No announcement yet.

Prime Ali vs Prime Marciano: Who wins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pusnuts View Post
    Marciano was not unlike a slightly worse Marco Huck imo, some really bad comp he faced, it was his physical strength and chin that elevated him, scientific approach has moved sport along in light years
    Yeah I always link Frazier,Marciano and Huck together as well.
    In fact if you turn the colour down on a Huck fight it is just like watching Marciano.
    Wow

Comment

• Originally posted by WalkerSmithJnr View Post
      When you look at an Ali Marciano fight you have to consider Ali Frazier.
      As to who is better out of Marciano Frazier that is tricky. I think that Frazier would beat all of Marciano's opponents h2h and that Marciano beats all of Frazier's wins with the big question mark being Ali.
      Don't think Ali ko's Marciano and doubt Marciano ko's Ali so we're looking at a stoppage or a decision.
      Marciano was prone to cuts so that leans to Ali but I can see Marciano out working Ali over 15 rounds.
      I can see a Ali Marciano trilogy playing out very similar to the Ali Frazier trilogy in that Marciano's best chance would be the first fight, after that Ali might have a plan on how to nullify him. I think it is a fascinating fight and think people do seem to have overlooked a few points. I think the referee's style might be a bigger factor than Ali or Marciano's style. If Marciano got an easy going referee with his rough housing and potential cuts then he has a chance. Refereeing like Perez in Ali Frazier 2 kills Marciano's chances.
      I think Buster Mathis at 6'3 with reach who moved around alot would potentially give Marciano a problem .Mathis was up on scorecards with Frazier after 7 rnds . Frazier was taller ,llonger than Marciano was which to me is the deciding factor as little as it was .Frazier also never cut ,had Marciano had to take punishment chasing Ali around its not to his advantage where Frazier also not a better defense than Marciano but has the ability not to rely throwing from 3 feet away to land something big with a moving target ,this also comes down to footwork ,add all that up i believe it ranks over Marcianos power which im not sure how much greater it actually was compared to a 70/74 Frazier . I dont necessarily see anyone that Marciano fought giving Frazier trouble . Marciano vs 60's Frazier could be interesting ,Frazier was still developing .

Comment

• Originally posted by WalkerSmithJnr View Post
        Yeah I always link Frazier,Marciano and Huck together as well.
        In fact if you turn the colour down on a Huck fight it is just like watching Marciano.
        Wow
        Please stop. Huck couldn't walk a day in Marcianos boots.

Comment

• Rock was super tough but Ali was a whole other level of fighter. He had pretty much everything in the arsenal you could ever want as a boxer/fighter.
          Rocky doesn't have the defence to cope with the onslaught of point scoring jabs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kiwi Nick View Post
            Rock was super tough but Ali was a whole other level of fighter. He had pretty much everything in the arsenal you could ever want as a boxer/fighter.
            Rocky doesn't have the defence to cope with the onslaught of point scoring jabs.
            Rocky had great defense.

Comment

• He'd still lose to Ali.

Comment

• I don't get this whole Marciano has great defense thing, he was adequate but not a defensive wizard, he took alot of punishment. I'll always say this, prime ali of the 60s? Rocky would get cut, and cut badly and the fight would be stopped. Marciano would have a better time against ali of the 70s, but it'd still be close as that ali was a master of the clinch and I believe punched harder, and still faster than all the heavyweights of the day.

Comment

• Its going to points, who can land the most?

Comment

• Originally posted by sleazyfellow View Post
                    I don't get this whole Marciano has great defense thing, he was adequate but not a defensive wizard, he took alot of punishment. I'll always say this, prime ali of the 60s? Rocky would get cut, and cut badly and the fight would be stopped. Marciano would have a better time against ali of the 70s, but it'd still be close as that ali was a master of the clinch and I believe punched harder, and still faster than all the heavyweights of the day.
                    1960s Ali doesn't have the chin to stand up to a left hook from Marciano. 1970s does but he takes far more punishment and is in danger of being stopped himself.

Comment

• Ali himself admitted that Rocky would have given him alot of problems just like Dempsey would have, and that on a given night Rocky could have outpointed him and probly knocked him down

Comment

Working...
                      X