Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo: Golovkin is Asking For More Than He Deserves!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by steeve steel View Post
    You forgot revenues at the gate and endorsments...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...ew-income.html

Check these numbers then bring them down to levels of 1 million buys

Plus your mother called: she says she didn't raise you this way...
    Check our fact that $15,000,000 is 3x bigger than ANY other offer GGG has EVER got or ever WILL once this fight doesn't get made. I bet yoy 10K without Cano GGG won't ever get that in a fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
      If it's fake, how come nobody on the other side has denied it?
      So let's throw logic out of the window then. K2 hasn't responded to the rumours (after all, they've got all the time in the world to do that, it's not like they have a PPV card coming up or something...) so the offer that doesn't make sense, is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
        How much money do you think this fight will generate? To put this in perspective, Canelo got $5 million plus 25% of the upside versus Cotto. You think he ended up getting more than $15 million give or take a few?

I think people are delusional on how big this fight will be.
        Do you have a source on that 25%? My understanding was that Cotto got higher (15m) guarantee in return for lower PPV split. I seriously doubt it was a full 75/25 split across the board.

Since you mentioned it, let's assume this fight does as well as Cotto/Canelo, so:
        900k * 70 = 63M, networks take 40% or something like that? Let's even say 50%, so ~$32M for purses + $7M gate + ~$5M promotions (dunno, just guessing) = ~$45m for fighters, in which case the 15M flat becomes a 33/67 split.

Basically the only way Golovkin comes out "ahead" with that 15M guarantee is if the fight does 500K PPVs or less. If it lives up to its expectations and is marketed properly, this fight should easily eclipse a million buys.

If the fight does not sell well, then asking for a PPV split instead of a high guarantee will work against Golovkin - both him and his team understand that and that's a risk they're willing to take.

Comment

• Originally posted by rrayvez View Post
          I still think Canelo vs ggg does around 1 mil in buys which is more than Canelo will do with anyone else available to him. Can you recall any fight with this type of demand from the boxing public that can potentially do around 1 mil in ppv where 1 guy didn't get any ppv cut? Ever?
          Will have to agree to disagree; I doubt the fight ends up even passing 800k PPV buys.

Mayweather vs Marquez/Mosley/Ortiz/Guerrero were all events that did 1m PPV buys and neither of the four ended up getting any upside share on the event. Pacquiao-Margarito did over 1m and there's no doubt that he saw no upside either. Bruce Seldon, Frank Bruno, and Peter McNeeley likely didn't get any upside in their fights against Tyson either.

No need to be shocked, imo

Comment

• Originally posted by rrayvez View Post
            Canelo's last ppv sold 290 k, a fight with ggg will do around a mil, but ggg doesn't deserve a ppv cut? Ggg should just call the bluff, take the flat fee but refuse to do any press, promotion, or any 24/7 for the fight since they don't believe his name adds to the ppv sales.
            Sensible post, agree to the money and KO Canelo. And like you said do nothing to promote the fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by j0zef View Post
              Do you have a source on that 25%? My understanding was that Cotto got higher (15m) guarantee in return for lower PPV split. I seriously doubt it was a full 75/25 split across the board.

Since you mentioned it, let's assume this fight does as well as Cotto/Canelo, so:
              900k * 70 = 63M, networks take 40% or something like that? Let's even say 50%, so ~$32M for purses + $7M gate + ~$5M promotions (dunno, just guessing) = ~$45m for fighters, in which case the 15M flat becomes a 33/67 split.

Basically the only way Golovkin comes out "ahead" with that 15M guarantee is if the fight does 500K PPVs or less. If it lives up to its expectations and is marketed properly, this fight should easily eclipse a million buys.

If the fight does not sell well, then asking for a PPV split instead of a high guarantee will work against Golovkin - both him and his team understand that and that's a risk they're willing to take.
              We on the same page. We just disagree on the numbers. I don't feel this fight exceeds 1 million.

Comment

• Originally posted by j0zef View Post

He's wrong. It was 55/45 in upside for Cotto. When he vacated GBP tried to recoup 5%, saying Cotto got A side split only cause he was the champ

Comment

• what does that fight have to do with this?.. golovkin isnt getting nor does he deserve 30 fukin million vs canelo

Comment

• You know Canelo is taking this big weight jump gamble with Chavez because it will generate a million PPV buys. Then Canelo will say "my PPV did a million buys and your Jacobs PPV only generated (fill in number)". There is no question Canelo has a dance partner on a mexican holiday who just so happens to be mexican. GGG is just not going to have the leverage in these negotiations. If the fight gets made, Golovkin is probably going to have to take less than he deserves. Either that or continue to build up his status and following but that is a double edged sword because time isn't on his side. Canelo is young and has all the time in the world to make this fight. GGG is the one that will be moving further and further away from his prime the longer this takes to get made. I sure hope this fight gets made in September because I think we have been waiting long enough. If they continue to build this then the fight might generate more PPV but the reason I want to see this now is because this fight is must see RIGHT NOW. In two years the in ring product will be significantly diminished. We learned that and most already knew that would be the case with Mayweather-Pacquiao. This fight needs to bring people back to boxing by producing a big drama show action fight in September! Enough is enough, get the fight made!

Comment

• Originally posted by petegrif View Post
                      It's a negotiation being conducted in public.

It isn't going to end up as $15m unless Canelo doesn't want the fight and needs an excuse.

There are VERY few fights Canelo can make that will net him anything like the money he will get fighting GGG. Canelo is the A side for sure but GGG is a major B side who will be adding massively to the numbers. He should be treated with respect. Golden Boy know this. And of course, things will be still clearer after the next fights.
                      Alvarez vs Cotto II, vs ChavezJr II and vs Ramirez, right now, all bring more money to Alvarez than a Golovkin fight, and that's without much thought.

Golovkin's financial strength has been so drastically overstated on this site (and others) that it's hilarious.

Comment

Working...
                      X