Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They need to revise the weight classes for real.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They need to revise the weight classes for real.

Seriously they need to get rid of some and change the weights, I feel there's a lot of fighters hiding out in weight classes that should't exist in the first place. As for changing the weights for the weight classes, I think they should to keep the sport in tune with our times, the current weights are outdated.

Bantamweight - 120lbs and under
    Featherweight - 120lbs - 130lbs
    Lightweight - 130lbs - 140lbs
    Welterweight - 140lbs - 155lbs
    Middleweight - 155lbs - 170lbs
    Light Heavy - 170lbs - 190lbs
    Cruiserweight - 190lbs - 210lbs
    Heavyweight - 210lbs +

I only added Cruiserweight in there because its a strange transition zone between the LHW and Heavy.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy or does it make sense? I know the sanctioning bodies will never allow this.

I think with Lightweight and Featherweight something can be done. There's a reason why there have been so many 3-4 division Champs from 140 and under.

Comment

The smaller you are, the more difference a few pounds make. If you abolish divisions lower down, you'll see huge size disparities which will make for more unequal contests.

Comment

I agree that there are way too many divisions from 140 lbs down and a lot of big fights can't be made because of this.
        I think the weights divisions should be separated by at least 7-8 lbs increments to force fighters to be in shape and to make the best fight the best.
        Also there has to be some limit on heavyweights, i think it's bad for boxing when a casual fan turns on TV and sees 2 fat tubs of goo fighting and gassing out after 3 rounds, I think it's just very unappealing. They're supposed to be athletes, at least get in shape!

Comment

Originally posted by vorgaphe View Post
          The smaller you are, the more difference a few pounds make. If you abolish divisions lower down, you'll see huge size disparities which will make for more unequal contests.
          If all the fighters in your weight class are bigger than you and you don't have the skills to overcome this size advantage, you should just move down in weight. Fighters are athletes and they have to be in shape all year round, fighters have problems making weight cuz they enjoy themselves too much and they forget that they're athletes during layoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmed_Ismail View Post
            If all the fighters in your weight class are bigger than you and you don't have the skills to overcome this size advantage, you should just move down in weight. Fighters are athletes and they have to be in shape all year round, fighters have problems making weight cuz they enjoy themselves too much and they forget that they're athletes during layoffs.
            ^^^^^^^^^ Thisssssss

Comment

Yeah, agreed, more or less. Too many weightclasses below 140... There should be less weight classes plus some sort of rehydration limit.

Comment

Originally posted by CRM114 View Post
                Seriously they need to get rid of some and change the weights, I feel there's a lot of fighters hiding out in weight classes that should't exist in the first place. As for changing the weights for the weight classes, I think they should to keep the sport in tune with our times, the current weights are outdated.

Bantamweight - 120lbs and under
                Featherweight - 120lbs - 130lbs
                Lightweight - 130lbs - 140lbs
                Welterweight - 140lbs - 155lbs
                Middleweight - 155lbs - 170lbs
                Light Heavy - 170lbs - 190lbs
                Cruiserweight - 190lbs - 210lbs
                Heavyweight - 210lbs +

I only added Cruiserweight in there because its a strange transition zone between the LHW and Heavy.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy or does it make sense? I know the sanctioning bodies will never allow this.
                It sounds good to me. Have one title per division and we would really see some awesome fights! No more interims or super champions either. You could make a case to have flyweight as well at say 110 pounds and under.

What seems exciting to me about it is clearing the board and having tournaments for it all. Things would become super interesting then. And tournaments (like the super six) need to be done more often anyway.

Comment

I think the main problem with weight is that boxers rehydrate too much after weigh in. Someone like Canelo fighting 140 pounders would be unfair.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw93 View Post
                    I think the main problem with weight is that boxers rehydrate too much after weigh in. Someone like Canelo fighting 140 pounders would be unfair.
                    ^^^^^This.

The simpler fix, or at least more simple than changing weight classes is going back to same day weigh-ins.

That limits the ability for fighters to completely dehydrate to make weight or at the very least makes them pay the price for being dehydrated on the day of the fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X