Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did people wanted Floyd to fight GGG? That's like Leonard going up to fight Tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JasonBoxing View Post
    Floyd was a natural 135 pounder, GGG is a natural SMW that fights as a middle weight.

Did we all want Leonard going up in weight to fight Tyson back in the 80's...........smh
    I disagree with you. Mayweather was a lightweight when he was very young, He developed into a very muscular full sized welterweight. Just look at his body in his welterweight fights. He is very muscular with no extra fat. He would drain the hell out of himself if he tried to make lightweight anytime after he started fighting as a welterweight. He was 130 when he was 21 but he slowly but surely grew into a full welterweight. He was supposed to fight Marquez at a catch weight of 144 but he couldn't or wouldn't go lower than 146. GGG is NOT a natural super middleweight. He even offered to drop to 154 to fight Mayweather when Mayweather held 2 world titles at 154. GGG weighs about 170 on fight night and that is what most middleweights weigh on fight night. In fact Lara, Hurd, Trout and Jermell Charlo all weighed 168 on fight night for their last fights. You should start paying attention to fight night weights before you call middleweights super middleweights. I think the reason some fans want Mayweather to fight GGG is because Mayweather beat the hell out of Canelo while Canelo fought on even terms with GGG. The thing the don't understand or don't agree with is that the 28 year old 160 pound Canelo who fought GGG is ten times the fighter that the 23 year old 152 pound Canelo who fought Mayweather while Mayweather is 5 years older and worse now than he was then. Either Canelo or GGG slaughter Mayweather today in my opinion.

Comment

Golovkin is not a natural super middleweight and Floyd is not a natural lightweight..

Comment

Floyd was a natural 135 pounder, GGG is a natural SMW that fights as a middle weight.

Did we all want Leonard going up in weight to fight Tyson back in the 80's...........smh
        Not a close comparison at all. Though im not one of those guys who were pushing for GGG-Floyd, as I don’t see it making sense at 160lbs for Floyd.
        But to say Floyd is a natural 135 is insane, he only fought there a few times when he’s body was still growing and developing. Floyd grew, as most athletes do, as time passed into a full pledge welter. He is by no means a natural 135lber. He is significantly bigger than Marquez and Pacquiao. And he couldn’t even make 144lbs 9 years ago.

Pound for pound Floyd beats GGG with relative ease.
        Those who were pushing for the fight are either Floyd haters and/or those who werent really satisfied with Floyd’s victories. He has never put himself in a position of disadvantage where he’ll surprise many of the results. He is always expected to win, now that speaks volumes on how great he is or how great he engineered every detail of his fights, and it’s probably a bit of both.
        He had great names in his resume, but none of them where in their absolute primes apart from maybe castillo, and corrales regardless of who’s fault was it. So you could understand the demand for GGG, people are like cmon do something you’re not expected to do kinda thing. Like he did against Corrales, arguably his best win.

In comparison Sugar ray Leonard has: benetiz, duran, hagler, hearns.

Now it’d be a shame to compare Prime corrales and castillo in there right?

So point is, it is totally understandable where those demands were coming from.
        They want the TBE, as he proclaimed, to do something only a tbe level could.

And like I said regardless of who’s fault was it, if cotto fight happened in 2008, pac fight in 2009, Marg in 2009, Oscar and mosley fight in 2001-2004, Canelo at 154, Marquez at 144.
        He would have straight up proclaimed by everyone the GOAT! He wouldn’t even feel the need to say em. No one would have been demanding floyd for GGG as he would have shut up and impressed everyone (and i know he could have). But then he doesn’t do that, he leaves you with questions and issues aplenty.

Comment

It would be the same as Leonard fighting Hagler.The top welterweight against the top middleweight.But we know Leonard has more guts than Floyd

Comment

Doesn’t he claim he’s TBE ? Duran former Light Weight Champ fought Marvin Haggler who was better than GGG . He also fought and beat Iran Barkley who was much bigger than Duran. So in my eyes he’s not TBE cause Roberto Duran accomplish much greater feats than him

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyrider View Post
              It would be the same as Leonard fighting Hagler.The top welterweight against the top middleweight.But we know Leonard has more guts than Floyd
              Almost the same, as Golovkin was more than willing to meet in the middle and fight Floyd at 154.

Comment

Duran did against hagler. Do your research and also get up withthe times...nobody cares anymore lol

Comment

They had a 20 lb weight difference fight night you dumbie. Floyd also turned pro at 19 at a much earlier age and grew into his weight.

Comment

I wouldn’t have minded Golovkin vs. Mayweather at 154lbs. That is the only guy I believe Golovkin would have gone down for because of the crazy money and knowing Floyd is not a MW.

That said a bit extreme on the comparison between Leonard and Tyson but yes Floyd is the smaller fighter. That said Golovkin is not a natural SMW, he is a middleweight. You are inflating the variance between the two too much. There is clearly a difference but if isn’t the chasm you are thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyrider View Post
                      I think Floyd is just a tad smaller than SRL. But not smaller than Duran.

If you want to make a comparison I’d say Duran going up against Haglar is more up your alley.

Comment

Working...
                      X