No announcement yet.

Spence and The Truth About The Welterweight Division

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slicc View Post
    It's like the only big fighter at 147 who might fight Spence soon, is Crawford after he wins the WBO title. Keith "Sometimes" Thurman will call him out in 2019, Shawn "Go Time" Porter's hiding under Thurman's WBC belt, Snackuiao's trying to fight Lomachenko, and Danny "Gift" Garcia's putting in work on the cherry orchard.

All jokes aside, Spence is big at 147, so he might have to move up if he can't get a big fight. I think his latest match might've hurt his chances even more.
    I agree with every single thing written here - and we never agree.

Anyhow TC v Errol is for the WW throne !

Comment

Originally posted by larry spence View Post
      He will be a 154 soon, what fights would you like to see him in there?
      I think a match against Hurd and/or Jermell would be fun. Lara would probably outbox him, and Ali is food at 154.

Comment

Originally posted by Slicc View Post
        What narrative? Thurman straight up said he's not ready, and lied about being obligated to fight Porter. All of that came from Thurman's mouth.

Nobody's asking Thurman to fight Spence right now. Just don't expect fans to accept those lies and excuses. There's no guarantee that they'll both continue winning. What'll Thurman do if loses before he can face Spence?

Thurman's ducking Spence, because he has no good reason to delay the fight until 2019. Again, his excuses didn't make any sense.

Thurman proved that he's willing to fight everyone except Spence. He has no issues fighting Porter, a guy he already beat, and Jeff Horn the paper champ, but when it comes to Spence, all of a sudden he has a million and one excuses.

Canelo dropped his belt, just so he wouldn't have to fight GGG. Garcia didn't fight any decent welterweights before Thurman, and was definitely not eager to make that fight happen. Stop crying about people telling it like it is.

What fighter, in their right mind, would fight a prime ex-champion coming off of an injury and layoff? If Thurman's injury was so severe, why didn't he take an actual tune-up?
        The narrative and talk of Thurman "ducking" and by your own admission he shouldn't fight Spence now since he's coming back from a injury so he'll fight in March / April and if everything goes well another time this year probably Nov.

If he fought Spence in the first 1/4 of 2019 it's delaying the fight 6 months from when you think it should happen. So in a span of 6-8 months he goes from a champ that's proved he's been willing to fight everyone in the division to a ducking chump

And you can't see the negative narrative you and other fans like you are spinning. Just because you guys are impatient

Thurmans getting criticized and questioned by you because after a year lay off he decides to face a top 10 WW and jump back in the fire. Maybe because Thurman is a f.ucking champ and doing the exact thing you claim he won't do and challenge himself right off the bat . There's no winning with you lames if he fought a scrub next then he's criticized for that because he doesn't fight often and wasting his career fighting a bum

I'm not a Canelo fan but he was never scared of GGg, his team thought it he best to wait and he listened like any reasonable fighter would do, he ditched the belt because he views himself as bigger then the organizations and felt disrespected not fear

Danny Garcia was so hesitant to fight Thurman that he took a tune up after a long layoff to make sure he was at his best so he delayed the fight no longer then what 5 months. That really seems like a fighter that was forced into a fight he didn't want. You realize that sounds ******ed right

Yeah that's not ignoring the reality of the situation and going off emotion

You guys are building up Spence as this boogeyman just like you guys built up Thurman a couple years ago. Now it's Spence is scary and these elite levels fighters who have basically beat everyone and won since they were teenagers are threatened by another elite fighter that's done the same thing. F.uck off they're not built like you guys. Every challenge they've faced for like a decade they've been successful this is no different

Let Thurman & Spence beat a couple top 15 guys this year and set up a massive fight for 2019 it's not a bad thing it's the same with AJ/Wilder if everyone keeps winning and stays healthy it'll set up a big end of 2018 early 2019 with 2 huge fights

Comment

Originally posted by R_Walken View Post
          The narrative and talk of Thurman "ducking" and by your own admission he shouldn't fight Spence now since he's coming back from a injury so he'll fight in March / April and if everything goes well another time this year probably Nov.
          Again, what narrative? Thurman himself said that he's not ready, due to obligations he doesn't actually have. He's the one with a bunch of excuses, don't shoot the messenger.

