Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "El Radar" Wilfred Benítez in really bad shape

https://www.elnuevodia.com/deportes/...edica-2425769/

(Google translated)
    Carolina - Former Puerto Rican world champion Wilfred Benitez was discharged this Friday at the Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport by a couple of former Puerto Rican ex-monarchs and members of the press, before boarding a plane with his sister Yvonne and her husband, heading for the city ​​of Chicago.

Benitez, whose health has deteriorated over the years after the diagnosis of post-traumatic encephalopathy performed by doctors shortly after his retirement in 1990, had been bedridden between the hospital and the house under the care of his sister Yvonne.

This, with the help of Luis Mateo, a Puerto Rican resident in Chicago who was Benitez's glove partner more than three decades ago, chose to take the triple world champion to the City of Winds, where he is expected to receive medical attention required by the multiple health conditions that have come over the years, as well as physical and speech therapies.

Benítez reigned in three divisions since he made history in boxing as the youngest fighter to be crowned world champion (at 17 years, five months and 24 days) on March 6, 1973 at the Hiram Bithorn Stadium in San Juan, dethroning until then the superligero monarch of the WBA, the Colombian Antonio Cervantes, "Kid Pambelé".

"He is going to have service in a hospital that is across the street from where we are going to live. Eventually when we get there, tomorrow we will do a stagecoach and on Monday you will be seeing the assigned doctor, Dr. Solis, "said Yvonne, who took care of her brother full time as soon as his mother died in 2008, Mrs. Clara Rosa Medina.

Wilfred arrived at the airport in an ambulance since he had been bedridden for a few years and would travel by stretcher to Chicago.

"We're going to be taking him and bringing him from the hospital. He will be at home as long as he does not decay, "Yvonne added.

The sister of the former world natural champion of Saint Just in Carolina, said that the move to the United States was something he was looking for a few years ago and began efforts to move with Wilfred to Philadelphia, Delaware and Miami. On all three occasions he received promises that were never fulfilled until Mateo, along with other relatives, such as David Díaz and the two-time heavyweight contender, Fres Oquendo, visited the family at the end of 2017.

Mateo, on behalf of the American Boxing Organization (ABO), a boxing organization that also runs charity works, came on several occasions last year with help collected in Chicago for the victims of the island by Hurricane Maria. On one of his trips, he asked about Benitez's condition and asked to see him.

It was his reunion with Wilfred since the 80s.

"I was his flat 35 years ago. When he fought with Durán (Roberto) I was the one who helped him, "recalled Mateo, who also said that Benítez, by way of thanks for the help in the training, took him to a store and bought him About $ 900 in clothes.

"I never forgot that. We came with the ABO, which is a Mexican organization, in Chicago. They gathered everything to help. Nine trailers met in Chicago to bring aid to Puerto Rico. And the last time we came, I said, 'I have to go see Benitez'. Iván Calderón told me it was wrong, and I said I had to go see him. When I saw him I started crying and I said, 'I'm going to take him away,' "he added.

Among the fighters present at the farewell at the airport were, in addition to Oquendo, former world champions Juan Laporte and Juanma López.

"It's a very sad situation, because blessed, we know what he was like, and seeing him in this condition is sad. But that it is for the best good of him and that wherever they take him, they attend to him in the way that is due, "said Laporte, who was a contemporary with Benítez in his time as active boxers.

Lopez, meanwhile, who was born in 1983 at the time of Benítez's heyday, said he knows Wilfred's sister and recognizes the courage of the former champion for the history of boxing.

In that sense he felt the need to give his emotional support and attended the farewell today.

"If boxing were a building, Wilfred Benítez is one of its most important pillars, not only in Puerto Rico, but in the world," Lopez acknowledged, extolling super-bantamweight and pen.

Jesus ****ing Christ. That's depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
      Jesus ****ing Christ. That's depressing.
      Yeah man. I'm not schooled enough on "El Radar" but its sad to look at a human that way. Hopefully he can get well how little it may be before he found peace.

