Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do many (not all) people consider Earnie Shavers the hardest puncher of all time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
    This is correct, Tyson merely repeated the typical KO stats for all boxers ie the left hook is far more likely to be a KO punch than any right hand punch. But Tyson had a stronger right than he did a left its just harder to connect for everyone. He still connected and did massive damage with it, if anyone thinks ANY of Tysons punches were weak or not balanced with the rest of his punches they are flat out wrong, Tyson had it all in that department.

Hes not like Fraizer Tua, or Morrison, ie a 1 handed puncher. Hes very much a 2 handed puncher.
    Tua and Morrison were never 1 handed fighters. they both scored knockouts and hurt men with their right hands consistently. ofc their left hooks were great too but their rights were not to be slept on. frazier's right also wasn't completely useless either

Comment

Originally posted by young_robbed View Post
      Tua and Morrison were never 1 handed fighters. they both scored knockouts and hurt men with their right hands consistently. ofc their left hooks were great too but their rights were not to be slept on. frazier's right also wasn't completely useless either
      I disagree Tuas right only fired properly on occasions it was often weaker that it should be, fraizers was pathetic due to a broken hand, and I may have got Morrison wrong so I will replace him with cooney instead.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
        I disagree Tuas right only fired properly on occasions it was often weaker that it should be, fraizers was pathetic due to a broken hand, and I may have got Morrison wrong so I will replace him with cooney instead.
        You are talking rubbish claiming Frazier's right hand was pathetic. i suggest you watch "The Thrilla in Manilla" and Frazier vs Quarry (1) Joe Frazier's right hand was destructive.

Comment

Those that fought Shavers and Foreman claim Earnie hit harder. George is universally considered top 2 hardest punchers ever. This puts Shavers power rating at a very high level.

Comment

Originally posted by jiopsi View Post
            There's no logic in listening the legends, it's just that, listening legends like I said, they can say what ever they want, and the sample isn't very accurate.

Ali said Shavers hit hardest, so what he didn't fight Tyson so what does that tell? Holmes said? Shavers hit hardest, yet Shavers couldn't KO Holmes in two fights, when Tyson was only one to KO him, and in style, which could be translated on downplaying Tyson's performance and highlighting own.

That's why legends usually are full of bull**** because they usually just try to keep the legend alive.
            "Ali argument doesn't count because he didn't fought Tyson", Holmes fought Tyson: "Holmes argument doesn't counts because he didn't beat Tyson".
            Then who's argument counts?, yours?.
            Also you can add James Tillis to that list, he also calls Shavers the hardest puncher ever.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
              Rounds only are a part of the equation...one has to look at quality of opponents and if the fighter is deliberately going for the knock out,guys like Lewis/klitchko and Bowe weren't fast starters...I think the way Shavers punches makes it look more drastic...but no doubt Tyson /Klitchko and Lewis all hit harder.They have more one punch k.o ability with better quality fighters.shavers was known to try and finiosh opponets in the first round,where Tyson ironically went for the k.o if he saw the opening,more evidence where he was just a superior puncher.
              They have more ko's over good opposition because the knockout is not about power, is about technique, accuracy, timing and speed, they may have been BETTER punchers than Shavers, but doesn't means that they were HARDER punchers.

Comment

Shavers was one of the hardest hitters ever but there are others whom could demolish opponents , guys I would prefer to punch like, Dempsey, Louis, Marciano, Tyson, bear, some others

Comment

Most of the greats who fought him confirmed that Shavers possessed the hardest single right hand punch they'd ever encountered.. Holmes, Ali & Lyle in particular., But Tex Cobb didn't bat an eyelid

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                    Most of the greats who fought him confirmed that Shavers possessed the hardest single right hand punch they'd ever encountered.. Holmes, Ali & Lyle in particular., But Tex Cobb didn't bat an eyelid
                    One of the greatest chins of all-time.

Comment

Its been exposed years ago in 80s that he wasn't the hardest hitter to keep believing he was from outdated quotes is odd and crazy mutiple hit harder

Comment

Working...
                      X