Thurmans getting criticized and questioned by you because after a year lay off he decides to face a top 10 WW and jump back in the fire. Maybe because Thurman is a f.ucking champ and doing the exact thing you claim he won't do and challenge himself right off the bat . There's no winning with you lames if he fought a scrub next then he's criticized for that because he doesn't fight often and wasting his career fighting a bum
          You said that Thurman vs Spence is guaranteed to take place if they both keep winning. Thuman just put himself in a bad position, by taking on Vargas coming off an injury and layoff. Again, if his injury was so bad, then why's he fighting a guy of Vargas' caliber right away? How is Vargas a tune-up? When did I say that Thurman should've challenged himself right off the bat? I think you're confused.

I'm not a Canelo fan but he was never scared of GGg, his team thought it he best to wait and he listened like any reasonable fighter would do, he ditched the belt because he views himself as bigger then the organizations and felt disrespected not fear
          Oh yeah, he was so fearless he handed GGG his belt, then started beefing with the WBC for trying to do their jobs. He's bigger than the organizations, which is why he moved back down to 154, to beat a paper champion for one of the organizations' belts. Are you really gullible enough to actually believe what you told me, and do you really think I'm gullible enough to believe you?

Danny Garcia was so hesitant to fight Thurman that he took a tune up after a long layoff to make sure he was at his best so he delayed the fight no longer then what 5 months. That really seems like a fighter that was forced into a fight he didn't want. You realize that sounds ******ed right
          Garcia's been fighting twice a year for years now. When is he not coming off a layoff? He took a layoff for no good reason, beat a club fighter, then got outboxed and stunned by Thurman. Cherry boy didn't have to fight any decent ww's for that WBC belt. They handed it to him for beating a washed up Guerrero. Did Garcia ever try to fight any decent ww's when he was on the come-up at 147?

You guys are building up Spence as this boogeyman just like you guys built up Thurman a couple years ago. Now it's Spence is scary and these elite levels fighters who have basically beat everyone and won since they were teenagers are threatened by another elite fighter that's done the same thing. F.uck off they're not built like you guys. Every challenge they've faced for like a decade they've been successful this is no different
          Okay, so why would Thurman call out other ww's, but dismiss Spence? Why isn't Porter trying to get his belt back? Why did a mediocre jww step up to Spence, but not any of the top names at 147?

Let Thurman & Spence beat a couple top 15 guys this year and set up a massive fight for 2019 it's not a bad thing it's the same with AJ/Wilder if everyone keeps winning and stays healthy it'll set up a big end of 2018 early 2019 with 2 huge fights
          Again, there's no guarantee that Thurman and Spence will keep winning, especially when the former's taking a dangerous fight coming off an injury and layoff.
          Last edited by Slicc; 01-23-2018, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
            I'm not blaming Thurman for not fighting Spence. I'm pointing out his hypocrisy & how he's trying to be Floyd but hasn't put in the work to be Floyd & squandered his opportunity. Read some of my other posts where I said Spence should move up next year if Thurman still on that BS. The same way i was saying GGG should move up. I even said Thurman ain't getting past Vargas.
            The difference is that Spence has the frame to fight at LMW or MW. Golovkin doesn't have the size for the upper divisions. And there was no money above either.

And I don't think Spence should move up. He should reign in the WW division. Though he will probably be forced to move up by father time because he's too big.

Comment

Spence needs to stay right at 147 and keep scoring KOs.
              There is no need to move up when he hasn’t unified or cleaned out the division. Either his rivals fight him or they should go find a new division.
              Or they could try to wait until he gets old but it’s a long wait.

Comment

The division is pretty bare so Spence/Thurman should be quick and easy to make. TC cant fight him because of obvious promoter issues, which is sad really.

Comment

Working...
                X