Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reflections on HBO now they're ending boxing...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflections on HBO now they're ending boxing...

Back when I first heard HBO, back in the 90s, they were really quite good. Sure, you'd still get stuff like Lampley's "we've got a new heavyweight champion of the world... and he's a freakin' AMERICAN!!!! MAGA!! God bless apple pie!" but they were decent. Back in those days Larry would start a sentence and finish it in the same round.

Then it went to shit. Larry became senile, bless him. Broadcasts would see him piss and shit himself uncontrollably. They got in a fanboy in Max Kellercunt, with an AMAZINGLY anNOYing way of SPEAKing. A real fanboy who quoted boxrec stats and talked fanboyish bullshit... and was, not surprisingly, popular with some NSB posters.

It got worse....

JIM LAMPLEY:
    Lampley went senile, too. Who can forget that Pacquiao fight where his mind snapped, and his commentary basically consisted of him going "there's some punches! Bang! Bang! Boom! Boomity boom! KAPOW!"

Then there was his downright weird habit of adopting another country's accent if he had to say the name of any foreign country. Who can forget when he introduced Michael Katsidis and put on his best Steve Irwin voice to say "... from Australia". It reminds me of when I went to Fat Yankistan on holiday, and this girl told me her aunt was from England. When I asked her where from, she suddenly starts putting on this weird, "butler at Dracula's house in a 1930s Universal movie" accent, and went "Maaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnchester". I thought the silly cunt was having a stroke.

HAROLD LEDERMAN:
    The first time I heard Harold I thought it was a fucking joke. The guy sounds like Mickey Mouse or some shit. Can't they afford someone whose balls have dropped? I dunno what shits me about Harold more, his crappy concept of scoring a fight, or the way he introduces judges as really crap at their job, but then says they'll do a good job anyway:

"OKAY JIM! Jim, I gotta tell ya.... dis guy's just charging forward, landing fuck all, and getting hit in the face 500 times a round and he goes forward like a fuckin' retard. Jim, ya gotta give him every single round because he's the aggressor - YOU JUST GOTTA! 10 rounds to nuthin', the guy walking forward doing fuck all but getting hit in da face......... JIM!"

"Jim, I've seen all three judges before. They haven't worked in any major title fights, and when they have scored fights, they've always struck me as being completely fucking retarded, having no fucking clue what they're doing whatsoever. They'll do a good job here tonight."

MAX:
    To be fair, Max has been less annoying lately, at least comparatively speaking. What really gets me about HBO is that they just never shut. the. fuck. up. I like commentary teams, but I don't need them talking CONSTANTLY. Imagine if you were watching a fight with a friend and they NEVER shut up. You'd be like "pipe down cunt, I'm trying to have a wank here", wouldn't you?

LARRY:
    As discussed, Larry was my favourite (favorite, Fat Yanks) and senility killed him off as a presenter. But it comes to us all, right? Just look at Colonel Bob Sheridan, now commentating on small broadcast outlets. Back in the mid 70s Sheridan gave an exceptionally accurate and knowledgeable breakdown of the Rumble in the Jungle, picking out the moment Ali was stunned, and predicting his tactics. Whereas if you hear him nowadays he'll be saying stuff like "I'm enjoying this fight... the giraffe with the pineapple in his anus is ahead on my card, 197-3. I think the corner of the goldfish and lobster hybrid may throw in the towel." Guy's lost his fucking marbles, bless him.

ROYSTON "ROY" JONES JR:
    The shite talker of the bunch, Roy is there just to be the "expert" of the group, which is pretty fucking laughable when the subtext of punch resistance comes up. But what this means is that Roy has to start every sentence with "I disagree, Max..." even if Max, on a good day, says something sensible. Royston will also come out with the stupidest, most incoherent bullshit you've ever heard, assuring suicide-contemplating listeners that "He done gone do how he do, Max, and as you can see, that's how he do gone do."

Basically, they all need putting out of their misery. Where's James Butler when you need him?

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
    Back when I first heard HBO, back in the 90s, they were really quite good. Sure, you'd still get stuff like Lampley's "we've got a new heavyweight champion of the world... and he's a freakin' AMERICAN!!!! MAGA!! God bless apple pie!" but they were decent. Back in those days Larry would start a sentence and finish it in the same round.

Then it went to shit. Larry became senile, bless him. Broadcasts would see him piss and shit himself uncontrollably. They got in a fanboy in Max Kellercunt, with an AMAZINGLY anNOYing way of SPEAKing. A real fanboy who quoted boxrec stats and talked fanboyish bullshit... and was, not surprisingly, popular with some NSB posters.

It got worse....

JIM LAMPLEY:
    Lampley went senile, too. Who can forget that Pacquiao fight where his mind snapped, and his commentary basically consisted of him going "there's some punches! Bang! Bang! Boom! Boomity boom! KAPOW!"

Then there was his downright weird habit of adopting another country's accent if he had to say the name of any foreign country. Who can forget when he introduced Michael Katsidis and put on his best Steve Irwin voice to say "... from Australia". It reminds me of when I went to Fat Yankistan on holiday, and this girl told me her aunt was from England. When I asked her where from, she suddenly starts putting on this weird, "butler at Dracula's house in a 1930s Universal movie" accent, and went "Maaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnchester". I thought the silly cunt was having a stroke.

