Collapse
No announcement yet.

would canelo have beaten paul williams?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes he does and honestly likely knocks Pwill out cold.

Comment

Paul Williams was the test that I wanted to see Canelo take.

Don't know why ppl are making Williams with a bad chin because of the Martinez KO

Comment

at what weight doe?

Comment

Canelo would have destroyed him. Paul Williams had Kirkland level defense with a slightly better chin. He'd get TKO'd.

Comment

This is such a tough fight to call. Williams for 99% of his career had an iron chin, so I don't think it's fair to judge him off of that Martinez shot. A punch by the way Canelo just does not throw. That was all Martinez's movement and awkward stance.

Canelo has shown the ability to counter effectively against guys like Kirkland and a smaller Cotto. That's not the same though. I'd lean Canelo by decision, only because it's pretty easy to hit Williams and Canelo is at his best when his opponent walks him down.

Comment

I'm probably the biggest Williams fan there is, but i think he would have lost a controversial decision. Although i would have truly believed that he would have been robbed of the decision. Williams didnt have the power to hurt canelo with one punch and even though Williams was taller and had a longer reach he hardly ever used those attributes to his advantage.

Comment

Williams had leaky defense and was easy to counter, Canelo would have destroyed him

Williams had some physical atributes that could trouble Canelo (the height, the reach, the volume punching) but he never learnt how to use them.

It's baffling that nobody ever taught this guy how to fight tall and throw a proper jab

Comment

At that point, yes. Williams was past his best.

Comment

Middleweight Canelo would probably beat him. 147-154 would be a different story. Canelo was young as hell at those weights. I'd put my money on Williams there.

Comment

Another thing people seem to forget was that the Punisher usually did give up height. But he was an amazing inside fighter for his size, better than Canelo. The outside and inside belonged to the Punisher. Canelo would have to work from mid-range.

Comment

Working...
                      X