Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has the World Grown Too Soft For Boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

people just dont apreacate the sweat sience ,,>>> a lot of the brawler fans dont like it when they fighter gets schooled,,,,

the aim of the game is to HIT and NOT GET HIT<<<<<<<<<<=

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
      This is why I appreciated Sweetpea. Yes he was a defensive fighter but an entertaining one. He would make you miss all the while standing right in front of you. He didnt need to run around the ring or grab on to you for dear life to avoid punishment.
      That's true. I wish he hit harder and went for more knockouts, but he did not run across the ring like a girl. He could make people miss just fine up close. Those are true skills.

Comment

Interesting idea for a thread.

Boxing, to me anyway, has always seemed a barbaric and uncivilised sport, maybe that's why we find it so appealing. It's an escape to a place where we shouldn't go.

A truly civilised society would not tolerate and should not tolerate a sport where a person can be legally killed, just for the amusement of a few people and for millions of dollars. I know I'm a hypocrite for saying this but that's the dichotomous relationship I have with this sport.

I remember my first ever sparring session, when I jabbed the other kid and his nose bled like a fountain. I hated it. I hated it every time I sparred or boxed but I kept on winning and a deep, dark part of me liked seeing my opponents retreat. To make a fellow man retreat because you are physically better than him is a primal, uncivilised urge but one that feels so good. Yet, I hated it.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
          Interesting idea for a thread.

Boxing, to me anyway, has always seemed a barbaric and uncivilised sport, maybe that's why we find it so appealing. It's an escape to a place where we shouldn't go.

A truly civilised society would not tolerate and should not tolerate a sport where a person can be legally killed, just for the amusement of a few people and for millions of dollars. I know I'm a hypocrite for saying this but that's the dichotomous relationship I have with this sport.

I remember my first ever sparring session, when I jabbed the other kid and his nose bled like a fountain. I hated it. I hated it every time I sparred or boxed but I kept on winning and a deep, dark part of me liked seeing my opponents retreat. To make a fellow man retreat because you are physically better than him is a primal, uncivilised urge but one that feels so good. Yet, I hated it.
          It has never been for the faint of heart for sure and the terrible injuries that can happen are awful for sure. Of course, this is life, though. It is never truly safe.

I think you also have to consider that these are not the days of the Roman Empire where people were literally killed purely for entertainment on a regular basis. Boxing has had its tragedies, but nothing compared to those Roman days.

I am a fan of aggressive fighters who come to the ring to bring the action and entertain the crowd. However, I want them to use defense of course and put on skillful displays, not head-butting contests to see who is more ignorant. I am a boxing fan and I do like to see great exchanges and knockouts. But one-sided beatings? Definitely not. When a guy is no longer in the fight, bring in the towel. It's over.

Comment

Working...
          X