No announcement yet.

Tony Tucker or Buster Douglas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
    Tucker and douglas were mentally prepared and in shape for Tyson as most of Tysons opponents were because they knew they had to be,a big misconception is everyone didn't think they would beat him...wrong ,most of his top challengers showed up at their very best including Tillis who completely changed his life style and training regimine before fighting Tyson others boasted how overatted he was ,Tillis showed up one of the only few fights he came in shape for.Its hard to say the Dougals who beat Tyson fought a relatively easy to hit Tyson ,while Tucker fought a bored Tyson but in shape Tyson......one thing you cant give someone all the time is heart,gotta go with the more consistant Tucker on this.Using Tyson as a measuring stick is one,you can also look at the big men they fought...tucker took Lewis the distance way past his prime.
    Exactly I was watching the Lewis Tucker fight last night and he was competetive with Lennox the whole fight though he did get dropped twice and didn't even have the footwork he had back in '87 against Tyson..

But, I don't think Douglas would have done nearly as well if he had fought Lewis. In retrospect, if Tyson Douglas did happen in the summer of '87 Mike doesn't lose but I think would have a few more scares than in the Tucker bout..

Furthermore, although Tucker was becoming a shell by the mid 90's I felt that he was beating Seldon and very well would have won the WBA belt had not the dr stopped it. I thought it had been a bad call although Tony's eyes were swollen.. Then Mike would have to beat Tucker again in September of '96..

Comment

I watched the Tucker vs Douglass fight a couple of months ago, I don't really agree with the usual assessment of that fight. It was an entertaining scrap with Douglass slightly ahead but clearly blowing his wad by the end. Buster may have quit but I don't think he was gonna last anymore. The lead he obtained in the fight came at a cost. Tucker proved to be the better man.

As for the Tyson fight, I believe it is more of a combo of Tyson having a severely off night and a styles issue. Prime vs prime I'd always see Tucker beating him especially if the fight is 12 rounds(I think their fight was scheduled for 10? not sure.) Tucker was a talented and gifted boxer who wasted his talents because of drug addiction. Like so many heavyweights of his time.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM-2010 View Post
        I watched the Tucker vs Douglass fight a couple of months ago, I don't really agree with the usual assessment of that fight. It was an entertaining scrap with Douglass slightly ahead but clearly blowing his wad by the end. Buster may have quit but I don't think he was gonna last anymore. The lead he obtained in the fight came at a cost. Tucker proved to be the better man.

As for the Tyson fight, I believe it is more of a combo of Tyson having a severely off night and a styles issue. Prime vs prime I'd always see Tucker beating him especially if the fight is 12 rounds(I think their fight was scheduled for 10? not sure.) Tucker was a talented and gifted boxer who wasted his talents because of drug addiction. Like so many heavyweights of his time.
        Yes, I think Tucker being a common opponent of Tyson and Douglas proves Mike was completely off his game in Tokyo.. Regardless of the Douglas team bragging that he wasn't..

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
          Exactly I was watching the Lewis Tucker fight last night and he was competetive with Lennox the whole fight though he did get dropped twice and didn't even have the footwork he had back in '87 against Tyson..

But, I don't think Douglas would have done nearly as well if he had fought Lewis. In retrospect, if Tyson Douglas did happen in the summer of '87 Mike doesn't lose but I think would have a few more scares than in the Tucker bout..

Furthermore, although Tucker was becoming a shell by the mid 90's I felt that he was beating Seldon and very well would have won the WBA belt had not the dr stopped it. I thought it had been a bad call although Tony's eyes were swollen.. Then Mike would have to beat Tucker again in September of '96..
          Well unfortunaly non biased break downs are far and few between here,this is why I stay in the fantasy match ups you don't get ridiculed for stating the obvious......ones with actual credibility to add.you have clowns who cry about what doesn't fit their non logic and in box threats....oh well.....
          Last edited by juggernaut666; 04-28-2015, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
            Yes, I think Tucker being a common opponent of Tyson and Douglas proves Mike was completely off his game in Tokyo.. Regardless of the Douglas team bragging that he wasn't..
            That was one of Tyson's very best performances too imo. Very disciplined and great conditioning. 12 rounds of using his jab and not getting frustrated over a moving opponent with good defense etc. That version of Tyson against Douglass in Tokyo could have been amazing.

Comment

Styles make matchups,,, and douglas's style was effective vs tucker, but overall I think tucker was better vs other fighters... Kinda like how mayorga had the style to beat forrest, but forrest was clearly a better fighter in totality

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                Styles make matchups,,, and douglas's style was effective vs tucker, but overall I think tucker was better vs other fighters... Kinda like how mayorga had the style to beat forrest, but forrest was clearly a better fighter in totality
                Good point.. Tony Tucker>James Douglas

Comment

Probably Tony, though Buster wasn't no slouch. I remember Tony as being one of Tomorrow's Champions with Mitch Green, Alex Ramos, Davey Moore, and Tony Ayala Jr. back in the day.

Comment

Working...
                  X