No announcement yet.

straw weight to junior lightweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxer Q21 View Post
    You can gain/lose 3 pounds in a week, its impressive when someone like pac goes from 106 to 147 but when someone goes from 122 to 126 thats like nothing
    but remember they're cutting weight.

a 130 guy will usually be 140-145 in the ring.

now if he comes in at 140 at 135 and he goes up against a 135 guy who is in the ring at 150 he is at a big size disadvantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
      but remember they're cutting weight.

a 130 guy will usually be 140-145 in the ring.

now if he comes in at 140 at 135 and he goes up against a 135 guy who is in the ring at 150 he is at a big size disadvantage.
      you lost me lol

Comment

Anything below 122, and 3 to 4 pounds makes a difference. Think of it this way;

At 168, if you lose 10% of your body weight, you'd lose 16.8 pounds. Whereas, if you're 122, and lose 10%, you'd loose 12.2 pounds. Quite a bit of a difference in these weight classes.

As you go up passed 168 or so, it matters slightly less and as you go further below 122, it matters even more.

It's not about pounds, it's about the percentage of your weight that you're actually gaining or losing.

Point is, you have to lose less in the smaller weight classes to lose the same amount, percentage-wise, in terms of your overall body weight.

Comment

Originally posted by ..Calderon... View Post
          Anything below 122, and 3 to 4 pounds makes a difference. Think of it this way;

At 168, if you lose 10% of your body weight, you'd lose 16.8 pounds. Whereas, if you're 122, and lose 10%, you'd loose 12.2 pounds. Quite a bit of a difference in these weight classes.

As you go up passed 168 or so, it matters slightly less and as you go further below 122, it matters even more.

It's not about pounds, it's about the percentage of your weight that you're actually gaining or losing.

Point is, you have to lose less in the smaller weight classes to lose the same amount, percentage-wise, in terms of your overall body weight.
          i understand that and all but what iam trying to say is regardless of the percentage 3 or 4 pounds is a very manageable amount of weight to work with... did u ever wonder why these small fighters bounce up and down through these divisions and the big guys barely ever do it.

I get that it makes a bigger impact on the little guys but there is so much division hopping that it would make more sense to eliminate some of the divisions and make it a little more centralized.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer Q21 View Post
            i understand that and all but what iam trying to say is regardless of the percentage 3 or 4 pounds is a very manageable amount of weight to work with... did u ever wonder why these small fighters bounce up and down through these divisions and the big guys barely ever do it.

I get that it makes a bigger impact on the little guys but there is so much division hopping that it would make more sense to eliminate some of the divisions and make it a little more centralized.
            However, the problem with that idea is that fighters like Ivan Calderon would be knocked around. Even with his tremendous skill-set, he's just a smaller guy. The highest he could go would be 112, and he'd be a small 112. He's too great a talent to be margainalized simply because it reduces the weight divisions.

Comment

Originally posted by ..Calderon... View Post
              However, the problem with that idea is that fighters like Ivan Calderon would be knocked around. Even with his tremendous skill-set, he's just a smaller guy. The highest he could go would be 112, and he'd be a small 112. He's too great a talent to be margainalized simply because it reduces the weight divisions.
              honestly though if boxing ever were to do something like this they would have no regard for the boxers and just for the state of boxing. And in my opinion, i may sound like an *******, being the best at like 102 or even 112 for that matter is like being the smartest kid with down syndrome

Comment

Working...
              X