No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Robeisy Ramirez Gets Gold, Split Nod Over Shakur Stevenson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hitking View Post
    I'm not an amateur boxing fan. I score fights on clean punching, effective aggression, ring generalship, and defense. In that order. Shakur landed the cleaner punches. Ramirez's aggression was mostly ineffective. Neiter one of them dictated anything. Which probably isn't uncommon in 3rd fights. And Shakur's defense was worlds better. I know amateur scoring is different. But as a long time fight fan, I thought Shakur clearly won.
    Based on pro scoring I agree. But amateur is different. It why so may pros lost in the Olympics this year. Shakur is clearly more suited as a professional. His style while awesome for who he fought as an am, will serve him better as a pro. Ramirez while great, had to much experience and understood this better. You really can't take anything from either man.

Comment

I just dont see the argument for Stevenson based on clean punching. He probably landed at a higher % but Ramirez was putting in way more work over the fight, and land more than some are giving credit for. Throwing and landing 2 clean shots over a round is great, but if your opponent throws 60 shots, lands a few clean and gets a bunch of grazing punches in aswell, its a clear round imo.

This ultra economic style of boxing frutrates me. Stevenson needed to fight the whole fight like he did the second. He was the much fresher man having twice and much rest and half the fights, but fought like it was the other way around. Poor tactics from probably related to inexperience

Pro or Am rules i would score that for Ramirez.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
        I just dont see the argument for Stevenson based on clean punching. He probably landed at a higher % but Ramirez was putting in way more work over the fight, and land more than some are giving credit for. Throwing and landing 2 clean shots over a round is great, but if your opponent throws 60 shots, lands a few clean and gets a bunch of grazing punches in aswell, its a clear round imo.

This ultra economic style of boxing frutrates me. Stevenson needed to fight the whole fight like he did the second. He was the much fresher man having twice and much rest and half the fights, but fought like it was the other way around. Poor tactics from probably related to inexperience

Pro or Am rules i would score that for Ramirez.
        I may or may not argue for Ramirez given pro rules. At least not on a 3 round fight. Pro judges look for the more effective punches and ring generalship. The fight was close and Ramirez brought it more than Shakur. That's amateur boxing. That's why he won. He deserves it. As a pro if this fight happened, there is more to judge. Both guys have promising futures.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          I may or may not argue for Ramirez given pro rules. At least not on a 3 round fight. Pro judges look for the more effective punches and ring generalship. The fight was close and Ramirez brought it more than Shakur. That's amateur boxing. That's why he won. He deserves it. As a pro if this fight happened, there is more to judge. Both guys have promising futures.
          I just dont see how you can score ring generalmanship to the guy who is being put almost exclusively in the defensive and is being consistently backed up? In rnds 1 and 3 anyways. Ramirez was setting the pace and fighting the fight in the areas he wanted in 1 and 3. Surely that's ring generalmanship in a nutshell?

As much as Ramirez was struggling to land clean, i thought Stevenson was struggling to find any opportunity to throw at all.

Comment

I just dont see how you can score ring generalmanship to the guy who is being put almost exclusively in the defensive and is being consistently backed up? In rnds 1 and 3 anyways. Ramirez was setting the pace and fighting the fight in the areas he wanted in 1 and 3. Surely that's ring generalmanship in a nutshell?

As much as Ramirez was struggling to land clean, i thought Stevenson was struggling to find any opportunity to throw at all.
            He was to defensive to win on an amateur fight. But he also made him miss more and landed the more telling punches in my opinion. Ramirez earned his Olympic win, I just feel in a pro bout the scoring would be different.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              Based on pro scoring I agree. But amateur is different. It why so may pros lost in the Olympics this year. Shakur is clearly more suited as a professional. His style while awesome for who he fought as an am, will serve him better as a pro. Ramirez while great, had to much experience and understood this better. You really can't take anything from either man.
              ...ain't that the truth.

Comment

Shakur vs Ramirez as the first bout of the Olympics would have probably been much different as well Ramirez had just fought 12 hard fought rounds before this last 3 vs Shakur. He didn't get no passes and still had enough to beat the young Lion lets not forget.

Ramirez had to dig deep to win this. After 2014 I didn't know if his heart was in boxing anymore, but after that performance in these Olympics he convinced everyone he still wants it.

Comment

Originally posted by Juof View Post
                  Gutted for shakur been following him on instagram for a couple of years honestly thought he was destined for gold but the cuban outworked him in the third. I hope one day they meet in the pros and i get to watch 12 rounds of that technical work
                  no he didn't.

The better "work" was done by Stevenson.

Ramirez better savor the the flavor,because when they meet in the pros it will be him crying like a moron.

Shakur was definitely the stronger of the two and will have a better pro career than Ramirez.

Comment

Originally posted by ultravividscene View Post
                    Who cares if he landed or not - although i thought he did - if you rely on judges to score then all that matters is making the judges think you are landing.

It's like that old excuse of 'but i was landing the harder shots doe!' - means **** if the judges can't feel them, the shots are not hurting, damaging or stopping your opponent, and they outland* you by a significant margin.

* Or in some cases just out throw - for reasons mentioned earlier.

Basically Stevenson knew and admitted he lost and was probably better placed than an armchair fan to tell.

Woooooow

I'll tell you who cares...anybody that claims to like boxing as a sport....that's who.

Comment

I don't know what fight you were watching.

Comment

Working...
                      X