Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were a trainer, how do you train your fighter to beat Mayweather?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two type of fighters would have the best chance I think. A Vernon Forrest type of fighter. Someone tall with a good jab and a great right hand behind the jab. Oscar had a great jab but too one dimenstional. Oscar had no right hand what so ever so Floyd was able to nuetralize his jab.

Or you need a pressure fighter who can box. What I like to call the Arron Pryor type. You need to have the stamina to throw punches in bunches and cut off the ring. You need to be able to slip Floyds straight right hand while landing your own power shots. Cotto was able to aply pressure but he had to sacrfice his offense in order to get into position. Cotto kept his hands up and blocked most of Floyds power shots (Floyd only landing 30 something percent of his punches). But when you have your hand up you cant get your own punches (Floyd throwing almost 200 more punches than Cotto).

Comment

Originally posted by djeffectz View Post
      After watching his past fight, he look unbeatable, he's a type of fighter that can adjust to any fighter style, major kudos to him not having to watch his past opponent fights...

If i was a trainer I would train my fighter to add pressure and attack the body and throw the right hook to get past the shoulder roll, throw lots of combination.
      Based on the Cotto fight? That's the most vulnerable he's looked in years.

The right hook to the body would be a good weapon against Floyd, as well as the jab of course. I'd make my fighter watch Leonard/Mayweather Sr over and over again to understand how to pick the shoulder roll defense apart. Of course understanding and executing are two different things.

Comment

There is no way to win.

Comment

shoot... throw a guy in there like Rocky Balboa, honestly at that weight. this might not exist but this is how i think a person would beat mayweather. just get in there at get nasty with him throw him to the ropes have a huge heart and an amazing chin(idk if rocky had an amazing chin since he was always getting KD)lol

Comment

I think there is a couple of different ways to beat him. First and foremost you have to be a special fighter, and quite frankly Floyd has never really fought one, apart from Oscar, and Mosley, but both were past there best. Marquez is a special fighter but was too small.

I think the most sure fire way is beating him with length, speed, and a jab. The fighters in his era capable of pulling that off in my eyes would have been prime Oscar and Forrest. Winky Wright also, but he is such a big guy that for me that is not as relevant.

It would take nothing short of a really special fighter though, or someone who is a very good fighter with a big size advantage.

In my eyes Castillo beat him, and even in the second fight gave him a lot of trouble, but Castillo was an incredibly smart pressure fighter. It shows that there is always a guy out there who can have your number. I would have loved to have seen how Floyd would have handled someone like Margarito, he was more basic than Castillo, but much bigger, Margarito could stick that jab in his face from a long way out. His pressure is very intense, and coming from a much taller guy, that is difficult to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
              Depends on the fighter you're training doesn't it.

If it's Manny Pacquiao, you need to get FMJ into the ring first!
              I think you have it backwards there chief...

Anyone that knows ANYTHING about boxing knows Bob Arum doesn't want the fight. Just like he didn't want the Mayweather Del La Hoya fight years ago...

Floyd has nothing to do with it chief, unless of course your talking about ruining Hatton's career. Then you would have a point.

Point being, like i said years ago, when Bob Arum is ready he WILL make the fight. Just like he's been making fights the past few decades.

Comment

Size and power beats Floyd. Someone who can take his punches and walk him down with a major size and power advantage. Which is nobody fighting at or under 154.

Comment

Originally posted by larryx2012 View Post
                  not true that crouch can lead to a lead right aswell..and that lean forward can be a leaping left hook...he is unpredictable
                  That's not true you can tell which punch he's honna throw from how he angles his body if he keeps it at a angle hes leaping forward for the left hook that way he can slide to the side.

If he squared up he's throwing a lead right hand.

Comment

Originally posted by MRBOOMER View Post
                    That's not true you can tell which punch he's honna throw from how he angles his body if he keeps it at a angle hes leaping forward for the left hook that way he can slide to the side.

If he squared up he's throwing a lead right hand.
                    So let's say he is squared up for a lead right, what exactly do you do, step by step?

Comment

Jab, pressure, over hand right, right hook. Chavez Jr?

Comment

Working...
                      X