• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amir Khan "If i have to go through vargas to get Floyd, then so be it"

WBC Welterweight Title

When: 17th September Live from the MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas

What: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Victor Ortiz

Where: All on Primetime: Sky channel 480, Virgin Media ‘On Demand’ and online at www.primetimelive.co.uk

As the ‘Star Power’ Pay-Per-View draws closer we sat down with Primetime favourite and
    studio team member for Mayweather vs Ortiz, Amir Khan.

Are you looking forward to working with Andy Kerr, Steve Bunce and Duke McKenzie in the
    Primetime studio this weekend?

“Yeah it will be great fun being in the studio with all of them. I’m sure it will be an absolutely great night of boxing and hopefully us guys in the studio can give some good analysis of the night’s action!”

Floyd recently said you would have to beat Jessie Vargas to earn a fight with him, what do you think of Vargas and do you believe you would pose problems for Mayweather he hasn’t encountered yet?

I didn’t really know of Jessie Vargas until Mayweather mentioned him, but if that’s what it takes to get a fight against Mayweather then I would be up for it. I think I have the style to beat Mayweather, I’m sure he has never faced anyone as quick as me. Freddie Roach has the perfect
    game plan of how to face someone like Mayweather, who is very defensive and I know I could execute that game plan.”

Erik Morales has been touted as a possible opponent for you in December. Do you think he still has something to offer?

“Erik Morales has been a great champion – one of the legends of the sport. I think he proved in his last fight that he has enough in the tank to cause trouble to a lot of fighters and I’m sure that will be the case on Saturday night.”

Do you think Morales will win on Saturday and would you like to add another Mexican legend
    to your resume?

“I think Morales will win the fight. Lucas Matthysse would have been a tough fight for him but his new opponent Cano is unpredictable and untested.”

“I’m sure it will be a great fight nevertheless and it would be nice if I was to face the winner so I could get another world title. I’ve beaten Barrera and to beat Morales as well would be something very special.”

How did you rate ‘Canelo’ Alvarez’s fights with Matthew Hatton and Ryan Rhodes?

“Matthew and Ryan both showed tremendous heart and effort in those fights and I was backing them all the way, it’s a shame they fell just short.”

“Alvarez is a tricky fighter, with great punching power and I’m sure he has a very big future in the sport. He was just too strong for Matthew and Ryan in those fights but I’m sure they will both bounce back.”

Do you think Alvarez will retain his belt against Alfonso Gomez?

“I think Alvarez will win. Gomez will cause him problems, he did well in his fight against Jose Luis Castillo but Alvarez I believe will be too clever and strong for him.”

Does Floyd’s 18 month hiatus affect him going into the fight with Ortiz?

“I’m not sure it will. Floyd has done that before, where he takes long breaks before fights and seems to cope okay. I think because he doesn’t really blow up between fights and walks around near his fighting weight it means that when the time for training comes there is no drastic change for his body.”

“Getting older though does play some part but we’ll need to see on Saturday night how he copes against a guy like Ortiz who is 10 years younger but I’m sure he will come through.”

How highly do you rate Floyd?

“He’s a great fighter, one of the very best in the world.”

You know Ortiz well, can he pose Floyd problems?

“Ortiz can punch that’s his biggest strength, so it will be important for Floyd to avoid any traps Ortiz sets up, especially early on. He’s younger too so I’m sure he will try to pressure Floyd and hope that he can wear him down.”

How do you rate Ortiz’s performance against Berto?

“It was an excellent performance and a very exciting fight as well. I thought Ortiz was hungry and there was no way he was going to leave that ring without being the champion.”

Finally, can we get a prediction for Mayweather vs Ortiz?

“Ortiz is a great fighter, but I think that Mayweather will win this one. Early on I think Ortiz will be dangerous and will go at Mayweather but as it goes on I think Mayweather will pick him apart.
    Defensively Mayweather is very strong and I think that’s what will help him win this fight.”

for the faqqot that requests links...

http://www.primetimelive.co.uk/news/...ther-vs-ortiz/

personally i think this fight would be a waste of time, vargas is still a prospect imo, i would prefer to see khan go up to 147 after peterson.

Comment

Looks like Khan is going to fight Vargas for his Welterweight debut? No way is this @140, and it would be pointless.

Comment

Amir should ask floyd to sign a contract to fight him after he defeats floyd's dungeon boy vargas.

He mustn't take floyd's words seriously without a written guarantee.

Comment

khan....Vargas is fast and hit hard with both hands!!!

Comment

dont fall for it amir. Cotto and MARG was promised the same ****. and floyd still ducking them like there is no tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by guardian View Post
              Amir should ask floyd to sign a contract that he will fight him after he defeats floyd's dungeon boy vargas.

He mustn't take floyd's words seriously without a written guarantee.
              basically that is floyd idea

Comment

Khan, don't be an idiot. If Floyd said you had to lick Ellerbe's butt to face him, would you? Vargas is a waste of time, and there is no garauntee that cherry picking ducker will fight you afterwards. Just do your thing, beat the real guys at 147, and Floyd will fight you when he has nowhere to run.

Comment

Originally posted by skillswin View Post
                  khan....Vargas is fast and hit hard with both hands!!!
                  He is also a hugely untested prospect with only 16 pro fights, it would be a huge step up in class and one I doubt he could cope with.

This is obviously just talk from Floyd to get his fighters name out there Khan should take Mayweathers words with a pinch of salt.

Comment

Working...
                  X