No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs McGregor breaks first official PPV record

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayweather vs McGregor breaks first official PPV record

While Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor failed to surpass the 2015 Mayweather and Manny Pacquaio record for the highest gate, they are still sitting pretty at the number two spot. Despite not setting the record for the live gate, the Mayweather and McGregor madness has set a new official pay-per-view (PPV) record.

Boxing News reported on Thursday that Sky Sports confirmed that the Mayweather vs. McGregor event set a new PPV record in the U.K. Sky reported that the PPV numbers surpassed 1 million buys. The Mayweather and McGregor event broke the previous record set by Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko, who fought in April at the Wembley Stadium in London in a heavyweight boxing championship match.

In 2015, Mayweather and Pacquiao brought in 700,000 PPV buys in the U.K. and 4.6 million buys in the U.S. Showtime executive Stephen Espinoza has stated that the Mayweather and McGregor event is currently in the mid 4 million range and numbers have not yet been finalized as they continue to be tallied up.

While the numbers seem to be very far from Dana White’s 6.5 million number thrown out on social media, Mayweather and McGregor still have a good chance to break the all-time PPV record set in 2015.

As U.K. numbers continue to come in, early indications have the Mayweather and McGregor bout bringing in over £20 million, which converts to over $26 million. Prices overseas for the fight were much lower than in the U.S. as the fight was priced around $26 in the U.K. and $30 in Ireland compared to $89.95 for standard definition and $99.95 for high definition in the states.

http://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/conor...al-ppv-record/

Expected a lot of Irish to buy the UK event...I mean, they were stupid enough to sell out for press conference tickets although they were originally free lol

Good to see the truth about the gate numbers has come out.

What is really surprising me is how the UK figures (very rarely officially released by SKY) have been released before the US figures, 2 weeks after the fight, when SHOW or HBO normally release those figures a lot quicker. I assume they are trying their best to create an environment where they can sell us "it did 4.7 million buys" lol

Comment

So did this fight break 5 million buys or not?

Comment

I mean cmon, Floyd was insinuating Guinness Book last week. He easily gets insider dibs since its "him."

Comment

Conor Mcgregor should enlist the help of (The Mayweather's) during his next training camps! For a white man, Mcgregor does have a lot of natural co-ordination and rhythm! If the Mayweather's can teach him to improve his punching technique, I can see him fighting against Malignaggi! (And this kind of training specific help will help him within the UFC!)...

Comment

Funny how that one guy who is always going on about how fans shouldn't care about numbers or profits because they aren't getting a slice of the money seems so invested in Floyd not doing record breaking records.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirko Troll Cop View Post
              I mean cmon, Floyd was insinuating Guinness Book last week. He easily gets insider dibs since its "him."
              "insider dibs"... more like putting money in their pockets.

"uh uh say the fight did uh uh where's ellerbe at? uh say the fight did $4.7 million buys. uh here take this money".

Comment

Working...
              X