Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Mayweather's Return Against Marquez Good Or Bad Prep For Mosley?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Mayweather's Return Against Marquez Good Or Bad Prep For Mosley?

Floyd Mayweather Jr had been retired for around 2 years before he returned in September 2009 to fight Juan Manuel Marquez. Do you think the fight against Marquez was good or bad preparation for the upcoming Shane Mosley fight?

By the May 1st date:

Mosley would have been Inactive for approximately 1 Year, 3 Months and 1 Week.

Mayweather would have been Inactive for approximately 7 Months and 2 Weeks.
    Yes - Marquez was GOOD preparation
    27.59%
    No - Marquez was BAD preparation
    34.48%
    Other/Undecided
    37.93%

The performance was impressive but I wouldn't call it good or bad preparation for Mosley as it was essentially a sparring session against a smaller fighter who fights nothing like Mosley.

Comment

I don't think it makes much of a difference. I would not call it good preperation for Mosley but it did shake off the ring rust. The only way it would be bad is if Floyd developed bad habits from the fight and it really did not seem to be the case but that is hard to tell before seeing him fight again.

Comment

It really can't be bad, he had to shake off the rust after a 2 year layoff.

I doubt it makes much difference from a stylisitic standpoint.

Comment

Im undecided. I think physically it was obviously a bad prep because Shane will be so much stronger & physically imposing that JMM. However, I still stand by the fact that I think JMM was faster than people think and his countering skills were still at a high level. I think that will prepare him for Shane. He also throws super straight punches, which alot of righties dont do anymore. Shane is 50/50. Half are wide and half are straight. Probably more like 75/25. In that regard I think JMM's straight punching prepared him well for Shane. Its hard to tell but it wont matter unless Shane comes in a just bullies Floyd all around. Then you will know that it was a bad move

Comment

Originally posted by BoxCleva View Post
            Floyd Mayweather Jr had been retired for around 2 years before he returned in September 2009 to fight Juan Manuel Marquez. Do you think the fight against Marquez was good or bad preparation for the upcoming Shane Mosley fight?

By the May 1st date:

Mosley would have been Inactive for approximately 1 Year, 3 Months and 1 Week.

Mayweather would have been Inactive for approximately 7 Months and 2 Weeks.
            I don't think so. It is just to shake off his ring rust and regain his confidence. Marquez style is very different from Mosley.

Comment

I'd say it was better than any other fighter. I mean what better way to dust off the lay off by going up against another great technical fighter.

Comment

It was bad prep for fighting Mosley, but if he wanted to see what skills he has against a lightweight, I guess the fight was useful.

Comment

I think it's a non issue. Mosley is rustier than Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                    It was bad prep for fighting Mosley, but if he wanted to see what skills he has against a lightweight, I guess the fight was useful.
                    I don't think so because the best preparation is done in the gym and Floyd spars with huge boxers when he needs to prepare for a bigger fighter. The Marquez fight just got him a good 12 rounds of moving, countering, and adjusting. What people don't realize is Floyd's footwork is going to keep him out of danger. Shane will try to corner him but he don't have the ability to cut off the ring so I really don't see this fight getting physical.

Comment

Working...
                    X