No announcement yet.

How to utilize the straight right?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to utilize the straight right?

I've picked up a bad habit of not throwing the straight right so much.
    I did some more sparring today and both trainers said I need to throw it more.

I think it's a matter of distance- I feel like I can always connect with the jab because I step forward and throw it, but with the straight right there is no forward stepping, so I tend to throw it only at short distances when I have my opponent on the ropes or something. I also usually throw it as a 1-2.

But today I was told to throw it anyway, even if I think it won't connect.

Any advice? Thanks

The jab is like a cane. It helps you find your opponent and range. Once you reach him with the jab. Then come in with the right hand. My right cross is my best punch I like to catch a guy with it when he is coming forward or when I want to set up body shots. I would recommend you throw it whenever you see an opening since you aren't used to throwing ut. Get used to throwing it a lot more. Remember to bring the shoulder up to cover your chin or you will get caught with a left hook. Step in with a jab or feint a jab and bring that right cross in BANG! Jab on out. Setting the right hand up is hard though. I emphasize finding your opponent with the jab. Jab jab jab until you can find him with your eyes closed. Good jab = good right cross.

Comment

You can step in to throw a right hand too.

One good time to use it is when your opponent is retracting his jab. If he brings his arm back slowly, or low, then throw the right hand over it at his chin.

Another time is if he is keeping a tight guard because of your jabs. Start throwing a left hook around his guard to get him to open it up more, and once he does shoot a right hand at his chin through the opening.
      Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 06-27-2016, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
        The jab is like a cane. It helps you find your opponent and range. Once you reach him with the jab. Then come in with the right hand. My right cross is my best punch I like to catch a guy with it when he is coming forward or when I want to set up body shots. I would recommend you throw it whenever you see an opening since you aren't used to throwing ut. Get used to throwing it a lot more. Remember to bring the shoulder up to cover your chin or you will get caught with a left hook. Step in with a jab or feint a jab and bring that right cross in BANG! Jab on out. Setting the right hand up is hard though. I emphasize finding your opponent with the jab. Jab jab jab until you can find him with your eyes closed. Good jab = good right cross.
        Thanks! Are you saying two things? 1. Keep throwing it to get used to it, and 2. Throw it after you've got your range with the jab?

Or are you saying to keep trying to get range with the jab and then throwing the straight right?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          You can step in to throw a right hand too.

One good time to use it is when your opponent is retracting his jab. If he brings his arm back slowly, or low, then throw the right hand over it at his chin.

Another time is if he is keeping a tight guard because of your jabs. Start throwing a left hook around his guard to get him to open it up more, and once he does shoot a right hand at his chin through the opening.
          Thanks, I'll practice stepping in with it.

Comment

Originally posted by AaronJW View Post
            Thanks! Are you saying two things? 1. Keep throwing it to get used to it, and 2. Throw it after you've got your range with the jab?

Or are you saying to keep trying to get range with the jab and then throwing the straight right?
            A little bit of both. You obviously wouldn't want to throw it where it would set you up for a big counter but definitely start throwing it more because as you said you don't throw it a whole lot. Try to set the guy up for the 1-2-3 , 2-3-2, and the ole 1-2 combinations.

What I mean is with the jab you can find your opponent with it. Think of it like this, if you have your hand holding a guys ear you could close your eyes and still hit him in the face with the right because the left hand is already there. Does that make sense? Since you can't hold on to his ear with the jab you have to make the punches sound like one as they say. For instance a 1-2 should be BAM!BAM! instead of BAM! - BAM!. A guy on this forum taught me that at least.

https://youtu.be/39VC6Gp1j0o?t=41

Watch how Tyson throws that combination. That's how your punches should flow.

So pretty much find the guy with the jab and once you feel comfortable with touching him with the jab you can throw the right hand with it. The jab is the key that opens the door. Double up and triple up the jab at times so he doesn't get your rhythm down and counter.

If you need me to explain better don't hesitate to ask I have a lot of free time when I'm not training.

Comment

Thanks, I understand! I'll ask if I have any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by AaronJW View Post
                I've picked up a bad habit of not throwing the straight right so much.
                I did some more sparring today and both trainers said I need to throw it more.

I think it's a matter of distance- I feel like I can always connect with the jab because I step forward and throw it, but with the straight right there is no forward stepping, so I tend to throw it only at short distances when I have my opponent on the ropes or something. I also usually throw it as a 1-2.

But today I was told to throw it anyway, even if I think it won't connect.

Any advice? Thanks
                Step forward with your right. Make sure you don't walk onto a shot but you step forward with your right. This can be done with or without the jab.

I think lead rights would really discombobulate your current opponent. If you practice anything, you should practice that lead right on the heavy bag, if your cold permits it

Comment

Also use your right in combination even as a lead, let it flow into other attacks. How bout a lead right..left hook to the ribs? Then pound him again with the straight right. That straight right is your bread and butter. Cultivate that.

Comment

I had been gunshy throwing the right, then I realized it's all about angle. Wheter you step a little your north west when throwing it or not (just like you do with 1-2 combo), you must be a little square to the opponent when you are throwing it, i mean step 45 and wait. And don't forget to lean your body to your left to stay out of the fire line.
                    Im able to lead with my right, hold it a lil bit low then throw.

Comment

Working...
                    X