Comment

Honestly I had no idea he was even still alive. Sugar Ray Leonard mentioned meeting him again at the back end of his autobiography (which itself came out a while ago now, I think it was like 2011) and he was in a really bad way even then. This can be such a cruel sport, doubly so when you consider that Benitez was actually famed for being very defensively sound and not getting hit.

Comment

enitez's career went downwards after the fight with Hearns, as did his lifestyle. In 1983 he lost a unanimous decision to Mustafa Hamsho. In 1984, he tried a comeback under the hand of Yamil Chade, but this proved unsuccessful. On November 28, 1986, with his health declining, he went to Salta, Argentina to fight middleweight Carlos Herrera. Benitez was stopped in seven rounds. But to make matters worse, his money for the fight was stolen by the promoter, along with his documents and passport, and he was stranded in Argentina for a year. After much government huddling and talks, he was finally able to fly back home to Puerto Rico in 1988.

Two years later, Benitez moved to Tucson, Arizona, where he tried another comeback under the tutelage of Emanuel Steward, the Kronk trainer. This also proved unsuccessful, as he went 2-2 in his last four fights. His last bout took place in Winnipeg, Canada on September 18, 1990, six days after his 32nd birthday. He lost a ten-round decision against Scott Papasadora.

This is the ugly side of boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinnykin View Post
            enitez's career went downwards after the fight with Hearns, as did his lifestyle. In 1983 he lost a unanimous decision to Mustafa Hamsho. In 1984, he tried a comeback under the hand of Yamil Chade, but this proved unsuccessful. On November 28, 1986, with his health declining, he went to Salta, Argentina to fight middleweight Carlos Herrera. Benitez was stopped in seven rounds. But to make matters worse, his money for the fight was stolen by the promoter, along with his documents and passport, and he was stranded in Argentina for a year. After much government huddling and talks, he was finally able to fly back home to Puerto Rico in 1988.

Two years later, Benitez moved to Tucson, Arizona, where he tried another comeback under the tutelage of Emanuel Steward, the Kronk trainer. This also proved unsuccessful, as he went 2-2 in his last four fights. His last bout took place in Winnipeg, Canada on September 18, 1990, six days after his 32nd birthday. He lost a ten-round decision against Scott Papasadora.

This is the ugly side of boxing.
            Benitez was sparred hard growing up, he didn't develop a defensive style until later. His childhoold was kinda messed up as well. His father apparently organized street fights for him, and would pay kids to try and beat him up.

Then he came up going through gym wars with Esteban De Jesus, one of the great lightweights of his generation who also happened to be 7 years older than him. He was literally having gym wars with a De Jesus who had already beaten Roberto Duran, when he was 14 years old. It wasn't nice sparring either, if he was having a bad day and getting hit more than his father would like, he was made to get extra rounds, and get hit even more.

And people still wonder why he was shot by 26 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
              Benitez was sparred hard growing up, he didn't develop a defensive style until later. His childhoold was kinda messed up as well. His father apparently organized street fights for him, and would pay kids to try and beat him up.

Then he came up going through gym wars with Esteban De Jesus, one of the great lightweights of his generation who also happened to be 7 years older than him. He was literally having gym wars with a De Jesus who had already beaten Roberto Duran, when he was 14 years old. It wasn't nice sparring either, if he was having a bad day and getting hit more than his father would like, he was made to get extra rounds, and get hit even more.

And people still wonder why he was shot by 26 years old.
              Damn, that's brutal.

On a lighter note, he is like the Michael Jackson of boxing...

Comment

It looks like he's got some good people around him,but it's pretty heartbreaking to see him this way.

Comment

It's really sad to see his condition. He's gotten worse and worse over time poor guy. A tremendous talent and legendary fighter so sad to see his condition and really hard on the family to have dedicated their lives to assisting him full-time.

Comment

Pretty sad ! Wilfred was world Champ at 17 years of age his brain was still developing and taking hits by stronger men it was his skills that would win the fights against older stronger men. Just very sad I enjoyed watching his fights

Comment

Working...
                    X