No announcement yet.

Ex smoker getting back to boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bj1234 View Post
    Im 17 years old 182 cm,64 kg,i had a calf injury due to too much rope jumping.
    I’m maintaining a decent level of physical activity with the jumping rope i can do 5 mins on it without getting tired
    I would try to raise your limit a little bit on any cardio type exercise, to 6 mins, 10 mins, 15 mins.

Comment

You're pretty young and light for your size so i don't think that running is actually that dangerous for you as long as you run with right technique. Meaning that you just don't heelstrike on your step or that your legs don't pronate or supinate.
      Running is very good for your aerobic threshold but you can cycle, jump rope, swim or anything like that too keeping the exercises ''light'' and long enough. So your heart rate should stay at around 80-140 bpm through out the whole exercise. You should feel like you could keep going with the pace for a long time and a good indicator is that if your going out of breath so bad that you can't really speak then your going too fast. You should do at least one exercise like this a week that takes around 30-60 minutes. You can gradually increase the duration of the exercise and amount of exercise. And when you feel like your aerobic threshold is getting good you can start adding interval and hi-intensity training for your anaerobic threshold and maximum endurance.

You will never fully recover the damage that you have done for your lungs but you can get them working more efficiently and somewhat their capacity will start growing with training and you will start feeling better once you have smoking out of your system.

Comment

If running was the best way to get in to shape for boxing then why aren't any marathon runners fighters? The best way to get in to shape for boxing is by simply boxing/sparring. Push yourself to your limits and then some.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
          If running was the best way to get in to shape for boxing then why aren't any marathon runners fighters? The best way to get in to shape for boxing is by simply boxing/sparring. Push yourself to your limits and then some.
          I think a lot of boxers don't run enough. It seems like very few guys can go at a high pace for 12 rounds and years ago you would see crazy paced fights for 15 rounds and above.

Comment

I say get out and do something moderate but do it consistently. Give your body time to adjust. Your muscles, ligaments, etc. need time to get used to what you are doing. If you try to get it all back in a short period of time you are setting yourself up for shin splints, other injury, or whatever.

Consistency.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
              Because they're půssies and not cut from the same cloth which is why they run and not fight. Being a Boxer is a very special thing.

Running is the best way for having good wind. Believe it or not, squats are good too.

Sparring too much is bad and just Boxing won't do it either. You need to run a certain amout of miles with a certain amout of pace (intervals, etc) to push into those new markets.

Comment

try sprints. or interval running. go 30 seconds full speed then take 2 minutes to recover by walking. jog one minute then go full speed for 30 seconds.. switch it up.

Comment

Originally posted by DINAMITA2 View Post
                  try sprints. or interval running. go 30 seconds full speed then take 2 minutes to recover by walking. jog one minute then go full speed for 30 seconds.. switch it up.
                  Ive been doing that as of late and it really works.

Comment

Working...
                  X