Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 01-20-2019, 04:27 PM #81
BoxingScene Icon

Quoted: 4732 Post(s)
IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,099.40
Total Points: 56,998.44
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps Your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 ATG Boxingscene Poster - JohnnyRebel Im glad you learned how to use internet Grandpa - Canelo and GGG 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony342 View Post
So basically just Stevie Johnston and Antonio Margarito are the only ones Floyd missed that he easily could have made happen with no obstacles then, it sounds like. The others sound like they were stopped by politics, money disagreements or drug testing.
100%

Floyd turned down both when offered them.

Why? I don't know. He always seemed reluctant to fight Margarito.
IronDanHamza is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-20-2019, 07:45 PM #82
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
QueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,083.07
Total Points: 14,237.59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastrangelo View Post
Those 3 guys that beat him were 2 future title holders and 1 contender - and that was while Castillo was still developing and learning his craft as Julio Cesar Chavez sparring partner.
A lot of great fighters from Mexico suffered early losses. Salvador Sanchez, Chucho Castillo, Jorge Paez, Gilberto Roman - countless others. That's career path for many of them - just showed They were not good enough... before They got better.

He beat tough gate-keeper in Quinonez to get a title shot, beat outstanding Stevie Johnston to win a title - and take #1 spot in the division from him.

The success He had against the level of boxers He fought is extreme. He fought Johnston twice, Mayweather twice, Casamayor, Lazcano, Julio Diaz and Corrales twice!
Bold statement now - but it might be the toughest run any Lightweight champion had since Duran!
--- I'm talking pre Floyd were he racked up 4 Ko losses, the whole reason arum wanted him for his lightweight debut.

Already stated Castillo had a short but good run post Floyd and most agree Castillo whooped him clean the first fight.
QueensburyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:54 AM #83
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Anthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 11,859.90
Total Points: 22,840.52
Good Poster with an open mind. - Barnburner Merry Christmas Anthony! keep on postin - The Surgeon For always keeping your cool and objectivity - BKM-2010 Cheers!!!!! - Outworn 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDanHamza View Post
100%

Floyd turned down both when offered them.

Why? I don't know. He always seemed reluctant to fight Margarito.
I would guess because Margarito was 3 inches taller than him, had long arms which gave him a reach advantage and had pretty good punching power who had just beaten Cotto by TKO. I don't know about the other guy.
Anthony342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:02 AM #84
Paul Williams beat Lara

Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Mastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 16,073.68
thanks for the fight...cheers! - joe strong Knows his stuff - jas great poster - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensburyRules View Post
--- I'm talking pre Floyd were he racked up 4 Ko losses, the whole reason arum wanted him for his lightweight debut.

Already stated Castillo had a short but good run post Floyd and most agree Castillo whooped him clean the first fight.
Pre Floyd He took a belt from Stevie Johnston, who was a brilliant fighter and the men at the division - since Mosley's departure... some claim Mosley didn't want to fight Johnston by the way.

Give Floyd some credit here, He went right after the number 1 fighter in the division. Probably Castillo took his heart in a way - made him much more careful about who He was fighting after that.
Mastrangelo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:32 AM #85
BoxingScene Icon

IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps Your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 ATG Boxingscene Poster - JohnnyRebel Im glad you learned how to use internet Grandpa - Canelo and GGG 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Quote:
I would guess because Margarito was 3 inches taller than him, had long arms which gave him a reach advantage and had pretty good punching power who had just beaten Cotto by TKO. I don't know about the other guy.
It was 2006, before the Cotto fight.

My opinion is he had his eyes on Oscar a fight he was desperate for for years and didn't want to take any unnecessary risks as he was so close to it.

Just my theory.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:46 AM #86
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Anthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 11,859.90
Total Points: 22,840.52
Good Poster with an open mind. - Barnburner Merry Christmas Anthony! keep on postin - The Surgeon For always keeping your cool and objectivity - BKM-2010 Cheers!!!!! - Outworn 

Quote:
It was 2006, before the Cotto fight.

My opinion is he had his eyes on Oscar a fight he was desperate for for years and didn't want to take any unnecessary risks as he was so close to it.

Just my theory.
Oh, but wasn't Floyd also asked about Margarito in the post fight interview after the Hatton fight as well after Floyd fought Oscar?
Anthony342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:22 AM #87
BoxingScene Icon

Quote:
Oh, but wasn't Floyd also asked about Margarito in the post fight interview after the Hatton fight as well after Floyd fought Oscar?
Don't think so. Can't recall.

I just know that 2006 was when they were lined up to fight. Floyd was offered 8 million dollars and he turned it down.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:30 PM #88
Fvcking Up The Game.

Quoted: 10037 Post(s)
travestyny has a reputation beyond reputetravestyny has a reputation beyond reputetravestyny has a reputation beyond reputetravestyny has a reputation beyond reputetravestyny has a reputation beyond reputetravestyny has a reputation beyond reputetravestyny has a reputation beyond reputetravestyny has a reputation beyond reputetravestyny has a reputation beyond reputetravestyny has a reputation beyond reputetravestyny has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 50,893.63
Total Points: 69,752.21
pimping ain't easy - SugarKaineHook not sure why your original gift aint shown - SugarKaineHook The troll killer! - JK1700 Job well done! - koolkc107 Boxingscene's Best... Meant to get this to you the other day. Drinks on me - Chollo Vista 
Burger for Troubles. Good discussion... - Tony Trick-Pony Cheers, man... - Tony Trick-Pony For exposing Szef.... That was classic - Chollo Vista Toast for handing out L's - Chollo Vista 

No one was interested in Floyd vs. Margarito. Floyd said he would take it only if it guarantees fights with Hatton and Cotto, and eventually De La Hoya, and Arum said nope.

Also, HBO had stated clearly that they were not interested in that fight.
travestyny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:57 PM #89

Quoted: 3861 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,093.93
Total Points: 31,737.61
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 

Quote:
Don't think so. Can't recall.

I just know that 2006 was when they were lined up to fight. Floyd was offered 8 million dollars and he turned it down.
Likely because Goossen offered the same for Baldomir
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.
OctoberRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:12 AM #90
BoxingScene Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRed View Post
Likely because Goossen offered the same for Baldomir
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.
Little less for Baldomir I believe.

Plus, he should have taken it instead of Judah when it was offered.

Share This With Friends

Tags
beat, fighter, floyd, life, mayweather

User Tag List