No announcement yet.

The Lomachenko Step-Around

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lomachenko Step-Around

Taking a step is not new in boxing. Duh! But sometimes the way you take them might be. Once in a while a move is so identified with a fighter that his name must be included in the name of the move. An additional really good example is the Walcott Walk-Away. The Starling Stomp was another good example. How about the Ali Shuffle?

The Walcott walk-away I have never heard before. I just coined it. The move always needed a name anyway, Joe's name had to be in it.

Same with Lomachenko's step-around--his name had to be in it. Others have used it to some degree before. But both Mayweather and Pep only used it to scoot around to the back of their opponent like a standing doggie style, so the ref would then step in and break them up and they could start clean again. Lomachenko uses the halfway position to punch his man from the side. This is innovative. I cannot think of anyone before him who performs this move as easily as a jab. For decades in my mind I saw someone who was fast enough doing this. I wondered why the few guys who were fast enough never tried it, and certainly never developed it. Well, then someone came along.

The Lomachenko Step-Around.

It seems that Linares showed the way for others, he just couldnt keep up with it. He was stepping with Loma and turning with him.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
      It seems that Linares showed the way for others, he just couldnt keep up with it. He was stepping with Loma and turning with him.
      Yes, I noticed that. He was specifically defending against that move.

Comment

Is it similar to the Pacquiao step around?

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
          Taking a step is not new in boxing. Duh! But sometimes the way you take them might be. Once in a while a move is so identified with a fighter that his name must be included in the name of the move. An additional really good example is the Walcott Walk-Away. The Starling Stomp was another good example. How about the Ali Shuffle?

The Walcott walk-away I have never heard before. I just coined it. The move always needed a name anyway, Joe's name had to be in it.

Same with Lomachenko's step-around--his name had to be in it. Others have used it to some degree before. But both Mayweather and Pep only used it to scoot around to the back of their opponent like a standing doggie style, so the ref would then step in and break them up and they could start clean again. Lomachenko uses the halfway position to punch his man from the side. This is innovative. I cannot think of anyone before him who performs this move as easily as a jab. For decades in my mind I saw someone who was fast enough doing this. I wondered why the few guys who were fast enough never tried it, and certainly never developed it. Well, then someone came along.

The Lomachenko Step-Around.
          I thought Walcott had the dipsidoo.

Loma's step around seems unfair .
          He hits you with one two.
          And when you duck after, he just steps around you.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            Is it similar to the Pacquiao step around?
            No.
            Pac's left cross/lead then fall over to the safe side.
            Taught to him by Roach.

Comment

--- Young Hector Camacho had his "street" moves with more impromptu variations than Loma has.

Loma has respect for the game and ain't trying to clown you like Camacho was. Shame he never realized his potential because of drugs.

Young Hector vs seasoned Loma would be an aficionado fight for the ages. At 130 Hector had some pop too.

Comment

Jeffries was known for his step off to his right after avoiding an opponents punches.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                  Yes, I noticed that. He was specifically defending against that move.
                  I think a hard puncher with decent speed will give Loma nightmares.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                    I think a hard puncher with decent speed will give Loma nightmares.
                    Anyone fit that criteria?

Comment

Working...
                    X