil' beeaatch! …….Rockin'
      Last edited by Rockin'; 08-09-2018, 07:16 PM.

Comment

I'd say being a catcher in MLB.

Squatting down for 9 innings, catching 90-99mph balls over 100 times per game. Catchers probably have back issues very young. It's grueling.

You call every pitch, so you call the game basically. Hence why catchers make great coaches after retiring.

Shortened seasons due to physical wear and tear, shortened careers, less chance of joining prestigious 500 homerun, 3000 hit club, and less chance of winning MVP awards. Because of this, the standard for catchers joining the HOF is also lowered. For example Mike Pizza hit 427 homeruns, and a little over 2000 hits, and he made it to the HOF, because relative to catchers in MLB history, those are high numbers (#1 in HR's by a Catcher in MLB history). Catchers cannot play 162 games a season, so they are not expected to have 500-600 career homeruns or 3000+ hits. Same with Yogi Berra, Carlton Fisk, Gary Carter, etc. These guys are in the HOF because they are among the best offensive catchers in history despite hitting 350+ homers and just over 2k hits.

Comment

Originally posted by Julia Slobberts View Post
          Combat sports are definitely the toughest. Out of breath and gasping for air while someone is trying to punch you in the head is about as tough as it gets!
          But it's not a position.

There's combat sports and there are sports with position players.

They have to be separated.

Physically, yes, boxing is the toughest sport. That's already been proven by ESPN and a panel of experts that study muscle movement in all Olympic sports, boxing came out on top.

But sports that require position players is different. It's comparing apples and oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
            I'd say being a catcher in MLB.

Squatting down for 9 innings, catching 90-99mph balls over 100 times per game. Catchers probably have back issues very young. It's grueling.

You call every pitch, so you call the game basically. Hence why catchers make great coaches after retiring.

Shortened seasons due to physical wear and tear, shortened careers, less chance of joining prestigious 500 homerun, 3000 hit club, and less chance of winning MVP awards. Because of this, the standard for catchers joining the HOF is also lowered. For example Mike Pizza hit 427 homeruns, and a little over 2000 hits, and he made it to the HOF, because relative to catchers in MLB history, those are high numbers (#1 in HR's by a Catcher in MLB history). Catchers cannot play 162 games a season, so they are not expected to have 500-600 career homeruns or 3000+ hits. Same with Yogi Berra, Carlton Fisk, Gary Carter, etc. These guys are in the HOF because they are among the best offensive catchers in history despite hitting 350+ homers and just over 2k hits.
            Very interesting, but I'd say starting MLB pitcher is more grueling and taxing on the body and a more important position than catcher. There's a reason why they only pitch every 5th day and have a high rate of injuries to their shoulders and arm. But despite all that, it's arguably the game's most important position. You ask any GM if they would take a Randy Johnson in his prime or a Mike Piazza and unless the GM is an idiot, he'll take RJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Theodore View Post
              Very interesting, but I'd say starting MLB pitcher is more grueling and taxing on the body and a more important position than catcher. There's a reason why they only pitch every 5th day and have a high rate of injuries to their shoulders and arm. But despite all that, it's arguably the game's most important position. You ask any GM if they would take a Randy Johnson in his prime or a Mike Piazza and unless the GM is an idiot, he'll take RJ.
              A HOF pitcher will be better than a HOF catcher for your team for sure. R. Johnson's WAR (wins above replacement) is 100, while Piazza's is 60. So yeah Johnson will equal more wins for your team.

But still, a pitcher can play more seasons than a catcher anyway. Pitchers can go from starters, to relievers, to closers to pitching complete games, to just going 5 innings. Because they only pitch every 5th game, they rest more. By season's end, catchers are all banged up, from wild pitches, foul tipped balls that bruised them up, sore legs, aching backs. While pitchers can go into the post season and world series still throwing heat and looking just as good or better than they did in game 1 of the regular season.

Johnson, Clemens, Ryan pitched 20+ seasons. A catcher cannot do that, it's way too grueling. Actually catchers eventually have to transition to DH or 1B, because 35+ year olds can't really do that job, if they do, they're an exception. There's plenty of pitchers that have pitched successfully into their late 30s and early 40s.

CC Sabathia, even with knee injuries and almost 38 years old, is enjoying a nice, successful season in the toughest division in the MLB, the AL East. He has a 3.49 ERA. Piazza on other hand, at the same age, was done, physically and as a batter and a slugger, he was just done and retired at that age, he was no longer effective.

Comment

Being the dwarf in those dwarf tossing competitions has to be pretty rough.

Comment

Originally posted by Julia Slobberts View Post
                  Combat sports are definitely the toughest. Out of breath and gasping for air while someone is trying to punch you in the head is about as tough as it gets!
                  Hitting a man, when your hand is broken is an exquisite pain. I boxed. My memories, a few trophies, and a lifetime of pain in my hands, and face is my take away.

I can’t open jars in winter, my wife does it for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X