Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Too Fast" Fury vs "Sonny" Liston: Who wins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liston had some of the slowest feet in Heavyweight history. He couldn't deal with Ali's speed of foot, he wouldn't deal with Fury's speed of foot. Liston also had very slow hands so he's not going to surprise Fury with fast shots the way Wilder was able to a couple of times. Fury by wide decision.
    moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid-Knee View Post
      Liston had some of the slowest feet in Heavyweight history. He couldn't deal with Ali's speed of foot, he wouldn't deal with Fury's speed of foot. Liston also had very slow hands so he's not going to surprise Fury with fast shots the way Wilder was able to a couple of times. Fury by wide decision.
      How would you know? You weren't even born then? That was way before your time kid. I am only joking. It was way before all of our time and you are right. Liston would have been too slow for the elusive Fury
      moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

liston hit like a truck and he was a hell of a lot more precise than deontay wilder. i think a lot of things favor fury, but the idea that liston doesn't have a shot when wilder had him out on the floor is crazy. liston could f#cking crack and he had a great jab. he'd put leather on fury consistently, whereas wilder just looked for one shot.

Comment

Can't believe I'm saying this but I'd probably favour Fury.

Liston is one of my all time favourites but Fury's style is bad for him.

That said, Liston did beat very good slick boxers such as Machen. Patterson wasn't slick per se but extremely fast. So you can never count him out. He has tools to combat Fury.

Very long reach and one of the great jabs in HW history

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Can't believe I'm saying this but I'd probably favour Fury.

Liston is one of my all time favourites but Fury's style is bad for him.

That said, Liston did beat very good slick boxers such as Machen. Patterson wasn't slick per se but extremely fast. So you can never count him out. He has tools to combat Fury.

Very long reach and one of the great jabs in HW history
            Good post.

It would be one heck of a fight til the end, no doubt. A chess match.

Comment

Token Tuesday bump of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                liston hit like a truck and he was a hell of a lot more precise than deontay wilder. i think a lot of things favor fury, but the idea that liston doesn't have a shot when wilder had him out on the floor is crazy. liston could f#cking crack and he had a great jab. he'd put leather on fury consistently, whereas wilder just looked for one shot.
                Would Liston be able to hurt Fury though? Would he make Fury respect him?

Comment

only fights of Liston most people have seen is the two vs Ali.. and both were fixed. so can't really gauge him off that.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_dolphin View Post
                    only fights of Liston most people have seen is the two vs Ali.. and both were fixed. so can't really gauge him off that.
                    How do you know they were fixed?

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                      Would Liston be able to hurt Fury though? Would he make Fury respect him?

he's a better offensive fighter than deontay wilder by any stretch of the imagination. this is not a heavybag.

unlike wilder.. you know... liston could box.

think about it like this:
                      steve cunningham and sonny liston weren't all that far apart in size. cunningham had modest power at CW. he put fury down very hard with a windmill and he didn't have a consistent jab to set it up.

liston is one of the very best punchers ever, you guys probably haven't seen enough of him and that's fine. he also had, without a doubt, one of th efive best jabs ever at HW. fury would only have about 2-3 inches of reach, if you can believe that. i'd expect fury to not only get hurt, but to get outjabbed

Comment

Working...
                      X