Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The all new, Mayweather/Pac Master Discussion Thread - The fight that will never be.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Floyd doesn't take the fight

I think his ATG status has to be seriously questioned. He has beaten some very good fighters like Cotto, Castillo, etc and despite a few criticisms of guys being weight drained (dlh dropping from mw) or blown up (Jmm lw to ww) Floyd has never been in serious jeapardy of losing.

But his main challenger for years has been the global icon Manny Pacquiao. Now we've all heard the back and forth demands about blood and steroids and money but the fact is Manny is willing to make it happen while so far Floyd is not.

If he retires without ever fighting Pac IMO Floyd's credentials as an ATG will be scrutinized. He could retire and still be a great fighter of this era, but without Manny any discussion of all time great is misplaced.

Comment

• You must be the biggest Floyd fan on here man,cause i swear thats all you talk about

Comment

• Originally posted by Larry.X. View Post
        You must be the biggest Floyd fan on here man,cause i swear thats all you talk about
        Maybe.

I would hate to see him be remembered as the guy who dared to be great but ducked his toughest challenger.

Comment

• I agree though he needs to fight Pac so he can go down as the very best of his era if he beats him.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

• I think his place is pretty secure, however if the fight never comes off that leaves a lot open to interpretation so it would be a fair question to debate.

Still that would be hell for a lot of people because Floyd would be getting talked about forever even after he is gone, specifically about the Manny fight oh man dudes would be so bitter.

Comment

• double post
              Last edited by Bullrider; 09-21-2012, 11:31 PM.

Comment

• Right now people are not even thinking about Paq/May. Fans are focused on who he is going to fight next, since he refused the Paq fight again, as we all know. He has to come up with a name. If he decides to wait for Paq, he will not be in a position to dictate the fight because he would have to initiate the negotiation which he is too arrogant to do.

I'd settle for Canelo vs Mayweather at this point held on January, February next year, doesn't matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                  I think his place is pretty secure, however if the fight never comes off that leaves a lot open to interpretation so it would be a fair question to debate.

Still that would be hell for a lot of people because Floyd would be getting talked about forever even after he is gone, specifically about the Manny fight oh man dudes would be so bitter.
                  Yeah I think his ego would be hurt until his dying days. Manny is loved by the people and he could retire right now as a hero to hundreds of millions of people so I think as far as his legacy it's safe without floyd. Manny will sleep at night. I just don't think Floyd will have the same future outcome if he ducks this fight.

Comment

• The fight is so 2009.

The safety first style isn't going to inspire people to root for him. He's respected and despite his style and personality he's become incredibly successful in drawing big PPV number's of those who want to see him beaten. In relation to being 'The People's Champion' like Pacquiao (as you suggest), He tried that approach when the Olympics was over and despite putting on some of the best boxing clinics no one gave a ****. Then he destroyed media darling and fan favorite in gatti and the rest is history.

I found this except from SRR: Bright Lights & Dark Shadows of a Champion.
                    "There's a quirk in American Hero worship, That I think people love you more if you've been humbled once or twice, if you're seen vulnerable, if you have a weakness. As with Robinson after he lost when he reached a level of being a mere mortal not a god, then he became more popular and more loved." - Jack Newfield
                    Last edited by damuttz112; 09-21-2012, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lparm View Post
                      Yeah I think his ego would be hurt until his dying days. Manny is loved by the people and he could retire right now as a hero to hundreds of millions of people so I think as far as his legacy it's safe without floyd. Manny will sleep at night. I just don't think Floyd will have the same future outcome if he ducks this fight.
                      I don't agree with that, if the fight doesn't happen Manny has to deal with the same exact questions. The fight not happening would be a stain on both of them as they both are not free from blame. Sure it will be different groups detracting from either guy but both sides will always keep chirping~

Like I said a lot would be left up to interpretation and all those questions would be fair for both sides.

Comment

Working...
                      X