No announcement yet.

Top 5 P4P: Champions Faced

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 P4P: Champions Faced

So, I wondered how the current top 5, p4p, according to The Ring (for the sake of argument) fared in their 10 most recent fights. I think 10 fights is a large enough sample size for guys fighting at the highest level and should span between 3-5 years.

Specifically, I was looking at who in the top 5 had faced the most current or past champions. I regarded anyone holding one of the four organisational belts (WBA/WBC/IFB/WBO) as a legitimate champion.

I will then work out how many years it took for said fighter to complete 10 fights, thus working out the champions faced/year. Just a little exercise in quality.

So the top 5, according to the Ring is:

1. Roman Gonzalez
    2. Sergey Kovalev
    3. Gennady Golovkin
    4. Andre Ward
    5. Terence Crawford

Roman Gonzalez: 4 past or current world champions faced and beaten. Over a span of 3 years, that's a champions/year ratio of: 1.3

Sergey Kovalev: 3 past or current world champions faced and beaten. Over a span of 3 years, that's a champions/year ratio of: 1

Gennady Golovkin: 3 past or current world champions faced and beaten. Over a span of 3 years, that's a champions/year ratio of: 1

Andre Ward: 5 past or current world champions faced and beaten. Over a span of 7 years, that's a champions/year ratio of: 0.7

Terence Crawford: 3 past or current world champions faced and beaten. Over a span of 3 years, that's a championship/year ratio of: 1.

So, in terms of quality opposition faced, in the sense of fighting world champions, Gonzalez comes out on top...just. This is really sad going, with barely one world champion faced per year, in an era of 4-6 so called champions per division. Ward's ratio is simply horrendous.

Crawford, being at this level for a relatively short span is ok, as is Kovalev. They still need to up the ante.

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
    So, I wondered how the current top 5, p4p, according to The Ring (for the sake of argument) fared in their 10 most recent fights. I think 10 fights is a large enough sample size for guys fighting at the highest level and should span between 3-5 years.

Specifically, I was looking at who in the top 5 had faced the most current or past champions. I regarded anyone holding one of the four organisational belts (WBA/WBC/IFB/WBO) as a legitimate champion.

I will then work out how many years it took for said fighter to complete 10 fights, thus working out the champions faced/year. Just a little exercise in quality.

1. Roman Gonzalez
    2. Sergey Kovalev
    3. Gennady Golovkin
    4. Andre Ward
    5. Terence Crawford

Roman Gonzalez: 4 past or current world champions faced and beaten. Over a span of 3 years, that's a champions/year ratio of: 1.3

Sergey Kovalev: 3 past or current world champions faced and beaten. Over a span of 3 years, that's a champions/year ratio of: 1

Gennady Golovkin: 3 past or current world champions faced and beaten. Over a span of 3 years, that's a champions/year ratio of: 1

Andre Ward: 5 past or current world champions faced and beaten. Over a span of 7 years, that's a champions/year ratio of: 0.7

Terence Crawford: 3 past or current world champions faced and beaten. Over a span of 3 years, that's a championship/year ratio of: 1.

So, in terms of quality opposition faced, in the sense of fighting world champions, Gonzalez comes out on top...just. This is really sad going, with barely one world champion faced per year, in an era of 4-6 so called champions per division. Ward's ratio is simply horrendous.

Crawford, being at this level for a relatively short span is ok, as is Kovalev. They still need to up the ante.
    Champs are not best oposition sometimes in our times,it doesnt matter,People have obsesion on this champs now,Real puglist is talking only like that"but but he beated more world champs" well if Berto is champ then ok lul,is Sulivan Barrera worst fighter then Berto?Statistics dont work in boxing.

But if you are reffering to Problem of makeing fights you are right its sad.

From top 10 P4P Canelo Beated most champs 9 i think its 9 but maybe more.

Comment

RG should have three champs since 2013 . Arroyo was clearly robbed in Thialand that's why I emphasize on context over records at flyweight : Yagashi - lineal , Arroyo ( should of been IBF champ at 112 ) , and Cuadras who In my opinion was #1. @115...not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post

1. Roman Gonzalez
        2. Sergey Kovalev
        3. Gennady Golovkin
        4. Andre Ward
        5. Terence Crawford

So Ward has fought more World Champions than any of the other in his last 10 fights and is about to fight another who is also a top P4P fighter.

Comment

"I regard anyone holding one of the four organisational belts as a legitimate champion."

That would be your first mistake.

Comment

GGG might jump to 2 in his next fight if he fights Saunders or Jacobs next.

Comment

Originally posted by The Smash View Post
              "I regard anyone holding one of the four organisational belts as a legitimate champion."

lol @ your sig & avatar.

its been 4 years, let it go boy.
              Last edited by Omair; 10-13-2016, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Lomachenko top p4p yaaaaaaay boi

Comment

broner should be #1

Comment

Originally posted by The Smash View Post

You have to understand, this is in regards to the statistical study I was doing.

Comment

Working...
                    X