HAROLD LEDERMAN:
    The first time I heard Harold I thought it was a fucking joke. The guy sounds like Mickey Mouse or some shit. Can't they afford someone whose balls have dropped? I dunno what shits me about Harold more, his crappy concept of scoring a fight, or the way he introduces judges as really crap at their job, but then says they'll do a good job anyway:

"OKAY JIM! Jim, I gotta tell ya.... dis guy's just charging forward, landing fuck all, and getting hit in the face 500 times a round and he goes forward like a fuckin' retard. Jim, ya gotta give him every single round because he's the aggressor - YOU JUST GOTTA! 10 rounds to nuthin', the guy walking forward doing fuck all but getting hit in da face......... JIM!"

"Jim, I've seen all three judges before. They haven't worked in any major title fights, and when they have scored fights, they've always struck me as being completely fucking retarded, having no fucking clue what they're doing whatsoever. They'll do a good job here tonight."

MAX:
    To be fair, Max has been less annoying lately, at least comparatively speaking. What really gets me about HBO is that they just never shut. the. fuck. up. I like commentary teams, but I don't need them talking CONSTANTLY. Imagine if you were watching a fight with a friend and they NEVER shut up. You'd be like "pipe down cunt, I'm trying to have a wank here", wouldn't you?

LARRY:
    As discussed, Larry was my favourite (favorite, Fat Yanks) and senility killed him off as a presenter. But it comes to us all, right? Just look at Colonel Bob Sheridan, now commentating on small broadcast outlets. Back in the mid 70s Sheridan gave an exceptionally accurate and knowledgeable breakdown of the Rumble in the Jungle, picking out the moment Ali was stunned, and predicting his tactics. Whereas if you hear him nowadays he'll be saying stuff like "I'm enjoying this fight... the giraffe with the pineapple in his anus is ahead on my card, 197-3. I think the corner of the goldfish and lobster hybrid may throw in the towel." Guy's lost his fucking marbles, bless him.

ROYSTON "ROY" JONES JR:
    The shite talker of the bunch, Roy is there just to be the "expert" of the group, which is pretty fucking laughable when the subtext of punch resistance comes up. But what this means is that Roy has to start every sentence with "I disagree, Max..." even if Max, on a good day, says something sensible. Royston will also come out with the stupidest, most incoherent bullshit you've ever heard, assuring suicide-contemplating listeners that "He done gone do how he do, Max, and as you can see, that's how he do gone do."

Basically, they all need putting out of their misery. Where's James Butler when you need him?
    whole thread was funny but i burst out laughing at that

Comment

They were the big show, I'll give them that. If you didn't know anything about boxing, HBO was the pinnacle of how to put on a fight. Hardcores can easily criticize a lot of the selling in the commentary, and the matchmaking. But, I honestly admit I wish every network could put on a show like HBO because none of them are at that level in all areas.

Comment

The first time I heard Harold I thought it was a ****ing joke. The guy sounds like Mickey Mouse or some ****. Can't they afford someone whose balls have dropped? I dunno what ****s me about Harold more, his crappy concept of scoring a fight, or the way he introduces judges as really crap at their job, but then says they'll do a good job anyway:

"OKAY JIM! Jim, I gotta tell ya.... dis guy's just charging forward, landing **** all, and getting hit in the face 500 times a round and he goes forward like a ****in' ******. Jim, ya gotta give him every single round because he's the aggressor - YOU JUST GOTTA! 10 rounds to nuthin', the guy walking forward doing **** all but getting hit in da face......... JIM!"
        I'm f*king dead

Comment

Meh, no one put the show together like HBO.

I'll miss them. Watching on low budget ESPN, PBC and even Showtime won't be the same. Saw some DAZN fights last night, and the productions were "aight."

A big time boxing match on HBO was an event. The suits were crisp. The lighting was perfect. The HD was magnificent. The commentary team was the best in the business. The celebrities spotted added to the glamour.

Once Lampley left it was the beginning of the end. They weren't perfect, but I loved listening to this team call a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            They were the big show, I'll give them that. If you didn't know anything about boxing, HBO was the pinnacle of how to put on a fight. Hardcores can easily criticize a lot of the selling in the commentary, and the matchmaking. But, I honestly admit I wish every network could put on a show like HBO because none of them are at that level in all areas.

Exactly. Sometimes they went against my fighter and carried the other guy or glorified them, but their production skills were high quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion81 View Post
              A big time boxing match on HBO was an event. The suits were crisp. The lighting was perfect. The HD was magnificent. The commentary team was the best in the business.
              I was with you up to the last point...

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
                I was with you up to the last point...
                If you take the whole package, I don't know what team was better. Trust me, they irritated the **** out of me when they were biased against my fighters multiple times, but overall thought they were solid.

Comment

Also I'm surprised Max gets a lot of hate on here. I find his boxing analysis to be top notch. Same with Roy.

Comment

Remember KO Nation

Comment

Working...
                    X