Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Rigondeaux Was in Talks For WBSS, But Weight Became an Issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That sucks, because this sounds like a good opportunity for someone who has serious issues getting fights. Who knows when he'll fight again.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
      That sucks, because this sounds like a good opportunity for someone who has serious issues getting fights. Who knows when he'll fight again.
      I think Rigo’s career is effectively over. He’s old; he lost his last fight in an embarrassing and dubious manner; he’s been MIA ever since; and he’s never been a draw to begin with. It’s sad how Guillermo’s career turned out. But I have to say, he brought much of it upon himself.

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
        The muscle goes away just in weeks of no-weight training. That's my point.
        No it doesn't, Rigo boxes so he's always going to be using the muscles he has built moving up to fight Rigo. You can keep most of the gains you main in terms of muscle by eating at maintenance if you're someone like Rigo.

It is very, very difficult cut effectively at low BF% and retain any sort of strength or explosiveness especially close to 40 years old. Cutting muscle rather than fat needs to be done over a very long period of time to not affect your athletic performance massively and even then you'll still feel awful and sluggish.

Rigo cannot cut 4lbs (and it's not 4lb because he was at 126 in his last fight) and be an effective fighter at his age and BF%.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
          No it doesn't, Rigo boxes so he's always going to be using the muscles he has built moving up to fight Rigo. You can keep most of the gains you main in terms of muscle by eating at maintenance if you're someone like Rigo.

It is very, very difficult cut effectively at low BF% and retain any sort of strength or explosiveness especially close to 40 years old. Cutting muscle rather than fat needs to be done over a very long period of time to not affect your athletic performance massively and even then you'll still feel awful and sluggish.

Rigo cannot cut 4lbs (and it's not 4lb because he was at 126 in his last fight) and be an effective fighter at his age and BF%.
          No, the muscles that you gained by doing weight training go away once you stop doing it. The body adapts to the type of training you do.

Comment

Originally posted by BigZ44 View Post
            Thank god, hopefully this guy never fights again, I don't want my cause of death to be "boredom"
            or you can just not watch the fight if he does fight again. he does have fans sir!

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
              I think Rigo’s career is effectively over. He’s old; he lost his last fight in an embarrassing and dubious manner; he’s been MIA ever since; and he’s never been a draw to begin with. It’s sad how Guillermo’s career turned out. But I have to say, he brought much of it upon himself.
              It really is. I remember years ago when Frampton startied being known as the Jackal here in Belfast telling people we already had a Jackal in boxing and he was gonna be something special. Really disappointed by how his career has went. Question marks also over a bunch off featherwights and Rigo himself forever as they also ducked him in his prime then he gave everyone ammunition to say it didn't matter when he quit in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by evets View Post
                It really is. I remember years ago when Frampton startied being known as the Jackal here in Belfast telling people we already had a Jackal in boxing and he was gonna be something special. Really disappointed by how his career has went. Question marks also over a bunch off featherwights and Rigo himself forever as they also ducked him in his prime then he gave everyone ammunition to say it didn't matter when he quit in the ring.
                I thought it was pretty funny that Frampton used the same moniker, but wouldn’t fight Rigo. They should’ve had a bout to determine the true owner of the name. Lol

Rigondeaux was a special athlete, the likes of which is not often seen. But in light of everything that transpired, I have to say he didn’t have true greatness in him. If he had, things would’ve turned out differently.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                  I really hope the Loma fight is not his last fight. It would be such a sad way to end his career especially considering how talented he is. He dropped the ball in that fight, but he can still go back down to 122 and get a few nice wins to round out his career. Loma himself said Rigo is still a king of boxing.

Do you know how many more fights he has left on his contract? It's crazy how there hasn't been even one interview with him after all this time. I heard he's still going to his gym in Miami. You'd think at least one intrepid reporter would venture in for an interview.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
                    Just as some fighters can drain insane amounts, some fighters can't. 4 lbs means a lot more to tiny guys like Rigo.
                    So when Gallo Estrada went down from 112 to 108 to fight Chocolatito, it wasn't a sacrifice, it was necessary, now that someone else has to shed the same amount of weight it is a big sacrifice??? oh OK. double standard much.

Comment

Originally posted by darius45 View Post
                      I really hope the Loma fight is not his last fight. It would be such a sad way to end his career especially considering how talented he is. He dropped the ball in that fight, but he can still go back down to 122 and get a few nice wins to round out his career. Loma himself said Rigo is still a king of boxing.

Do you know how many more fights he has left on his contract? It's crazy how there hasn't been even one interview with him after all this time. I heard he's still going to his gym in Miami. You'd think at least one intrepid reporter would venture in for an interview.
                      Haven’t heard a peep. And I have “Boxeo Cubano” on Facebook. They would’ve mentioned something, anything, by now. It’s like the guy dropped off the face of the earth. This latest article came as a bit of shock to me, almost like “he’s still alive?” Lol

I don’t know what Rigo’s contract situation looks like. My guess is he might fight once or twice more against uninspiring opposition, if he still has a legal obligation, then it’ll be officially over.

Comment

Working...
                      X